It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

Indychick829 HB User
anyone with SCOLIOSIS and a pus/blood filled boil/pimple??!!

little back story: 20 years ago, my boyfriend had 2 metal rods put in his back on his spine because he was born with scoliosis. he is active and works out / lifts weights and for the most part the actual scoliosis / rods really don't bother him.

Now. He is 34 years old. He's NEVER had this issue before he met me. But on his back - in the middle - about 6 inches down from his neck - he's had this pus filled (sometimes bleeding) boil like thing. It sorta "comes and goes" and one week it'll pus and bleed and i'll clean it up (rubbing alcohol) and bandage it up and it stops bleeding and it's ok for a few weeks or a month until it 'pops open' again. He keeps begging me to "pop" his "pimple" and tonight when I was cleaning it - it popped and alll this pus and blood came out (a LOT more than usual). It's bandaged right now and he STILL refuses to go to the doc becuase he doesn't have insurance and can't afford it and he swears it's nothing big. (btw, he will be on mine next YEAR)...

He swears he doesn't feel ANYTHING back there. And on the net it says actual boils are usually painful and not normally on the back. So i'm not sure if it's actually a boil or what it is. does ANYONE know what this could be?

I don't know if it has anything to DO with the rods or scoliosis or if it's just something completely unrelated. anyone have ANY idea?

Last edited by Indychick829; 08-08-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: anyone with SCOLIOSIS and a pus/blood filled boil/pimple??!!

It's hard to say. Thinking from afar and what you've stated, I doubt they are related. He sounds like he has those types of cysts that fester, pop, and recur. IF that is what he has, he needs to be seen by a doc. They can often clean them out better and help reduce recurrence, and or some need surgery, and still on some.. the thing keeps erupting.

The rods were put there a long time ago, and it's lower in the back and this "boil" as you call it is up on his upper back. So, that is what gives me the notion these are not related, and "boils" are also not a norm to disc/spine issues on the surface of the skin.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

It could quite possibly be a boil. My DH is very prone to them and has them on his chin, in his belly button, around his waist, on his buttock and between his legs. I know TMI. He can develope them anywhere he has body hair. The doctor explained that a hair will get irritated (over extended time) and develope an infection at the root. This infection will become incapsulated and enlarged. This is a deep infection so after it has broken open and drained, it will not be painful until it fills again sometime later or hopefully never. For the recurrent boils, they need to be removed (encasulation or cyst scraped out). The dermatologist also prescribed a roll-on antibiotic that really helped in drying out the boils instead of leaving them to burst.

Your boyfriend really should see a doctor. As boils fill & drain they get larger and go deeper into the tissues. He does not want that infection to end up draining into his body rather than outside. Dr told DH the boil in his embillicus (belly button) is very dangerous because it will most likely eat its way into his abdomen and instead of being off work for 4 days from having it removed, he would be in the hospital 4 months fighting infection. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
(female)

Indychick829 HB User

Thank you both for your replies!!! And yes, BELIEVE ME...I KNOW he needs to see a doctor...but until he's on my insurance (2008) he won't go.

I didn't think the two were related (which, btw, the rods actually stop at the bottom of his neck - they're down his entire spine to right above his buttocks), but I wasn't sure - and I just want to make sure it won't AFFECT the other...because I don't want it to keep happening and end up SPREADING internally - and plus, even though we've been dating for a year (living together for 6 months) - I'm still not too educated on his actual condition.

I'll just continue to keep cleaning it for now, though and maybe I can even get him to go to the minute clinic (if this is ALL it is...) But unfortunately he's a "guy" and he doesn't "need" to go see a doctor....he's "tough". As much as I love him, I want to slap him! lol.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

GracefulOne HB User

I know your boyfriend doesn't have insurance but what about going to a walk-in clinic that charges a fixed amount - we have several in the area and I believe they are around $40 to see a doctor or PA/Nurse Practitioner. At least he would know if it's something serious and perhaps he can get on an antibiotic that would prevent them from occuring in the future - most generic antibiotics are very reasonable.

I would very much get it checked out even if it means spending a few dollars out of pocket...most clinics around here are walk-in and have a very short waiting time.

Good Luck!

J

L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy (9/06)
L4/L5 Hemilaminectomy (11/06)
L4/5 L5/S1 Posterior Interbody Lumbar Fusion with Instrumentation (1/07)

Closed Thread