It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

nashvillegirl HB User
can you actually feel a disc rupture??

I have a ruptured disc at the L5/S1 and have been ok painwise for about 10 months after 2 epidural steroid injections. This morning I was leaning over the sink brushing my teeth and felt a very weird sensation in the area, almost like a "pop" and then almost like an oozing feeling. It was very weird. It hurt and now it has hurt all day since. Is it possible the disc ruptured again or something? MAybe it was better from the shot and then now has gotten worse? Has anyone experienced this? Please reply. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
(male)

crookedback HB User
Re: can you actually feel a disc rupture??

Hey Nash... yup... when I had my 2nd herniation about 10 yrs ago at L5-S1 I was gettin out of the shower & put my leg up on the sink to dry off & felt almost a squirting feelin in my low back & then the pain became more n more intense all day untill I was layed up for about a week. The Doc I saw said it is possible to feel a disc rupture... hope u get healed up & take it easy... take care... Dave!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

nashvillegirl HB User

Oh no, that's exaclty what I felt! UGH. Did yours just come out of nowhere? LIke it was ok for a while and then just out of nowhere it happened again?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

koc66 HB User

[QUOTE=nashvillegirl;3025979]I have a ruptured disc at the L5/S1 and have been ok painwise for about 10 months after 2 epidural steroid injections. This morning I was leaning over the sink brushing my teeth and felt a very weird sensation in the area, almost like a "pop" and then almost like an oozing feeling. It was very weird. It hurt and now it has hurt all day since. Is it possible the disc ruptured again or something? MAybe it was better from the shot and then now has gotten worse? Has anyone experienced this? Please reply. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi, Sorry that you have to be here. My disc L5/S1 ruptured suddenly one am..And yes I felt the same way and the pain has not completly stopped since..even after surgery.. So don't hesitate to long call your doc to avoid permanent nerve damage..I had ESI injections too and they are only a temporary fix...Best of luck to you...K

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
(male)

crookedback HB User

Nash... I have had 3 major herniations begining when I was 25 yrs old (now 48... I know, I'm real old) & I have always been able to get pretty much w/o pain like a 2-3 outa 10, 24/7 but with my 2nd & 3rd herniations I ended up with numbness, pain & pressure in my feet that does not go away. Each herniation took aprox. 3-4 mos to heal from. I have seen 2 neurosurgeons who still think I should become more symptomatic (ie - more pain) before I have fusion. My neuroligist thinks I should have the surgery now & not risk additional permanent nerve damage.

Any questions please ask... it really helps to share I think... take care... Dave!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
(female)

nashvillegirl HB User

Ugh, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I am 30 and was diagnosed with ddd last summer when I was 29. I had the herniated disc, just woke up with it one morning, and then had 2 steroid injections and I have been ok pain wise since August but now it's back. I was hoping it had healed and went away since the dr. said I had done remarkably well with the epidurals. Ihad the bad pain and numbness and tingling down my right leg and was in so much pain I couldn't sleep at night and would cry inthe mornings it hurt so bad to get out of bed. My leg is not hurting right now but I am scared I will wake up with excrutiating pain in the morning. No drugs they gave me helped. They gave me steroids, tramadol, and celebrex and nothing helps.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 AM   #7
(male)

Minladar HB User

I know I felt my 2nd disk rupture at L5 + S1. I was walking out of the V.A. Clinic after seeing my main Dr. and felt a POP and my leggs went gnumb and a wave a pain swept over. I wasnt sure what happend but after I told the Dr he sent me for a new MRI and there it was a 2nd disk protusion.
so as for my exp yes you definately can.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

Not only did I feel my disc go, I heard it. It was like a pop sound and down I went. I had to crawl to something to pull my self up. Then it went away for a few minutes and came back. I thought I was dying. I had to call 911 to take me to the hospital. They gave me test and PT and it helped for awhile. Then when it went again, it was a popping sound again and the same pain came back.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]I had had my lower three discs replaced with cages and rods pins and screws, did the 360 approach. the next day when they went to get me out of bed to walk I told them to stop that some thing was wrong as I felt this huge POP. No, they told me, everybody feels that way. No, something is wrong....no, get up, everybody feels that. So they got me up walked me twice a day for a week........WITH A BROKEN BACK. my doctor was out of town at conference.

the nurses had decided that I was a hypochondriac and nothing was wrong with me.... funny, I couldn't walk because my quad muscle was gone on my left leg and my pain level was out of sight and I couldn't stand without assistance, but there was nothing wrong with me? sheesh![/COLOR]

Closed Thread