It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

hawn808 HB User
Floating Ball in Lower Back??!!!

Hi! New to this board. I haven't been able to find anything that describes what I feel in my back so I am trying this message board. I have had backpain for a long time with occasional flare ups. The last flare up was the worst and basically back has been chronic since that time. Pain level varies. Always sore, some days more than others. The think that concerns me though is that one day while sitting and rubbing my lower back, I felt a ball like thing floating around. If I press on it, it moves. It freaked me out. It is located in my lower back right next to the spine ... like an inch or two away from the spine. In the lower back where your back dips in a bit. Sorry I don't know how to explain this. But I am afraid to press on it. But I feel it all the time, it is always there now and it is about the size of maybe a quarter and I have one on the other side as well but much smaller, like the size of a dime. Has anyone heard of this? Know what it is or where I can find out what this is???? Thank you!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Floating Ball in Lower Back??!!!

Hi and welcome to the board! You should definitely see a doctor just to get it checked; but it could be some sort of cyst, or swelling of the muscles in there, or it might even be a hard spot of muscle spasm. Of course I'm not a doc, so I can only offer possibilities that I can think of. I have had swelling in my lower spine above the sacral bones as well as right below where the lumbar spine ends smack in the middle of the spine. If it's something harder that you feel moving around in there, then maybe more of a cyst or something..it's hard to say. Have you tried taking any over the counter antiinflammatories like ibuprofen or aleve? You might want to try a moist heating pad over the area to see if that helps any......If nothing helps & it really concerns you (plus you mentioned having back pain on & off for a while), then you should see a physician. You might even have some pulled muscles or sprain in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

hawn808 HB User
Smile Re: Floating Ball in Lower Back??!!!

Hi Baybreeze! Thank you for your reply. I went to a doctor when it was real bad. I hate taking pills (I have a history w/ migrains & TMJ and for awhile was on all sorts of pain killers - don't want to go that route again), but it was so sore I wanted a muscle relaxer. Which helped a little. Let me tell you what threw my back out in the first place - a massage. It was aching and I got a massage that felt sooooo good ... and then I couldn't get up .... I had trouble walking and getting up. Doc told me that I must have done something - I said yes, got a massage. She said back was swolen, take motrin or something and gave me relaxers. Well I've been waiting for pain to go away or lesser so that I can get the x-ray but it just isn't. This last episode is just unreal. Shooting pains, shocking pains, litterally take my breath away somedays. Can't sleep normally. Can't do alot of things! And then I find these lump things and well I guess I just freaked out. I was hoping to find someone who had the same thing so I could rest easy but I guess I really should just go back to the doctor

Old 06-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I would definitely return back to the doctors. Better to be safe then regret it later on. Take care and I pray that you are able to find out the cause of these floating balls soon.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
(male)

PacoKS HB User

I don't know if it is the same thing, but I have areas in my lower back when I get spasms for several days that feel like hard lumps. They are about the same size as you describe. My PT said that they are areas where the fascia covering the muscle has contracted around the muscle and formed a knot. She would work on one until she got it in the right position and then hold her thumbs on it with a lot of pressure for about 1 or 2 minutes. Most of the time they would sort of "pop" and relax after that.

None the less, I think you should take the other responders' advice and see a doctor.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Shooting and shocking type pain sounds like nerve pain...maybe a disc herniated in there or something. It can press into surrounding nerves..or even leak fluid which hurts bad when it gets on the nerves...Many times when a disc herniates (or any other type of back injury)..the surrounding muscles will tighten and spasms as a protective mechanism. So if you've had all this for several weeks already, you might want to request an MRI, if you can.

Closed Thread