It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

sweet p HB User
4 weeks post op

hi guys,
well, i had my back surgery and have been miserable since. still having leg pain the burning stabbing pain legs no different but i think my back might be. my problem right now is my hips and the lower part of my incesion (sp).
the doctor didn't really tell me what i could and could not do except to take it easy. i had to see him on tuesday after my surgery on monday about my staples. he decided to take them out and use steri-stripes. he said to call him in 2 weeks and let him know how i am doing. i called and he never returned my call. i called for 4 days and finally got to talk to someone but not the doctor. he called in more meds for me but what i feally needed to know is what my limitations are at this time. i am afraid to do anything cause i might hurt my back. what were you guys getting to do at 4 wks post op?
sorry i did not post sooner but had computer-internet problems.
hope everyone has a good day
sweet p

Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: 4 weeks post op

Hi Sweet pea. My experience was no bending from the waist, no lifting more than a gallon size milk, no twisting, no vaccuming, no raking, no sweeping, etc. If you go out to the store, use one of those motorized carts. Some people are allowed to start driving at 6 weeks. My surgeon said 12 weeks.

My doctor said to walk but if pain increases to back off.

That is all that I can think of for now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

sweet p HB User

thanks pepper
my dr said pretty much the same. i guess i am getting bored just sitting here. i can't stand for anyone to have to wait on me. i have put my grabbers to the test cause everything i pick up i seem to drop. they are awesome at the washer and dryer it just takes forever to pull things out of either one thing at a time.
i have had some good news since my surgery. had surgery on 4/30 and on 5/7 i got my approval for ssd. i have never been so glad to see anything in all my life. maybe we want have to shuffle bills around so much now.
thanks again for the input.
hope you have a great day tomorrow and a great weekend.
sweet p

Old 05-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Sweet P - Right now at four weeks, lift nothing over five pounds, no BLT, lots of rest, don't be sitting for more than 15 min at time. Also, there is getting up and moving a bit, walking as much as comfortable. Again resting. Also eating good meals helps too. You can try and do somethings a little, but let others wait on you right now. You will be back to doing the laundry before you know it. I would hold off driving for a couple more weeks, I drove at 13 weeks post op. Sorry you are having such a hard time getting your doc to get back with you, so frustrating!!! Hope you are feeling better.

Rose

Old 06-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

sweet p HB User

hi rose,
thanks for the reply. i haven't done much but i have been sitting up a lot longer that 15 mins at a time. i have been walking some but my problem right now is my legs and my right knee. i have some torn ligaments and other stuff wrong with my right knee so that keeps me from walking as much as i should.
i also cannot sleep at night i toss and turn all night and watch the clock til about 4 am then i might fall asleep. i am so flustered i am just ready to get back to my old self ( if i ever do). sorry i just feel sorry for myself sometimes.
hope you have a good day and a wonderful weekend.
sweet p

Old 06-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Sweetpea,

Welcome to the recovery side. I hope you'll start getting some relief soon. Are you on any kind of Nerve meds? If not, ask your dr. about trying one. It really helped me alot. I was on Neurontin, generic name is gabapentin, and this really worked great.

Your nerves are probably waking up and getting re-adjusted and the pain can be like before surgery or vary some. It will get better though, just remember your only 4 weeks post op and have a ways to go. Hang in there.

I feel bad that you also have knee problems, but try to walk a little at a time and make sure that you get lots of rest. I believe my dr. had said sitting only 15-20 minutes at a time.

Take care and know that were all here if/when you need us

Old 06-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

awsam007 HB User

What did you have done? A fusion? If so, where was the fusion done at? In the lumbar area of your back?

Closed Thread