It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

brooklane HB User
Question Is there a difference between a Nerve Block an a Epidural?

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I had a procedure on a pelvic nerve almost deadening it. It's been 10 years and I have had no problem with any pain at all. Every one I spoke with who had a Block or epidural say their legs were numb etc. I never experienced that. I have had five sessions of epidurals two types on each session. The first four were monthly then I had to wait a couple of months.. I will get another one in 4mths.

My procedures seem to push all the discomfort lower down each treatment. Now my legs are really feeling it. We have a MRI scheduled since it been a year and a siatic block two weeks later.

So I have my L5 back blocks now I am going to start getting treatment for my siatic nerve and SI nerve treated. My question is are the spine and the siatic nerve blocks done the same way? How does it feel when being done and the feeling afterwords.......when you get home?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Is there a difference between a Nerve Block an a Epidural?

I had the set of three epidurals and nerve block about 7 years ago. I remember the three shots did nothing. The nerve block helped for a few months. All I remember is the nerve block hurt. I guess when the meds hit around the nerve it caused my leg to twitch and throb. It only lasted a few minutes. I had no problem after. It was a little sore. I guess the difference is that the nerve block is around the nerve and the shots are not. I really don't know though. Just a guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I'm glad that you get some relief with these injections, but I must warn you that more than 3 injections a year can lead to bone thinning, cataracts, musculr problems, and more. A few dr's say 3 inj. every 6 months, but the majority go with 1 year. It's maddening that the same treatment that can help us, can also cause bad problems. You might want to discuss this with your doctor; unfortunately, some pm's will inject you numerous times and pooh pooh the idea that it is harmful. After all, there is big bucks in doing these inj's and procedures!

Take care.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I forgot to answer your question... Yes, there is a difference. The nerve block is injected directly into the area of the nerve that is causing the problem; and epi is injected into the spine and is supposed to relieve several areas of distress.

Hope this helps.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

brooklane HB User

I am still confused about the shots and blocks. When they do the shots are they like trigger shots in the back done with their hand or the shots you mean are the steroids they inject threw the epidural. I have had many trigger shots also in my soft tissue.

I just get confused between the epidural and blocks and shots. My doctor say the epidural and the blocks are very similar they consist of the same medicines. There has to be a difference on how they perform it? Maybe?

Thanks! Your reply did help me understand somethings more about this subject. I guess this will all be understood as my treatment will continue and I'll just have to push my impatience and curiosities away.

Thanks take care,
Kellie

Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
(female)

brooklane HB User

One more question I promise. The block is it outpatient and do they put you in twilight or under deeper like on miner procedures?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
(female)

brooklane HB User

I think the most injections in a short period of time is over. My last one I had to wait 4months. My next one is I think 6months or 4? The ejections are moving all the referred pain down more maybe it will work it's way out? LOL
Thanks,
Kellie

Old 07-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
(male)

dub1 HB User

All the injections i have had they used twilight sedation, they have never put me all the way out. It really doesn't hurt that bad, i always look at it like if it's going to lower the pain level then i can deal with 5-10 min of acute pain. Whatever helps the chronic burning in my legs is totally worth it. The last injection i had, we didn't use sedation. I was pretty nervous about it but they used lidocane around the injection point and yes it did hurt but only very briefly and my leg pain was sooooo much better after. My doc was telling me that they are trying to get away from using sedation. The new method is to prescribe two xanax, 1 for the night before, and 1 for an hour before. This is supposed to relax you because, at least for me, its the fear of more pain that is the worst. Good luck and I hope it provides you with the relief you are seeking.
Stenosis
Nerve damage R/L
L5-S1 fusion w/hardware
L-4 herniated
Dorsal column spinal stimulator
Bi-Polar,Gen. Anxiety disorder

Closed Thread