It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Best Shoes for Back Pain Sufferers

Hi,

I often have trouble especially walking around in stores ( I guess it's the hard cement floors underneath) and usually wear my sneakers, regular nike walking sneakers. But I find these still don't cushion enough and I get tired out easily after 1/2 hour.

Has anyone found a preferred shoe or sneaker that seems to help when you're walking around or on your feet for a while?

I did find a slingback Grasshoppers sandal that is pretty cushy & comforatable (though right now I cant really wear sandals due to a foot/ankle issue)..

Old 06-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

mentalvdt HB User
Talking Re: Best Shoes for Back Pain Sufferers

The best tenny shoe i have found is Sauncany I think that is the correct spelling it is pronounced sauce a knees. They are great. I can wear them and go shopping with out having to take extra meds becouse I hurt so bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: Best Shoes for Back Pain Sufferers

Well I was told to find a good tenny that is supportive.

My therapist at the time wanted me to purchase ones that offered support and cushioning. I went to a shoe store that only sells tennys and asked for help. I explained I just had back surgery and would be doing a lot of walking, but needed a shoe that was both supportive and offered me great cushioning at the same time.

He gave me a few to try on,and I made him help me on that too (as most stores just hand you the box these days) and found one that suited me best!

My therapist inspected mine and said "good choice"! lol. The ones I chose were Asics GT-2110. So far.. they've been excellent!

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I know you are all going to be horrified by what I wear...Nike flip flops...they are like walking on marshmellows. It's good I live in Florida, cause I wear them almost year round. My feet do not like regular shoes and they hate sneakers....and anything with a heel makes my back hurt worse....so I have 4 pair of my flip flops....and love them...

Leslie

Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

After my back surgery I bought some "SAS" sandals and they were like walking on a cloud of air. I limped into the store with a lot of foot pain still and I walked out like a normal person with those sandals on. They did come with a brochure that showed other styles so they sell more then just sandals. They are not cheep though they were about $110 on sale. But so worth it. I wore them all that summer and wished I could wear them in the winter but they were sandals...lol. Not the cutest sandals either but like I said very comfortable. They sell them at Gregory's shoe stores in my area.

I never tried the other styles in that brand. I have gotten better and better over the last two years since my surgery and can wear most shoes if they have some cushion in them.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I bought the puffy insoles to put in my shoes that I wear everyday to work. This really did help me as I am on my feet alot.

I also have SAS shoes like nurses only black. They are very comfortable for walking and standing.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

technomom HB User
Smile Re: Best Shoes for Back Pain Sufferers

The only shoes I can wear are Easy Spirit. They are cushioned and have an instep. Their tie shoes have a number rating 1 for mild exercise like walking and standing, 2 for moderate exercise & 3 for the mostexercise. I wear tne ones that are rated 1 they support my feet and help my back. I even can wear their sandals.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

I have tried a multitude of different tennies and the ones I wear and feel best are by Saucony TR6 model. They seem to work the best and keep my on my feet longer. I also have some Nikes and some Sketchers, but seem to do best in Sauconys. I had foot surgery about 5 years ago so have feet issues as well as back ones, and these shoes are my life savers when I need to be out and about.
Good luck, hope you find something that works for you, anything that helps make your life better is a good thing.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
(female)

Laurie625 HB User

After years of wearing Easy Spirit and I Love Comfort, I only wear Crocs. I live near Chicago and wear them all year round. Plus they have a few sandals that I wear in the summer.

I'll admit to having "lots" of shoes and I haven't throw them out yet.............. I keep saying, after I heal from my surgery maybe I'll be able to wear them again. I laugh as I type this cause I just spent $200 getting new Crocs.

Laurie

Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Every morning I get up and we, my feet my back and I have a discussion. I put on a pair of shoes and then my back and my feet decide if they are going to like that pair of shoes for the day. Some days I can actually get downstairs without having to change shoes, some days I change shoes several times before I get downstairs. One never knows. After two years I can wear almost any thing, including some heels as long as they aren't too high. Gone are the days of my gorgeous heels though....sigh......[/COLOR]

Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Laurie: You said you wear crocs all year round in Chicago? Which type do you wear in the rain and snow? I just bought a pair of sandals-online-and I've never worn them before I see "so" many nurses, tech, drs, pt's wearing them I decided to give em a shot.

I don't really care for the looks of them, but I need to go for comfort these days so I'm going to try them. The sandals were really nice looking-different than the sling backs you see all over.

I hope they are real comfortable, because my feet are killing me-nerve pain. I'll get them in a week or so and hope they'll be great sandals. It's too hot to wear tennis shoes here right now, but once summer is over it's back to tennies. I can't wear heels anymore-wish I could-those days are over!!

But as far as tennies go I like skechers, great support and rocking sole, with no SHOE LACES. I don't have to bend down to put these on, just use my long handle shoe horn only when I need to.

Has anyone tried those [B]MBT's[/B]??? They're real expensive, but I hear a lot about them from the PT's. They cost 250.00 for tennis shoes They look like they would be hard to walk in-but I don't know. They're suppose to improve posture, reduce joint and back compression, exercise your core, and are based on Masai Barefoot technology. If anyone has these [B]let me know[/B]. They look like they would be hard to walk in, plus they come with an [U]instruction video[/U] go figure

Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
(female)

Laurie625 HB User

Which type do you wear in the rain and snow? >>

It's called the Endeavor. I wear them all winter, but not when we 1st get several inches of snow. I just throw them in a bag and put them on when I get to work. I can wear them in the rain too. Crocs has them and I really like the Cayman and the Nile, Patra and Celo sandals.

There are a lot of knock offs now that look like Crocs but I don't think they are as good.

I never heard of MBT's, I looked it up and there is a store near me, I'm going to check them out.

Laurie

Last edited by moderator2; 06-12-2007 at 04:36 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Closed Thread