It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
What Would You Do In Case Like Mine? Confused...

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi to all of you! I hope today is a pain free day for you, at least i wish it is...

Here i am:
Since my first fusion failed, my Doctor at HSS prepares me now for a second surgery of 3 levels now. I am going soon for another discogram and than they schedule the day.

Doctor at same hospital called leting me know that i must have total knee replacement since i walk "bone-on-bone". And since i have a bad back, having such a bad knees does not help my back to recover.

What do I do first??
I just spent a "nice vacation" at the local hospital for horrible arrythmia and low heart rate. They admitted me at cardiac floor and i was sent home with 30 days heart monitor and than they have to decide to do pace maker or beta blockers (which you gain weight even more than with steroids i was told).
And to make matter worse during spinal MRI they found fluid in a lung and in 3 month it has to be checked by CT again.

I had so many surgeries in my life i never been scared. Now i am scared (hate to complain,but...) not only because i know what recovery means for both surgeries but also for this heart and lung condition...

Doctors don't have the answers for me. They say that both surgeries are magor and it can be risky for a very healthy patients, but they had older patients with a heart/lungs problems and they survive...

My question to you, dear people, what would you do?

I am scared, full of questions, so confused... I can't leave or i want to leave as disabled person in pain, but all these risk factors give me sleepless nights.

thank you in advance [/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: What Would You Do In Case Like Mine? Confused...

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]
Moldova-- I'm sorry to hear this jeezzz...I can't tell you what to do ? I just hope they can take your pain away . You have been so nice to me and I can't help , I'm sorry..I know it's hard but don't let this eat at you at night , these doc's can do amazing things nowday so don't worry to much..I wish there was more I could say.

I'll be praying for you every night.

Shawley [/B][/COLOR]

Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova - this is a question which no one else can answer but you. I think first you have to get the heart arithyma situated then I would throw the question out to your spinal surgeon which you should do first the back or the knees.

I am sorry you have so much going on and pray that you feel better soon.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

Yes, get your heart taken care of first. heart problems can sometimes be silent, so you need to make sure the ticker is working well. my mom lived with chf for years & she had several heart attacks with little to no warning signs. don't want that to scare you, but that seems to me to be the first priority.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Gosh I am sorry you are going thru so much. I agree with Pepper. Get the heart fixed first then ask your spine Dr what they think. They may suggest doing the knees first as walking is such an important part of recovery from spine surgery.

Good luck and know that you are in my prayers. Please keep us posted. We are here for you.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

oh dear, I would go along the lines of the heart, you have alot to handle at the moment, and we cant even go there for you, but we are here, so vent away, and scream and shout, but I would say sort the heart, and then worry about sorting the knees, and then the back. You don't want to get the back sorted and then when they operate on the kness, but you in some weird position and mess up the back !!!! I dont want to sound flippant, but God i dont really know what to say or advice to give, but will be thinking of you, along with many others here on the board tonight. Why does life have to be so God damn tough.

Round 1

Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Moldova - You are such a strong support for all of us, it so hard to imagine how much you are still going through. I will keep you in my prayers. As others have said, you should address your heart issues first. Need a strong ticker for the other things. Don't worry about the beta-blockers. I have been on them for over 25 years, originally for migraine headaches then the last 8 years for HBP. Although I am overweight, the beta-blockers had no effect on it one way or the other. It just seems my body likes a certain range no matter what my mind or society tells it. Keep your chin up and take things one body part at a time. When you make it through all this, you will need to change your user name to bionic woman!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You all are so wonderful - what would i do without you? I read all replies and tears just cover my face. I strongly believe that only people who go through same thing can understand another soul the way you do... thank you, dear people!

I agree with all of you about heart. Just scared what if cardiologist would not let me have this surgery because of my condition. Than what? This is silly to worry about it now, but i am so tired from all Doctors, app., and problems, seems like i try to fix one problem - another one appears. GP says that surgery and tough recovery weakened my immune system; that is why i got shingles at my age (this is unusual) and so on...
Anyway, from the bottom of my heart i wish you all well and more painl
ess days. Thank you so much for your warm wishes and support.
((( )))

Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

What would I do, probably freak out and not know what to do either. You are going to have to have very strong faith in your surgeons and make a decision off of there opinions. Ofcourse several opinions. Pray alot and do alot of soul searching, and try to do what we all should, live each day as happily as we can...hugs and best wishes to you vette

Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

oh you poor dear....Moldova...so many things at once. This is such a scary time for you. I guess you have to address all of your problems...but as you wonder, which one first... wellllll...

Such a lot of decisions....ask your doctors...see what they have to say...what they would do if they were in your place....Ask each of them...what order you would do your procedures in, and how far apart..would be nice if you could do the same recovery time for a couple of them. Maybe they can help you with scheduleing them...if the correct order.

You are such a sweet person....and so caring of others...please let us help you now... Crying is good...it lets some of the stress out...don't worry about crying... Mad is good too...cause it does the same thing...and self pity..well, why not...venting is not bad either.. You can do it all...and we will be here for you. Please feel better.

Leslie

Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Moldova I did not realize you had all of this on your plate, nless your heart. I am so sorry you are dealing with all of these issues at one time, but because I worked in a cardiac area, I can tell you get the heart and lungs taken care of first. The beta blockers are really good meds, the help alot I have not really heard of anyone gaining weight on them. Then your knees and back, because your walking is going to play a large role in your recovery.
Moldova, I just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers, take care

Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you all for your kindness, means a lot to me. I usually don't like to complain but that big question mark on a top of my head bothers me so much.

Today i recieved a phone call from PM Doctor at HSS saying that Doc Camissa wants me to see him and a posibility of discogram is ahead. Well, at first i thought that discogram is the worse part of this conversation, i was wrong. He is the only Doc who Camissa uses for discograms and PM advices for his patients but he does not participates insurances at all: not for consultation ($500.00) not for discogram. For one level only $1750 (includes discogram and fluourodite) + hospital fees+ anesthesiologist fees... What if he will do all 3 levels? I am crushed! I called back to Camissa's office saying if he can recommend somebody else who takes insurances, they say that he will not be able to do my surgery if i will not do it by him since this particular PM makes the "route" for surgeon before he goes in. He wants to be 100% sure before he goes in what areas needs to be operated on and where exactly pain is. I love that he is so particular and professional of course,
I think this is great that they work as a team, but money... and how can i stop now when we already spent so much time and money to get to this point... Now is another question mark, is in it?

Never ends for us, spineys...
Best wishes to all of you!!!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova, it sounds like you almost have to go for it and go broke while doing it. I pray everyday that all my spinney friends find relief soon....I may have to come right behind you.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, Diet, this scares me more than surgery honestly. Not only we have to deal with pain, but also with financial decisions wich can be very frastruated.
Thank you for your warm wishes - all the best to you too!

Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I am so sorry to hear of your plight. It is bad enough to have so many physical problems to have to deal with let alone the financial worry of it all.

Heart and lungs is number one. They have to be stable before any surgery can be considered. As far as the beta blockers are concerned they can be a godsend as I was on them for over 30 years. Also as a side benefit they will probably help to relax you.

I am sorry but unfortunately this is but one of the sadder sides of medicine for profit as demonstrated by these doctors. They dictate how they will be paid "cash only please". Hail the almighty dollar!

So much for helping the sick and reducing the stress that their patients are undergoing. Pretty sad if you ask me. Think they should have gone into plumbing instead.

Closed Thread