It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
(male)

donkinuts HB User
Unhappy Pain on lower left of spine, near buttocks

I got hurt about 1.5 years ago. Seems like conditions is not getting better. The pain I have is around the lower back area around the boney part, just above the buttocks. I wonder if anyone here knows what might be damaged.

I was thinking of getting a discrogram but got frightened to death by that message on this website :" Say no to disco!" I know there are risks involved in any time of medical procedure but is this guy for real?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User
Re: Pain on lower left of spine, near buttocks

First of all I wanted to say welcome to the back boards and I just wanted to let you know that you've come to a wonderful site with wonderful people. I would like to know have you seen a doc yet for the pain you are having? And if so have they done any xrays, mri, ct, etc, just to get an idea of whats going on. A discogram is used when they already know you have a disc problem and they are checking for leaks, pain, etc. I hope you feel better soon.
Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi and welcome to the board!! Have you had an MRI done? If not, that would be a great place to start. If you have had pain for 1 1/2 years, it definitely needs to be diagnosed and a workup done.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

I think you need to see a Dr. first and get some test done. Don't worry about the discogram until you have to have it done. Then just realize that it is the best test there is for determining disc damage. It can determine which surgery you will have. If there is no leakage of the disc you will only feel a little pressure. You need to see what is going on in the area of pain first. Might not have anything to do with a disc. Set you mind at ease and see someone real soon. Keep us posted and Good Luck

Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
(male)

dub1 HB User

This could be anything...not even disc related, could be a problem with the facet joints, pars, or some level of herniation impinging on the nerve. The last step before surgery is a discogram and that is only used if a clear diagnosis cannot be determined via CT scans, MRI's, or reg x-rays. I would not wait to get the ball rolling you will only be risking yourself some long term problems. The first step is to call your family doc and go from there. It is a long road to travel but at least you will be getting relief hopefully. Good luck.
Stenosis
Nerve damage R/L
L5-S1 fusion w/hardware
L-4 herniated
Dorsal column spinal stimulator
Bi-Polar,Gen. Anxiety disorder

Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
(male)

donkinuts HB User

I did get an MRI done last year, I dont know if it is any good since it is almost 10 months old. Well I went to a doctor two weeks ago and he suggested a discogram due to the reasons that there was an area on the MRI that looked questionable. Plus I told him that pain is gradually getting worse over time.

My worst fear is that there might be a bulge that might have progressed into a herniation. I think a CT scan is a good idea, but both doctors that examined me never mentioned it. I pray that this is not permanent.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it sounds like sciatica, I would see a chiropractor

Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
(male)

donkinuts HB User

[QUOTE=rosequartz;2970495]it sounds like sciatica, I would see a chiropractor[/QUOTE]

The pain is on the lower spine(left side), so I dont think sciatica is the problem here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

well when you said near your buttocks I thought sciatic nerve......I think it can be on either side.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
(female)

CarrieD HB User

SI Joint problem maybe??

Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

They ordered the discogram to probably see if disc is leaking or has tears in it. They must be thinking that a disc could be the pain generator. If the test is negative you will only feel pressure when the test is being done. If the test doesn't show any results as far as being the area of concern then your doctor might have you do a cat-scan/dye (Myelogram) to take a look inside the spine canal's and nerve canal's. (IMO) I think the discogram is the better test for any disks concerns. Good Luck and keep posting.

Closed Thread