It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
I am so confused - had tests done at NYC...

Hi everybody!! I hope you all getting better!!!
I had my MRI, CT, neurologist, EMG tests done yesterday at HSS in NYC.
After all the tests, i saw neurologist (D-r Camissa sent me to him). He confirmed that i have drooped foot, that my leg/foot is very weak, but... after EMG tests was done he did not find evidence of damaged nerve???
And also based on MRI - no evidence that the above symptoms come from lumbar area.
I am so confused! I was told by previous EMG test done localy and by 2 neurologist before that the damage related to L-5 and it is permanent. I don't have a reason to doubt yesterday's Doctor opinion (he was nominated many times as Top Doc (neurologist) in a country and D-r Camissa sends all his patients to him) but can't figure it out still what is going on.

He strongly suggested to have thourasic and neck areas MRI done to determen if the symptoms don't come from there. He said that unfortunatelly most Doctors always concentrate on the trouble area they know about and don't search further, but he said that leg/foot symptoms can come from my upper spinal areas.
I wonder: does it means that if EMG test did not show a nerve damage it can be fixed if they find any abnormalities in a C and T areas?
Also, if this does not related to lumbar area where i had my surgery done - why my symptoms appeared right after the surgery??

Funny; i go to have all this done to find the answers. But seems to me that more Doctors i see, more confused i get and more questions i have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: I am so confused - had tests done at NYC...

there!! Modolva I know it was the last thing you wanted to hear and that you probably just wanted confirmation of what the other doctor said. I think it is awesome that this doctor is thinking outside of the box and is looking for answers and is not dismissing your symptoms. Wouldn't it stink to have further surgery and still have the problems that you do?

Has he scheduled this other MRI yet?? I would hate for you to have another level responsible for the pain but at the same time I think the best of news would be if he found another level responsible for the pain. Wouldn't it be great if it could be fixed and that sciatica pain and drop foot would disappear?

I look at this as positive news. Hang in there and know that I am praying for you.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;3039489] there!! Modolva I know it was the last thing you wanted to hear and that you probably just wanted confirmation of what the other doctor said. I think it is awesome that this doctor is thinking outside of the box and is looking for answers and is not dismissing your symptoms. Wouldn't it stink to have further surgery and still have the problems that you do?

Has he scheduled this other MRI yet?? I would hate for you to have another level responsible for the pain but at the same time I think the best of news would be if he found another level responsible for the pain. Wouldn't it be great if it could be fixed and that sciatica pain and drop foot would disappear?

I look at this as positive news. Hang in there and know that I am praying for you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sweet heart! I also look at this as a positive thing and i hope that finally they find the reason why i have these symptoms. And i love Doctors who look outside of the box - this is so rare, is in it? He did not dismissed me saying: i don't see nerve damage, good by!! He wants to search why i have all this symptoms. I just hope that this test shows something that leads to my problems.
I would never think that upper back can be responsible for leg/foot problems which occured right after surgery - but who knows?
I will let you know what is going on and thank you for your respond...
How are you doing? IS your foot gets a bit better or not?

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

So sorry that you have had to add this diagnosis to your confusion. Yes, this does happen....it happened to me.... My neurosurgeon said that the symptoms of compression could be coming from my thorax or cervical area...had to have the MRI's of those area also..even though symptoms are in the lumbar/leg/feet. The emg does not always show the damage...mine came up fine...no problem...even when my arm was shrinking to a toothpick...strange huh..?? But, things do not always show up on tests...MRI's...EMG or Mylograms... they can hide out. That happened to me...finally had ACDF at C5/6...and the disc was hiding out in the foramen..and didn't show up on any of the tests. That is why I had so much trouble believing the MRI's etc. for my lower back...it shows stuff...yup..but not what they are looking for. I keep telling my daughter, my body does not give up it's secrets easily...we know it's true... I do hope that you can find the cause of your problems with the new MRI etc. Have a better day.

Leslie

Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova, I have been told that neck problems can cause sciatica pain.

My foot is my foot. It hurts 24/7. If I let it drop straight down (like if I was to stand on my toes), it really hurts. I discovered this in the pool. Weird

Since my doctor has put me on steroids, my leg sciatica is better. It does not hurt as much down the thigh. I am having lot of flutters in it and I believe it is just the muscle spasming. I will take that over the pain any day.

Thank you for caring and asking.

I pray you get some answers soon. This unknown stuff stinks. I really like the sound of this doctor and pray that he finds the source of the problem.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you so much for your replies - you all are the best people i met since my back problems. Honestly, nobody can understand us better than we can understand each other. When i read about your pains and ackes i physically feel your pain, i feel for you because i know what exactly you are going through. And the best part: we don't have to wear a happy face like sometimes i do with people who don't care about those who suffer. I met one lady couple days ago and the only thing she said: it is time for you to get rid of your cane - you are too young for that, it is not sexy. I never strangle anyone before, but i was close LOL

Sage, i feel sorry for you that you had to go thru all this problems before they find out what is the problem. But i am so glad you told me your story - it helps to understand that tests are just tests and I can't depend on them only100% . But i wish Doctors also would try to understand and not to read reports from all this tests and tell you that you have to leave with it without trying to look into something else. So confusing and frastruating.

Diet, i am glad that steroids ease your pain. I just hope it will cure somehow your inflammation if any and you will not get your pain back after they take your steroids from you. By the way: I was on them too and i know that you can't stop them, they have to lower your dose little by little. I use to retain so much water with them, could not wear shoes. But defenatelly they help with pain if you take them orally: shots did not work for me.

Good luck to you and maybe nice weather will ease your pain...

Closed Thread