It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User
UK posters advice required re disc prolapse

Hi, as the system differs alot from USA, I wanted to know if there are any UK people here with disc problems. I suffered a disc prolapse in 1995 and it took ages to get better-the best part of a year- and I had physio, traction, and eventually an epidural under private hospital, but no surgery to the disc as this wasn't recommended by the consultant I was seeing. Now 12 years later I am suffering with the disc again, causing huge pain in my back and down my leg. I can't drive or sit for very long and am really only comfortable when lying down. I have been having some spinal manipulation by a private clinic but no better(have an appt for NHS physio assessment this week), and I just wondered what treatment for this condition was recommended by people in the UK. Do people think I should go down the medical route on the NHS(have you found this helpful) or have people had oesteopathy and had success this way? Has anyone had surgery and if so, how bad had your problem become before it was recommended to you? I just don't really know where to go from here, but with young children to look after , I just can't cope with this pain indefinately. thanks for your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: UK posters advice required re disc prolapse

Hi Rosie

Yeah i am in the the south of the UK.

I had a prolapsed disc 2 years ago (which apparently healed itself) and have been suffering ever since with back spasms,cramp and chronic sciatica.

Have had loads of physio and been on a pain management course but as i STILL havent actually been diagnosed with what my problem is i am not having much luck in the treatment department.
The physio used accupunture which helped my sciatica 90 per cent but couldnt do anything for my back pain.

I had an MRI done in Dec 2005 and after the NHS putting me off for the last 9 months i went to see my consultant 2 weeks ago expecting to get my results but they couldnt find my results.

I was fuming!! Waiting 9months only to be told they couldnt find my results and there was nothing they could do and i would have to go for another one!
I rang the hospital where i had my MRI done in 2005 and they found the results within 5 days!!

Couldnt believe it!!
Somebody obviously didnt bother to chase my results up!

I would say if you can go private to sort yourself out DO IT!!

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Sherry, thanks for the reply. Did you fund the acupuncture yourself or did the NHS provide that. Also, did you ever try any alternative treatment like chiropractice or oesteopathy? I have seen physio twice but it seems to be such a waste of time that I am tempted to go back to the spinal manipulation clinic I saw which was improving it until I had a weeks holiday which has set it right back again. I just don't know what to do, I could go private but since I am already seeing an NHS physio it seems pointless to change.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Sherry, also at any point has surgery been suggested to you.? It seems that here in the UK surgery is alot less common for this problem than in the US. I practically begged them to operate on me last time as it had gone on so long but they wouldn't-said it would get better by itself which of course it did eventually. The trouble is it is so debilitating-I luckily had just finished a part time job and for the moment there is no way that I can contemplate working as I can't sit down for long. It's awful isn't it?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

tkb HB User

Hi Rosie
I have been posting on the rsd (reflex sympathetic distrophy) for some time now, so i won't bore you with the details, you can look up my threads under tkb, i too had a prolapse at the c5/6 which was operated on Oct 05, unfortunately i havent had the best experience on the NHS, in fact i think it's a shambles, if you can afford to go private i would jump at it, i can't afford that luxury which is why i'm in the mess i am, we are lucky in one respect to have the NHS but all the waiting for appointments etc is ludicrous, i totally blame the NHS for how i am, i waited 9 months for my surgery, which was supposed to be urgent, could have been done within the week if i was able to pay and the best of all is my surgery was performed by that same doctor i saw initially! so you tell me, sorry but i am so bitter about the whole thing, i've not had the greatest experience over the past 3 years since i started with my problem, i now see a pain management consultant, have had a lumber epidural a few weeks ago, that didnt work, now i'm waiting yet again for a cervical epidural which could be up to 12 weeks waiting time! My op was performed at the LGI which is supposed to be a top neuro hospital, i don't doubt that but for goodness sake why do they tell you one thing then do another. I just had to vent when i saw your post, hope you get somewhere with your doctors and do look on the rsd board, you'll find it very helpful with good tips and advise. Good luck tkb

Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Thanks tkb, I certainly will! You have given me food for thought, that's for sure.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi Rosie

I have had all my treatment through the NHS.

Thats probably why 2 years down the line i am still waiting for a diagnosis because everything takes so long an they make such a **** upwith my first MRI results.

It was my doc who referred me to a physio.
I have been told nottogoto an osteopath or a chiro till i actually know whats wrong with me which i suppose makes sense.

When i saw my consultant 3 weeks ago he did ask if i would consider surgery and i said yes.

Am seeing him again next week for my diagnosis so will decide from there.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
(female)

tkb HB User

Sherry,
My advise to you is please don't go to physio or chiro or osteopath until you know exactly what is diagnosed, it will be a waste of time and cause you even more pain, i won't let them touch me with a barge pole now!
good luck tkb

Old 09-03-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
(female)

tkb HB User

Rosie

Any futher developments for you, i was just wondering, i go for cervical epi on 21st Sept, see if that works for me,.
Please keep us posted.
Regards, tkb

Closed Thread