It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

sgobryan HB User
Cauterize Nerve?

Anyone had the nerve cauterized (I assume, the nerve in the disc)?

Old 05-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: Cauterize Nerve?

I have never heard of that... it actually sounds kinda strange to me - I would think if a nerve if cauterized it would 'die' so to speak and you would loose feeling wherever that nerve is going to.
I am not a Dr, just my thoughts......
Let me know, I am interested in learning more!
~M~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I think you may be referring to radiofrequency... I just had this done last week...on my facet joint nerves in the lumbar area. It basically causes the nerves to die back for several months...stops the pain messages to your brain so that you can start moving and strengthening your back with walking and exercises. They say the nerves grow back after a while...but you can have it done again. It did cause an increase in pain..my Dr. had told me that should only be for 3 or 4 days...right...called them on Mon. and was told 7 to 10 days is more like it. Well today is day 9 and I am finally seeing some improvement. I have discovered I also have siatic nerve pain on the right side as well as the right leg...but the lower back is feeling a bit better this morning... They gave me IV sedation so I wasn't really aware of much during the procedure...good thing! Hope this helps.

Sage

Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I also had this procedure done. They called it a rhizaotomy when I went thru it. Same thing they burn the nerve to stop the pain signal to the brain.

The pain does increase after but then settles down and you should have some relief.

Mine lasted 6 months and took the sciata pain away. I had mild IV sedation but it did not help me much and I would not chose to have this again unless it was to prolong surgery.

Sage hope things are getting better for you.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
(male)

larryd HB User

[QUOTE=clover60;2990622]I also had this procedure done. They called it a rhizaotomy when I went thru it. Same thing they burn the nerve to stop the pain signal to the brain.

The pain does increase after but then settles down and you should have some relief.

Mine lasted 6 months and took the sciata pain away. I had mild IV sedation but it did not help me much and I would not chose to have this again unless it was to prolong surgery.

Sage hope things are getting better for you.[/QUOTE]

I just had the procdure done on 2/11/11 and my physician said there would be pain for 8-10 days but I thought he meant pain where the injection was made but you indicate the original pain increases and that is my case. It this your experience, the original pain increases.
larry

Closed Thread