It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

karbear023 HB User
Question Spondy & What is a Pain Magement doctor??

[B][/B] [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]Hi All,
I went to an orthopedist yesterday and he did more x-rays. He says that my pain is coming from the spondy which is causing my disk to bulge and also causing decreased disk space which in turn is causing less room for the nerves exiting the spine. The spondy is moving when I change positions, according to the x-rays, but not "alot".
He is sending me for nerve blocks, a series of three. An anestheseolist is going to do this. Is that a Pain Management doctor?? He did mention surgery as a last resort.
I think it hurts more at night because I get stiff and everytime I move it's very bad.
I'm taking vicodin which is not helping, he said that my regular doctor would deal with the meds. (geesh). I am taking Lyraca also, it helps some.
Thank you clover for letting me know about your spondy, I'm reading that its rare as only 5% of the population have it.

Karbear

Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User
Re: Spondy & What is a Pain Magement doctor??

Kar,
A pain management doctor can be an anesthesiologist or a physiatrist, but they specifically treat pain. Sometimes, they also have specialities in anesthesiology or as in the case of a physiatrist - physical medicine.
Injections are steroid, along with a short acting numbing medication , but be careful with them. They are usually done in a series of three. Some people do get some relief from them but many more don't. They can increase your pain levels for a few days afterward as well. But then if they are going to work, they may ease your pain some. They are not a cure, but rather a temporary measure to try to alleviate some of your pain, so that you can keep moving or start a PT program. If they don't work, then I would not recommend completing the series of three.
I am assuming that you have a Stage 1 spondololysthesis? One vertebrae slipping forward on another?
Best of luck to you with the injections if you choose to do them.
Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Spondy & What is a Pain Magement doctor??

Kar--If you look up on your search engine it will tell you all about spondylolisthesis..I have it also and had a fusion to hold it in place.

Sandim is right about the painmanagement..They can help treat your pain. I believe the Dr.'s have to try the least advasive stuff before surgery , an insurance reason. My par's broke and my spine slid forward after I jumped down from a trailer carrying a heavy box full of new garbage can's...I know it was pretty dumb , but the carrier packed his trailer in such a way I had to do it to unload it.

Good luck

Closed Thread