It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Mattresses?

Any feedback on mattresses, what to look for and what to avoid (coils, foam, etc.) or how to make an existing one better? Would appreciate any thoughts on the best way to go when shopping for a new one or trying to improve upon a present one. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
(male)

Paul8116 HB User
Re: Mattresses?

[QUOTE=Bearygood;3029867]Any feedback on mattresses, what to look for and what to avoid (coils, foam, etc.) or how to make an existing one better? Would appreciate any thoughts on the best way to go when shopping for a new one or trying to improve upon a present one. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Dont buy a King Coil, Worst investment i ever made, Kills me and my wife but after spending $400 for it i refuse to toss it.....Stubborn i know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you think that coils are good at all? I'm beginning to wonder...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Paul,

After a double fusion in Feb of this year we went and bought one of those ones that you see on tv with the wine on one end and the people jumping up and down on it. It is the best of the best. It comes in three different pads so to speak....

After living in it for most of the first 6 weeks I would not take a trillion dollars for it. It is the best thing for the wife and I. I used to love a hard bed. For me the harder the better. It is a little on the pricey side of 1600.00 but it is the best bed for the both of us. I like it more and more every night...

Roy

Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

I'm with Roy. Get the wine glass one! It even comes with remote controls to lower, lift and adjust the legs and head up and down.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
(female)

Lilly66 HB User

I just got the best, new mattress! It is the "Sweet Dreams" mattress. Sealy makes it especially for Double Tree hotels, but they do sell them to the public. I have had 2 back surgeries and have always found sleep to be excruciating. Now I sleep wonderfully..I still can't be in one position for too long, but overall, my sleep is wonderful!

Good Luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-07-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: We have the same one Roy is talking about, and we'll never go back to inner coil mattresses again. Our inner coil was causing me a lot of joint pain in addition to back pain, and the temperpedic solved the problem. I can't sleep on conventional mattresses anymore since we've had this one. I've had back surgeries, and shoulder surgery and have to sleep on my side primarily, but can actually sleep some time on my back which I couldn't on the inner coil matt. These mattresses are expensive, but they do give a 20 yr warranty, don't know if it really works if you tried to return it after that time, but if you can find a store that's doing a 3 mo sleep trial on this you could try it out. I had to put some money down, but if I changed my mind I could get the money back and return the mattress.

Roy you got a good price on yours, mine was more expensive, but I also decided on the most expensive one they had. The one we got was the most firm, even though you'll find that it does soften up some over time, especially if you have to spend any time in it during the day. Some people who don't want to spend what we did, try to simulate the same effect by putting a memory foam mattress topper on your existing mattress. I don't know how well that works, but it tons cheaper. We feel even with the price it was an excellent investment. We paid 2600. I put it on a store credit card with a no interest over 2 yrs and paid it off in time so I didn't get stuck with any interest.

Anyway we love it and wouldn't switch back.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
(male)

saversano HB User

Hey all ,
I think the mattress you're all talking about is the tempurpedic mattress. Im also going to get one but there are so many to choose from. and they are pretty expensive.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

HI.
Sleep number bed, I ahve had one for a long time now back when they were called select comfort. Best thing for me is I can adjust it to what I need from minute to minute if need be and My hubby can have what he needs, which is totally different from my needs. I will never buy any other bed again, and they do back up the warrenty, when we were moving we knocked out the stem from the air hose and they replaced it on 24 hrs no questions asked, I was supposed to pay 20 bucks but they waived that fee and sent is overnight to boot. Good luck, mattresses are the hardest question on here and the hardest thing to but too. Make sure if you go hunting one to do it when you feel not too good that way you will know how it feels at the end of your day instead of when your all rested and feeling ok because then you may pick one that wont' be very comfortable when your in major pain.

God Bless

Carol

Old 06-07-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

k2trade HB User

Tempurpedic is expensive. Costco Wholesale sells a memory foam mattress not made by Tempurpedic but someone else and it's less $. Check the Costco site it would be worth paying the membership fee, if your not a member, just to get the mattress.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
(male)

Minladar HB User

I havent been able to afford one of the really nice ones yet but to get me though till I get enough saved up I went to sams (walmart has them also) and got a memory foam pad and on top of that I got a 6'' feather mattrice for under $100 (hypoallergenic). yea my bed is kind of tall now with the serta matt/foam/feather but its wonderfull to sleep on and cool in the summer and warm in the winter. so that may be a way for you to go if your short on funds at the moment.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-07-2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I'd be interested in hearing more about both the Select Comfort and the Tempurpedic...

I have an adjustable inflatable, but it's one of the portable bed-in-a-bag things. I like it a lot, and use it sometimes even when we don't have guests. But I'd like to look into a real mattress without inner springs. besides my back, hubby is a big dude (6'2" and 260 lbs) and spring mattresses don't last us more than a couple of months before getting the 'dent' in his side of it.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know my mattress needs to be replaced and I'm seriously beginning to be aware of how important comfort is -- and WHAT it is (if that makes sense).

Re: memory foam, how big? My acpuncturist loves his 2 inch one...

I'm not quite ready to make the plunge financially in a new one but have to do something! Hopefully I'll be able to soon so all this input is great. I've really wondered especially about the Tempurpedic.

Do you use box spings on the Sleep Number or Tempurpedic or just put the mattress on a platform?

Have any of you ever laid down on a Dux bed? I have in stores...if only I could own one of my own but, IN MY DREAM$$!!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
(female)

ftlaudmom HB User

This topic is very hot it appears - probably because everyone wants to get a good nights sleep. The best mattress I've ever slept on is the new ones in the Marriott hotels. I travel quite a bit and I usually stay at a Marriott. They sell their mattresses in their catalog called Revive but I'm a little skeptical that its the same exact one that they use in their hotel rooms. I'd love to know if anyone can find out if its the same thing - if so I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

I have had a sleep number bed for five years now. I love my bed! I can adjust it to where I need it and the person on the other can put it where they want it. The bed does sit on something like a box spring, I guess a high tec one. It was on the pricey side, but I did a store credit card thing and paid it off with no interest in 6 months. Also comes with a 20 year warranty on it. Good luck in shopping for a bed!! I hope you find one that you just love to fall asleep in!

Rose

Last edited by xzx; 06-07-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Closed Thread