It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
Anyone tried those machines where you hang by your feet?

I don't know the name for these machines, but you know what I'm talking about. I get so much relief when my husband pulls on my feet or when I in other ways stretch out my spine. Just wondering if those inverter things would help or if I would risk hurting myself more. Don't want that...

kd

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
Re: Anyone tried those machines where you hang by your feet?

Hi Kd,
My neighbor has one, it's an inversion table I believe. I would consult your dr. since you could really make things much worse depending whats wrong with you. They do help my neighbor alot. She is in her 60's and has scoliosis among other back problems. She did ask her doc before she bought it. Good Luck if you try it, please let us know howit works if you get one.

God Bless

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Georgia"]I have an inversion table, and I love it... and yes, I did consult the orthopedic doctor and the physical therapist first.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks! I'll check with my doctor.

kd

Old 08-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I was stuck on one by friends and did not like it. But...I did have traction when I first herniated the discs and I do believe it helped the most. I think its the same principle...but not sure.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
(female)

judyswrite HB User

Hi KD,
I have spondylolisthesis of L-5. I.E., The L-5 vertebrae has moved forward, causing a pinching of my sciatic nerve. I have been dealing with extreme sciatic pain down my rt leg into my little toe, with an excruciating muscle spasm pain in my rt calve muscle, for almost a year. I won't bore you with my history of treatment. Suffice to say that I have tried everything from accupunture to 3 epidurals.

I bought an inversion apparatus. I feel as if it helps to stretch out and elongate the spine. The weight of my body stretches my spine. Since I've been hanging upside down daily, and I also do core strengthening exercises, I've noticed a vast difference. NOTE: It doesn't seem to be a cure, but it definitely helps to relieve my pain. I also notice a 'difference in the level of my pain' if I allow days to go by without 'inverting.'

The apparatus that I bought, a Total Back System, allows me to 'hang by my lap,' not by my ankles. (This is so much more appealing to me. The thought of going backward and hanging by my ankles is scary!) I weigh about 120, but the apparatus will hold a person up to 300 lbs.

OK, so here's how it works. I stand in front of the apparatus, and there's a rectangular cushioned pad that is in front of, and across both of my thighs, and there's a 4" padded, roll (bar) that is behind my knees. That's what holds me from falling as I hang up-side-down. (kind of like when you were a kid and hung up-side-down on the 'monkey bars.) There are handles to help me get into position. I hold onto one handle with one hand, and I reach for another handle with the other hand, as I ease myself forward into a hanging up-side-down position. The position of my body looks as if I'm 'sitting up-side-down.' It's very comfortable. I've 'worked up' to hanging up-side-down for 3 minutes at a time, twice a day.

The price was also appealing in comparing this inversion apparatus to others. It was $200, no shipping charge. I am 'not allowed to post' where I bought it, but I can tell you I bought it online.

Judy

Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks for that information Judy. Have you had any numbness and if so has it helped with that? My foot has been numb and extremely "tight" feeling for 3 months. I have considerable pain in my foot, but the hip and leg pain let up about 2 weeks ago, although I still get twinges of it, and am afraid it could come back if I'm not careful. That price sounds good. I'm going to check for one because I prefer the idea of not hanging by my ankles too. I hope you get some permanent relief soon.

kd

Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I bought an inversion table, but I havent been able to use it, since its the type you hang by your ankles. I have some bad ankle problems too, and there is no way i'd be able to hang from them since I bought it. One ankle only gives me mild problems, the other gets horrible at times. I'm not sure my right ankle will ever feel good enough to use my table, though. It is a form of traction, though not the same as you get in PT. There are times I've felt like trying to hand upside from a tree limb (never did it though). It's like my spine feels so compressed at times that I feel the need to stretch it apart.

Closed Thread