It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
(male)

eddieJ85 HB User
Questions about prescription refill...

On Monday I saw my doctor, and as usual he gave me a refill for pain medication(i'm taking vicodin es)

I've always been given a 1 week supply, so this time I asked if I could get a 2 week supply, in which he said sure fine.

Well I was given a prescription for 60 pills along with 1 refill allowed. I usually only take 6 pills a day, but the RX bottle did not give a limit on how many pills you could take in one day. It just said take 1-2 as needed every 4-6 hours. Given my situation and the pain I am in my pain lately has increased in my back and down my leg, sometimes I get very little sleep or no sleep at all. So you can imagine how many pills I go through if I am up for 20 hours in a day while taking 2 pills every 4-5 hours. I know I am probably going to run out of medication by tomorrow..and I am very terrified of missing a dose because I have been on this medication for several months and I know I would begin to go through withdrawals if I suddenly stopped it. I know I do have to stretch the medicine out and when I get the refill I will be more careful but until then

my question is, since I have one refill..can I refill that today or tomorrow? Or will the pharmacy not allow me to do that until sometime next week? If it helps, I'm using a walgreens pharmacy.

EDIT: I just now called into the pharmacy, they had this automated thing where you call in refills by typing in your number. Well, it let me put in my number and it even let me choose when I wanted to pick it up, so I just chose today at 6pm, and it didn't seem to give me any problems. Granted it was automated, but it seems like it went through so I dunno what is going on..

Last edited by eddieJ85; 07-20-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Questions about prescription refill...

Its simply a matter of math. Calculate how many pills you would use in 24 hours if you followed the perscription to a "T". 2 pills every 4 hours = 4 divided by 24 = 6 doses in 24 hour period. 6 x 2 pills = 12 in one day so he prescribed 60 pills that means every 5 days you would be refilling your meds.

Hope this helps. Isn't it a pain worrying about your meds??

Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

as dietpepper said, its just math. the only other issue you may run into is if insurance will pay at that time.. sometimes their math is different than what it should be. if thats the case you can pay cash, keep the receipt and then argue with the ins co at your leisure. I had to do that a couple times and always got the money back eventually.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

Reyne HB User

eddieJ85-
Another thing to consider is what taking all these meds are doing to your liver or body. Make sure you talk to your pharmacist and or Dr.

I know there is a limit of the acetametaphin your body can handle. Also watch out because it will cause constipation...which is a whole other pain to deal with.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
(male)

camperboy HB User

Constipation + Back Pain = Hell!

I was on morphine sulfate for a while which causes extreme constipation. It was beyond hell... until I started taking a stool softener. Take it according to the directions and MAKE SURE it says 'stool softener' on it. You DON'T want a chemical laxative!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User

[QUOTE=eddieJ85;3109542]On Monday I saw my doctor, and as usual he gave me a refill for pain medication(i'm taking vicodin es)

I've always been given a 1 week supply, so this time I asked if I could get a 2 week supply, in which he said sure fine.

Well I was given a prescription for 60 pills along with 1 refill allowed. I usually only take 6 pills a day, but the RX bottle did not give a limit on how many pills you could take in one day. It just said take 1-2 as needed every 4-6 hours. Given my situation and the pain I am in my pain lately has increased in my back and down my leg, sometimes I get very little sleep or no sleep at all. So you can imagine how many pills I go through if I am up for 20 hours in a day while taking 2 pills every 4-5 hours. I know I am probably going to run out of medication by tomorrow..and I am very terrified of missing a dose because I have been on this medication for several months and I know I would begin to go through withdrawals if I suddenly stopped it. I know I do have to stretch the medicine out and when I get the refill I will be more careful but until then

my question is, since I have one refill..can I refill that today or tomorrow? Or will the pharmacy not allow me to do that until sometime next week? If it helps, I'm using a walgreens pharmacy.

EDIT: I just now called into the pharmacy, they had this automated thing where you call in refills by typing in your number. Well, it let me put in my number and it even let me choose when I wanted to pick it up, so I just chose today at 6pm, and it didn't seem to give me any problems. Granted it was automated, but it seems like it went through so I dunno what is going on..[/QUOTE]
Hi !! I have a question for you ... I also take vicodin faithfully. My perscription says take one (7.5/500) every 4 hours . I have never made it til the fourth hour. I take it every 3 hours while awake . Because of pain I sleep around 6 hours a night which means I take 6 doses a day. May I ask the strength of your vicodin, and you said you take two at a time?? Also what does es mean ? I am wondering if maybe my dosage is too low and not the 'extended relief' kind, maybe that is why I must take it so often. I dont' get 100% relief with the vicodin by no means but when my dose is due the pain is already out of control so I know it does help somewhat. Any info would be appreciated.......thanks in advance ........

Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you kind of have an issue here that i don't think you are aware of with the tylenol?anytime you are taking a tylenol based med or tylenol itself,there is indeed a 'safe' limit as set by how much of the tylenol your liver can safely metabilize during a 12(daily) hour period.for occasional usage,it is 4000mgs,for the daily or chronic user,that safe limit actually goes down to only 3000mgs.you need to calculate just how much tylenol you are getting with your total intake within that period of time.this will affect your liver and your kidneys too over time.they simply cannot handle very high amounts espescially on a daily basis.this is usually what your daily dose"1-2 every four to six with a limit of?(this is usually six) total during the day".the doc will usually write the Rx based on just how much tylenol is actually in any given med.leaving this up to the patient to decide just leaves too much up to the patient as in your situation.there are just well set limits for a really good reason.does that "es' contain the 7.5/750?or is that tylenol amount around the 500 range?either way,you need to just figure out how much tylenol is in your particular hydro and then calculate how much you would have to take to actually hit that 3000mg limit since this is a chronic usage not the occasional one,then stay within those set guidelines.your doc did you a disservice by not stating that on your Rx.it just gives too much room for the patient to decide when to take the meds.that can lead to big organ issues for you to have to deal with down the road.in this case,it really is better to be safe than sorry.you just really need to be aware of the limitations while trying to manage your pain the best and safest ways.hopefully you can set a better dosing schedule and use other options to manage your pain when your limit has been reached.we all have to do this when we are managing high levels of pain.there just are other options besides the narcotics that can be used when things hit the fan.its just too easy to go out of guidelines when we are in pain ya know?good luck,marcia

Closed Thread