It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

round2 HB User
Red face low back pain/pain in both legs

Hi everyone,
I am 6 weeks post op tommorrow from spinal fusion, laminectomy,decompression, and disc replacement, and I was just wondering would it be normal to be experiencing more back pain now in lower back (below incision area) and pain running down both legs buttock/calf? I was doing so good and off all my meds now this. It's worse if I wear my brace and/or laying down. I just don't know what to think anymore. the worse thing is I cannot tolerate taking narcotic pain medication and tylenol just isn't cutting it. What should I do??????

denise

Last edited by round2; 07-11-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: low back pain/pain in both legs

[COLOR="Navy"]Denise,

Sorry for the pain, but that's about the schedule. The doctors use a numbing agent inside that tends to wear off about the six week mark. That may account for some of the increased pain levels that you are experiencing.

Also, the better you feel, the more active you become. The more active you becomes, the more it will cause the nerves and muscles to work and to flare up. They have been traumatized and you are putting them to work again. It will take time for them to settle down and remember that they have jobs that they need to do. ( i assume that everything in my body has it's own individual brain and feelings. ). If you think you are doing too much, back off a little bit and see if that helps. Try alternating hot and cold packs and see if that helps. The hot tub does wonders for me....

The pain going down both legs sounds like nerve pain...if it doesn't let up you might want to ask for one of the nerve pain meds to settle it down.
Hang in there. We've been there, it will get better....[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Denise,

When did this start????? I was so surprised to see your email, All I can say is that yes I have experienced pains where I did have and did'nt have pain before, and next day they would be gone, which sometimes nearly made me feel I was totally mad !!!!!! Had a posting actually "same pain as before surgery" Sounds like abit of sciatica, did you drive much the other day? or is it an automatic car, just wondering as we dont tend to drive for a good while as most cars here are not automatic and pressing in the clutch is not the easy with the back .

I hope the pain eases up for you. Please please keep me posted, I will be thinking of you as I roll back into bed yet again !!!!

Chin up
Round1

Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
(female)

round2 HB User

Hello Ibake&pray
thanks so much for the info I just feel so frustrated, its like round one says you give 2 steps forward and 10 steps back I have been using the heat packs and cold packs hot showers you name it I have done it. How have you been feeling, good I pray. I am just so confused lol thanks again for the support!!!!!

denise

Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
(female)

round2 HB User

Hi round1,
It started on sunday, and has not wanted to go away, I only drove maybe 4blocks. this is so frustrating and I sometimes wonder if this is the way its going to be from now on. how have you been doin I read you went out for coffee I am so happy for you!!!!!! keep in touch and god bless you!!!

denise

Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Denise,

I know I have those days to, will this pain ever leave, I normally have a cry pick myself up again and start. We have to be positive and hope that we will have a better quality of life soon (sooner rather than later).

Denise, you were doing great, so dont let this upset you, easier said than done I know, as I am still struggling to stay up during the day!, but yes it is getting better as the weeks go on. Today I did a stretch of 3 hours.
As everyone here on the forum said to me give it time and you will have setbacks. Best foot forward. Going to bed now it is 10.45 pm and I am exhausted and starting physio at 10 a.m

Thinking of you, best wishes.

I found this in a drawer yesterday, it was given to me many years ago..

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-11-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Closed Thread