It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
MRI or CT scan? Which is better for disk problem?

From reading different posts, I'm assuming an MRI is the better test to get a true picture of what's going on with a disk. Is that right?

kd

Last edited by kdmari; 06-20-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

Tulip15 HB User
Re: MRI or CT scan? Which is better for disk problem?

I've been told MRI is better to detect disk problems, I've always had MRI's, never a CT scan.
Tulip15

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
(female)

kdmari HB User

It does seem that most people get MRI's....

Old 06-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User

I would say a discrogram is better for disc problems that either of those test. For nerve entrapment I would say MRI w/contrast, for bone spurs the cat/dye. The x-ray for hardware problems and alignment.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

kdmari HB User

What exactly do they inject into you for the contrast MRI? Are there any side effects?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

I don't remember what the name of what they inject is, but there are no side effects other than a very little dizziness when they first inject it. Some people probably don't feel anything with it. You're laying down anyway and the dizziness to me didn't last long. I have side effect reactions to just about everything, but that is all with this. I'm having an MRI with contrast myself next Thursday.

The MRI is better than the CAT Scan. CAT Scans from what I know shows more the bones like an X-Ray, whereas, the MRI shows the nerves. Myelograms show even more than the MRI. I had to have a Myelogram before my fusion after I had several MRI's.

Harmony

Last edited by Harmony5; 06-20-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

they can use many different 'types" of contrast medium with any rad pic,but the most often used is called(i know i will not get the spelling right here)gadollinium?dye.it is injected into an IV.there CAN be side effects from this if you are allergic to shellfish(in some cases,that dye is actually squid ink?)or if you are suffering from any sort of kidney disease that is affecting your clearance.they usually have to check at minimum,your creatinine before letting you be injected with any contrast.

i have kidney disease but was never told about the possible problems with the contrast until i was Dxed with a brain aneurysm(2005) and needed many angiograms(which use lots of contrast).this was the radiology people,my neuro radiologists nurse,who informed me of this.i now have to take a med called mucomyst before any angio or other contrasted picture.the big thing about kidney disease,is that many people actually have it but have not actually shown it yet with any real symptoms so they assume they have two great kidneys.this was my case.it wasn't til i was 40 and my youngest son became very deathly ill that we even found out that we had this nasty kidney disease even running in our family.i tested positive,great labs but my kidneys "look' like a mess.go figure.but along with regards to using the contrast?as long as your actual creatinine clearence is within the normal ranges,it would be safe in most cases to have the dye.your kidneys should be able to handle it and remove it from your system.contrast medium is just very hard on your kidneys.this is why they just have to be a bit more careful in screening patients before using it.it doesn't appear to have any problems with normal healthy people,just those with kidney issues.but you can work around it.

as a good rule of thumb,and any reputable rad place knows this,anyone who is receiving contrasted pics,needs to have their labs run on their kidneys first,believe me,this is really a case of better safe than sorry.you can now find all kinds of research out there on this subject.i don;t think this was really taken as seriously years ago as it finally is now(i was never told anything about this back in 2001 when i did have Dxed kidney disease and was getting contrasted MRIs and a CT).people have suffered renal failure from just having contrast used in a simple rad pic.but these are the ones usually who had unknown or unDxed kidney disease.this is just something anyone who is considering or desperately needs a contrast procedure done should be aware of.in the majority of people,it really isn't a big deal.you just need to really know how your kidneys are functioning before using it,thats all.

as far as getting the best over pics of an actual disc.i do think the discogram would really be the best possible bet here but realistically,getting an MRI would be good.they do however actually show up much better on any x ray based pics like x ray and CT,but with those,you really don't get the whole picture from the disc to nerve to cord space like with an MRI.obtaining that MRI to begin with would probably be the best way to go to start,this would give you all the structures.then if more definition of the actual discs needs to really be done,you can go with the other options for more defiition.but the baseline should be an MRI.it just gives you a much better overall pic.

good luck with the pics,i hope nothing too serious pops up.you just never really know whats up in anyones body til you take that good hard looksee.please keep us posted,Marcia

Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks Harmony and Marcia for explaining that. I'm going to research this more before I go in for the test. Since there's such a long wait at the hospitals, I've been strongly encouraged by my doctors and physio therapist to get a private MRI, which will cost about $600 (but will also get me in a month or two earlier, which apparently could make all the difference in my case). Talking to the receptionist over at the private MRI clinic, she said the technicians will decide when I get there whether or not I need a contrast MRI. Does that sounds right? I thought my doctor would order the contrast if it was needed and that the technicians just did as the doctor requested.

Anyway, I'm highly sensitive to drugs too (can't even tolerate tylenol for more than a couple days) so am not anxious to be injected with something like this. Of course if that's what's needed, that's what's needed.

I'm so sorry about your brain aneurysm Marcia. Some in my family have this. Were they able to operate?

Take care...

kd

Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

thankfully it was coilable which is the least invasive of the two real options.i had been told by a different neurorad,who was not my normal one that day as he has an emergancy that this was not going to be a coilable aneurysm.that sucked since my only other option would have been a craniotomy and deep brain surgery,but since this actually sits directly in front of my brainstem,i found out that the brain surgery would cause too much significant damage so that wasn't goingto be an option either.it all came down to the actual angiogram which made it appear to be coilable.let out a huge breath i had been holding with that one,believe me.thankfully i have one of the top neurointerventional rads in our state,and he did a fantastic job.

just make certain before consenting to any contrasted pics that you DO have those labs checked.they should know this but you may have to make certain they are aware.some places for some stupid reason,do not actually have a flippin clue.but this was a few years back with mine,there has been alot of newer research done more recently on the hazards of contrast and the kidneys so they may just do it anyways.just make sure.have your labs checked before the day of the MRI just in case.

i am just curious about "some in your family' who have had aneurysm?do you know why there has been a much higher than average amount of vascular malformation in your family?i am only asking since the type of kidney disease i have (polycystic kidney disease)just creates(you are born with this) weaker vessel walls for some strange reason so people with PKD DO have a much higher rate of brain aneurysm.any kidney problem history in your family that you can think of off hand?just wondering,thats all.good luck and please keep me posted,Marcia

Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
(female)

kdmari HB User

I'm glad they were able to fix you up. By 'some in my family', I meant my dad has an aneurysm (for many years now) and another relative some time back was believed to have one as well. With my dad, they feel surgery would be very risky, so he's just learned to watch his blood pressure very carefully, etc. It's a scary thing to have to live with. I'll ask my mom if she knows of any kidney problems in our family. None that I can think of off hand... nothing serious anyway. I've never heard of that connection. Very interesting.

Take care of yourself! I'll tell you what happens when I get my MRI.
kd

Closed Thread