It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Night Sweats 3 wks after surgery - Worried PLS HELP

Hi,
I am about 3.5 weeks out from my ACDF C-5/6. I am doing really well overall, but am having TERRIBLE night sweats (which I have never had in my life). When I was in the hospital, I had fevers and I ran a fever for about 1 week after surgery (like 100.1). I called the dr and he was not worried. The fevers went away during week 2.

Now for about the past week, I am soaking the sheets due to my sweating at night only. I looked up these symptoms and am now worried because they say that it could be a sign of infection.

Has anyone else encountered this? BTW, I hardly take any pain meds anymore - so I don't think it is from the meds.

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

Rustysgurl HB User
Re: Night Sweats 3 wks after surgery - Worried PLS HELP

I had the same thing happen after my second surgery (fusion). I asked the doctor, and he had no other explanation other than it may be the body's reaction to anesthesia. It took about 6 months for things to get back to normal. Still, you might want to have your hormones and/or thyroid checked.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sometimes the meds themselves can cause night sweats.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I am sorry you are going thru this. Sometimes the meds can cause this but if you had ran a fever you want to check with the Dr. and make sure you don't have any infection.

Good luck keep us posted.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You will have them for a while. I usually sweat for a cople of month nights only afther each surgery i had.
I was explained that actually it is very healty: anesthesia is not a very healthy thing for our body and with sweat cleans the system through the pores.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

I just called the dr office. The nurse said that it is probably because I tapered down the pain meds too quickly. She said if it were infection, I'd have a fever and other symptoms. Made me feel better (I guess).

Thanks for the posts and support.
Lisa

Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Anytime, that is what we are here for to provide support to one another.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
(female)

bailey07 HB User

I am on natural estrogen replacement and was having no problems. After surgery I started having hot flashes and they continue to this day. I think the anesthesia and pain meds have messed up my system. I figure I just have to wait this out. It is very annoying, but hang in there.
Bailey07

Old 05-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Lisa,

Have you ever thought that perhaps as a result of the surgery that you could possible be diabetic?

I have had this happen as a result of my Back fusion on the 12th of Febryary, it sounds that this might be a possibility, I had night sweats and checked it during these times, My blood sugars were high and I had to give myself an injection from time to time....

I was very suprised that it was a result from the surgery that pushed my blood sugar over the edge, I would ask the doctor and have some blood drawn. AS a reslult of the sugar the pancreas is working over time. Are you drinking alot of water? Are you always thirsty?

These were signs and symptoms that had the doctor came up with during the pre- eurgery physical and it showed that my blood sugar was high before the surgery and the surgery pushed it over the edge. Diabetic things are not to be taken lightly. I would call and ask the Doc and see what he or she has to say.

Roy

Old 05-05-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Roy
Where you diabetic before the surgery?

Just wondering because I have the opposite where the sugar falls and I get the shakes and sweats and have to eat something. This got worse after the surgery also

Old 05-05-2007, 04:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I was doing this to thought it was the oxycontin

Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering how severe your herniation was and whether or not it was actually affecting your cord to any degree?there could be a couple of possible explanations for the night sweats suddenly starting up.there is always the chance when having any spinal surgery that part of your sympathetic chain was affected or damaged.there is also whats called the the spinothalamic tract within your cord(mine was severely damaged during my surgery) too that governs your response to hot,cold and pain,it also regulates some level of body temp and sweating.these are just some possibilities.

do you have any other strange,weird or plain freaky type of symptoms going on or that you have experienced since your surgery?are both of your pupils equal and reactive to light?Is one always in constriction and the other a bit bigger?any drooping of an eyelid?these would be possible indicators of a horners syndrome.i have this from my SNS being damaged during my spinal cord surgery.just some scarey signs that only indicate some level of SNS affectation and nothing seriously wrong within your brain or anything.its the affectation of a muslce from the SNS damage.since the sympathetic chain actually runs down the outside of both sides of the outter vertebrae,it is always possible to actually damage this with any spinal surgery done to us,not just at the cord level alone.if you have noticed ANY strange neuro symptoms that just struck you as odd,could you let me know just what those were or are?it would just help me to help you a bit better.marcia

Old 05-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Clove,

I was called pre diabeitc when they lowered the scenario by 10 points I then became diabetic and just watched what I ate. After he surgery it was ful blown diabetic scenario. I check myu blood 3 to 4 times a day and really watch what I eat. This week it has went up to 195 once in the evening at 10 ish. I n the morning it is in the 130s for the most part. Some times lower at the evening time it is around 85 when I get home from work.

If your levels get to low as mine were for a while it is just as bad and can do more damage to your body as going above 200. It is nothing to mess with as we all know it slows sown the circulation in the body, which causes the result of possible amputations; blindness, and just a few others. It can be life threating and go into a "dabetic coma"; If one wathces what they eat and exercise and uses common sense it is managable. Mine was giving me some problems because I was being over medicated. Once we got that under control things are very good for the most part.

Roy

Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Roy
I am sorry that it advanced so fast for you. My husband is a diabetic but not insulin dependent. His whole family has issues and he is the only one that is on oral meds. He also has alot of heart problems which the 2 go hand in hand.

I keep a close eye on mine. It is hard to find a Dr that takes me seriously they think when they take my blood and it is in the 90's that it is great. It has gotten as low as 52. I take my own reading and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the info. The surgery must of been just enough to throw you over the edge.

I also crave sweets now which I never used to. This has just started since the back surgery.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Clove,

I totally understand what yu are saying, I was at the VA hospital one day for an follow up from an MRI of my brain due to a Chaire Malformation or "ACM1" that it seems that I was born with. This is basically where the mid brain for some reason starts sliding down and puts pressure on the spine / causes head aches and numbness and other stuff. At this point it is just labeled as a mild a case and we just keep an eye from it about once a year with the MRI unless things start really getting bad. I did the usuall breakfast and went to the appt. at about 10;00 and appt time I started to get the shakes and I knew that things were not correct and I told the Nurse / he checked it and it was about 56 he did not mess around and I spent most of the day in the ER unitll they did 3 difffernet blood tests and got it back up to118 and then they told me to go home and eat. It is when I was on Actos 15mg and glyburide as well. I think I spelled the last med wrong but I am not good with the greek spellings.

I could eat and 2 hours later I was crashing as you experince so to speak. I still take emeregency foods to work and keep somethng in the pickup just in case something would happen and it will hopefully be something that I never need; but just enough to keep me out of trouble if you know what I mean. There is the site on the board for diabetics and I have learned so much from the site just as I do from this site. This board is such a fantastic thing to have as a tool and meet and make life long BUDS on the net. AS I have said before the people here are the best of the best...

Take care hugs and kisses to all
Yvette take care and you are my super women...

Roy

Closed Thread