It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

GracefulOne HB User
Epidural Injections for LBP

OK...I'm faced after my fusion of calling my Pain Management MD for again some relief...I've had about 5 epidural cortison injections/blocks and radiofrequency ablation. The first few epidurals worked better than the last...and after getting through the pain after the injections, if I got a week and a half of pain relief out of any of them I was lucky!

Any options those of you have used that have seemed to be a little more long lasting?

Jennifer

Last edited by GracefulOne; 07-18-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: Epidural Injections for LBP

Hi J

I was just wondering why you went for so many injections if the first ones only gave you a week or so of relief?

Surely it means you need some other treatment?

I had my Facets injected and had 2 days relief but refused to have them again.
If they didnt work first time why do them again!

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Jay--I'm not sure when you had your fusion , if you did have one ? But your not supposed to have steroid injection until your bones have fused.
Steroids will eat away soft tissue and bone mass.

I think we all been through them injection's at one time with our back injuries. There not pleasant at all and only gave most of us little relief for a short time if any. Sure hope you get some kind of relief soon , it's enough to drive a person insane !

Shawley

Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

GracefulOne HB User

UM...that was the ONLY option offered to me prior to having 3 surgeries...apparently I'm an 'odd' case that doesn't respond to the injections well...I did have a few cortisone injections back in the day (like 5 years ago) for some heel problems I was having and noticed that they didn't last long then...my mother and sister both have the same response to them...so...let's just say I was a pincushion until an MRI was done after 2 epidurals and the RFA and we saw it wasn't just random nerve pain but two discs causing the problem.

I had a two level fusion this February after two hemilamenectomies in the four months prior to the fusion...so...it's not that I haven't tried anything but the injections...my husband is also a Physical Therapist who is specialized in Orthopedic Clinical Practice so I have him at my disposal in addition to aquatic therapy which I began in April of this year to help progress from the fusion.

I guess I was just looking for options post-fusion in regards to pain management...if the injections worked better post-fusion because the etiological cause of the pain should have been corrected, etc.

Problem is...the pain is almost worse than prior to surgery...that seems to be a common experience huh? If you have any directions or options that you've used to bring up to my MD that would be great!

J

Last edited by GracefulOne; 07-18-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
(female)

GracefulOne HB User

Shawley,

I'm post fusion 5 months...I guess I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row as I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up calling the Pain Mgmt MD early next week for an appt...looking for anything else that may work and offer a more long term solution...two weeks would be great

J

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Jayvue,

A lot of us find that the shots just don't seem the do the trick. And my therapist, along with my accupuncturist have both told me that if I would have kept having the shots, eventually they damage the nerve. They harden the nerve coating/casing and do damage to it. Neither one of them are in favor of the injections...but my surgeon sure is. I just keep smiling at him and avoiding scheduling any more of them.

If I were you, just say, ummm let me get back to you on that...and run, or roll or hobble away as fast as you can....[/COLOR]

Old 07-19-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
(female)

GracefulOne HB User

LOL...most likely hobble...

I would be willing to try one more simply based on the fact that the underlying problems should be resolved...yet...I'm looking for other options from my Pain Mgmt MD...we'll see soon!

Jennifer

Closed Thread