It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
(male)

captred1968 HB User
Disk o gram info help please

Hi, My name is merlin, I need a little bit of help. I recently fell down 15 flights of stairs, which i was a boat captain offshroe at the time. My mri reports show at level C3-4 in my neck a left focal sisc herniation extending into the region of the left neural foramen, and in my thoracic spine it shows at level 9-10 a mild ventral and left paracentral extra dural defect. and level T8-9 also demonstrates a central disc hernination woth out cord compression. Level t7-8 demonstrates a right paracental and focal disc hernination without cord compression. At level T6-7 there is a central disc herniation, and in the lumbar spine lvevl 3,4, and 5 show all a diffuse annular buldge, and lvl 5 alkso shows a tiny annular tear, but i do no t know what the tear is.

a little history on the pain is, my left arm goes numb and i also have stabbing pains throught the arm, also having head pains, which i would not consider to be a headache, because it moves around my lower and middle back is constantly in pain, and i am havin numbness in my left foot, with sharp stabbing pains starting in my left leg, and in my middle back is like a lightening bolt shooting through my back. the doctor i have now sent me to therapy. it did not not work, it aggervated injuries very severly. now he prescribes a disc o gram, at which i am teriffied and pass out when i see needles. i know the pain has just started, because my accident happened the 9th of last month. any information would be appreciated.

thanks captred1968

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User
Re: Disk o gram info help please

The discogram is used to determine the amount of damage there is to the disc. It will determine the size of the tear. In some cases they can IDET to try and seal the tear, thus saving the disc. Put the size of the needle out of your mind. They will test the disks in question and usually another one that is not damaged as a stardard for the test. When they go into the good disc you will only feel pressure. You cannot be put under for this test. You have to be awake so you can tell them if they are simulating the pain you feel. It hurts, but so does the pain you are going through and if this test can help your doctor to help you, it's well worth it. I say the pain in your leg or any numbness is coming from the Lumbar area. The arm probably the C level. I don't know much about the T area. You were fortunate when it came to no compression of the cord. Did your doctor already have the MRI report when he sent you to physical therapy?? I know you are in pain and I hope you can get these issues resolved real soon. Good Luck

Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
(male)

rockflower HB User

I am scared to death of needles, but my discogram was a breeze. It is the days after that hurt. The discogram showed I need a 2 level fusion which scares me even more, but I'm glad I got the answer.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
(female)

Rustysgurl HB User

Like the others say - the diskogram is the definitive test to show damage to the disk. As your doctor if you can have conscious sedation (Versed), which will allow them to see your reaction but you won't remember the test. I hope this test gives your doctor the answers he needs. Hang in there.

Mary

Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

A discogram is an excellent test to determine the damage of a disc, if there is any.

As to needles.. You won't see them. They are kept out of sight. But you do need to let your doctor know that you have this fear, so they can plan and prepare accordingly.

I do hope you are better soon.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
(male)

idl86 HB User

[QUOTE=Rustysgurl;2971843]Like the others say - the diskogram is the definitive test to show damage to the disk. As your doctor if you can have conscious sedation (Versed), which will allow them to see your reaction but you won't remember the test. I hope this test gives your doctor the answers he needs. Hang in there.

Mary
[/QUOTE]
is there an alternative to a discogram to diagnose whether a disk is causing the sciatic pain ? something less barbaric? what about MRN imaging. help!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

I would say a MRI w/contrast dye would be the better test for nerve entrapment or damage coming from a disc.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
(female)

sgobryan HB User

GET A SECOND OPINION BEFORE HAVING FUSION! There are many alternatives now and what I have read about fusion is a little scary.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

All treatments and surgical and non regarding the spine are scary and all come with potential risks. I agree.. by all means.. get opinions.

But a discogram is a test, not removing anything from the spine. And it can identify the overall health of a disc.

Hope this helps.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

Not conscience of the pain? Wow, what doctor did you have? The only sedation I got was a topical and I had them strap me down only because I'm a flincher when it comes to needles and pain and they covered me with warm blankets and believe it or not doing all that helped me through it. It was my second discogram and the first I didn't finish because of the pain and fear so six months down the line I had to reschedule it and this time the staff worked with me as I explained my fear and requested to be strapped and they offered the warm wrapping which I not only found to be comforting but it kept me from getting the shakes, it felt a bit less "abusive". But it looks as though I may have to go back in for yet another disco to have more discs checked as now my right leg is suffering sciatica and back buttock pain. The test I took only revealed pain on my left side.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
(female)

cincygal10 HB User

I just registered. I'm having a discogram Tuesday and I am so frightened. I have had several facet joint injections so I am familiar with that pain. I'm upset because I can't have any sedation whatsoever and I have anxiety. I've had chronic low back pain for 8 years. I'm only 44 and my life was truly taken away from me. I took the bull by the horns and went to a neurosurgeon. My MRI shows degenerative disc disease. Can you or anyone else please tell me what the discogram is like?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
(female)

cincygal10 HB User

why was your discogram a breeze? Everyone says it's horrible? I'm really scared.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
(female)

cincygal10 HB User

chris,

You sound extremely knowledgeable. Can you help me with my fear? I am going to have discogram on Tuesday and I'm so scared. I have had many facet joint injections and they are no walk in the park, but I tolerated it. I've had chronic low back pain for 8 years and have gotten steroid injections every 4 months. I still experience spasms on a daily basis. My life has been taken away from me. I'm 44 and I want my life back so I saw a neurosurgeon. I'm scared and I know nothing. Can you help me?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

I think you first need to relax about the test. It didn't hurt that much. I'm not saying that I didn't feel it, but I have had worse test. If you relax your muscles will be loose and not all tightened up. You'll be better off relaxed than all tense and in muscle spasms. Do you take anything for anxiety? I take Ativan. It helps with my chronic pain and relaxes me to the point that I can fall asleep. Think about something else when the test is being done. You'll do just fine. Good luck and post how you did. Hopefully there are no tears and it will feel just like pressure in your back.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Paul from CA HB User

cincygal,
I applaud you for "taking the bull by the horns".

As far as the procedure itself, I too was kinda scared because I didn't know anything about it.
So I looked around online and found videos of it being done.
The patient is lying face down, the doc can see what he is doing inside of the body by way of flouroscopy. It's basically an x-ray that is live action.

Now that I know what's involved, I have less fear.

I too will be needing a discogram eventually.

I'm glad they can inject painkiller into the disc immediately after they find it to be the one to cause pain.

I'm wishing you good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Closed Thread