It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

fljack1 HB User
please help what does this annular bulging mean?

I asked for a printed ct scan report so I could see what it said before going to the dr. I knew Ll4-5 was bad and now found out it says l5-s1 shows marked end plate degenerative with vacuum phenomenon present but no disc hernia seen ???? is vacuum phenomenon
also it says L2-3 L3-4 SHOWS ANNULAR BULGING i thought these were my good discs. can they still use that disc to fuse the other two.. I always did tend to overdo everthing :} Im trying to read and get as much info as I can before I go to the neurosurgeon.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User
Re: please help what does this annular bulging mean?

[QUOTE=fljack1;3083792]I asked for a printed ct scan report so I could see what it said before going to the dr. I knew Ll4-5 was bad and now found out it says l5-s1 shows marked end plate degenerative with vacuum phenomenon present but no disc hernia seen ???? is vacuum phenomenon
also it says L2-3 L3-4 SHOWS ANNULAR BULGING i thought these were my good discs. can they still use that disc to fuse the other two.. I always did tend to overdo everthing :} Im trying to read and get as much info as I can before I go to the neurosurgeon.[/QUOTE]

Hello fljack1,

The presence of a linear radiolucency in the disk space (vacuum phenomenon) is a typical finding of degenerative disk disease. With DDD as the inner nucleus dehydrates, the disc space narrows, and redundant annular ligaments bulge. With progressive nuclear dehydration, the annular fibers can crack and tear.

So, it sounds as if most of your lumbar spine is undergoing degenerative changes, which may cause you future problems but at this point it is not real bad. PT to strengthen your back and abdomen should help avoid future injury or herniations. Hope that helps a little...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

fljack1 HB User

does this sound like it means no fusion ?
or that if the 2 bad ones have to be fused these 2 would be good enough to leave alone. what do they fuse t. i thought they had to use a good disc. sorry for all the questions

Last edited by fljack1; 07-06-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: clicked enter to fast

Old 07-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Paul from CA HB User

hi,
usually, a discogram is after the imaging studies.
The discogram is a test.
This is done to find exactly which disc(s) is or isn't (are or aren't) causing you pain.

It's totally possible that your imaging studies say(or don't say) one thing but the discogram will tell the true story.

Fusion is when it has been decided that a disc is toast/causing you pain and all other treatments have been exhausted.

They take out the disc and in it's place they put in bone and or hardware.

While many have "successful" fusions and go on to lead active normal lives, it can not be denied that a fusion limits movement in the affected area and places additional strain on the discs above and below it.

This can set off a chain reaction over a person's lifetime or in as little as a few years.

However, there are alternatives emerging for fusion. This newer way of thinking is called "motion preservation".
There are devices which can be implanted to try to help stabilize the affected areas as well as full blown replacement discs called "Artificial Disc Replacements.

The latest "technology" is injectable nucleus replacements when the disc is still salvageable.

Last edited by Paul from CA; 07-06-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Closed Thread