HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Fused at 13 months! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/525847-fused-13-months.html)

zeroman 08-16-2007 05:59 AM

Fused at 13 months!

just wanted to post some good news.. saw my doc the other day and x-rays showed that L3-4-5 is finally fused solid :)

short version: had a double fusion in June 06 with cages and BMP. had the usual recovery - lots of ups and downs and second guesses as to whether I should of had it done due to lingering pain etc.

I had been a bit unhappy two months ago when I saw him and x-ray showd that at 11 months L3-4 was fused but L4-5 was only half way there. visions of it stopping there stayed in my head till this last visit. but its fused and fused solid, I could see it myself. according to the doc the discs above and below the fusion site look very good as far as spacing and height so as long as I watch myself the "domino effect" should not happen.. we shall see.

Im not too happy with the weight limit (20 lbs) but I will abide by it. I have no intention of stressing any more discs.

so soon I shall go for job retraining as the doc was [B]very[/B] strong his assertion that I can only do "light duty" work (and he stressed the "light" part several times) so I cant go back to constuction. looks like a desk job for me.

so I just wanted to post this to let those who are having a slow fusion know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. it may be a long way off but it is there.

13 months is considered a "normal" time frame - it can go to 18 months but also be as short as 6 months.. I of course had hoped for the 6 months as I sure every one here has. and Ill be the first to admit when I wasnt fused at 9 months (and especially when I found I wasnt done at 11) that I was worried. but God has done me well so I shouldnt have doubted Him.

hope everyone is doing well! keep on healing :)

Roy47 08-16-2007 06:07 AM

Re: Fused at 13 months!

That is awsome!!!!!!!!!

I am going todfay for my 6th month check up myself / I had a CT scan done this week and he wanted this done as well / [I] am sure that he will take a few x-rays as well.

I would think that it would be wise to listen to the doc and enjoy life as much as you can... I currently have a desk job myslf and it is not all bad; [I] miss not being more physically acitve but I am walking 3 miles in the morning and 3 at night and dropping wieght as a result. Cut down on the portion sixes and it all hleps...

Great news...

ROY:wave:

dunerkat58 08-16-2007 06:27 AM

That must have been a great doc appt for you! How wonderful to have good news. It does take a long time to recover but sounds like you are doing well. Take care.

BlueAtlas 08-16-2007 06:47 AM

Yea!!!! Congratulations, Zeroman! You must be flying high right now! I'm so glad for you. This is one "F" word that's most welcome to our ears!

I wish you the best as you pursue a new career. I'm in the same boat, but I know it will eventually work out. The question marks in our futures are a bit frustrating, but you keep hanging in there. You'll figure out what will work for you.

In the meantime, I hope you're celebrating this wonderful milestone! Fantastic!

Blessings,
Emily :wave:

zeroman 08-16-2007 06:48 AM

thanks Roy, I will listen to the doc.. I just expected I would be able to lift a bit more. but I have no desire to have another back surgery so I will be careful.

at 6 months I was just showing the beginnings of fusion - it was a light milky area in the x-rays around the cages. but dont worry if you cant see it, some folks take longer to begin and some x-rays equipment doesnt show it as well as others.

best of luck during your visit!

Emily, dunerkat - thanks! I am celebrating! I was worried that my fusion had stopped or would take the full 18 months but God had a nice surprise waiting for me :)

Im sure Ill do fine in a new career. its probably going to be rough changing careers at 45 but Im confident that it will work out for the better in the end.

take care!

ms_west 08-16-2007 06:52 AM

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]CONGRATULATIONS!![/COLOR][/SIZE]:bouncing: :bouncing:

Moldova 08-16-2007 06:58 AM

Zeroman,
this is so great - so happy for you... Just continue improving and enjoy every day of your normal life...:blob_fire :blob_fire
I was also told that my weight limit for the rest of my life is 10-15 pd and never more than that. But i can't do it anyway - so why worry, right?
Best wishes to you:)

xzx 08-16-2007 07:06 AM

Thanks for the post Zeroman!! I am sooo happy for you! I hope that you continue to feel better and better. I am having the same fears of not fusing all the way, and your post made me feel so much better. You have given me good advice in the past and I just wanted to thank you for it, so thankyou!! I wish you the best of luck going back to work, sounds like good things are coming your way. All the best.

Rose

mamakitkat 08-16-2007 07:44 AM

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi Zeroman,
[SIZE="6"]Congrats!!!![/SIZE] That is such great news to hear, I wish we heard more of it on here. Your such an encouragment to others with your post. Please keep us updated on your new training and job venture. Thats gonna be a big change from construction to an office job, I wish you the best of luck with your future and hope you stay in touch here to continue to be an encouragment to all of us.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Sage48 08-16-2007 04:00 PM

Great news Zeroman!!!! How wonderful that you have finally fused....this is the kind of news we don't hear often enough here....
As far as retraining at 45.....well that is not very old!!!! Even if you think it is...you are experienced in a trade...Transfer some of the knowledge you have to the other side of the desk. Has worked for others. My husband was laid off at 42....and again at 53....scary....he said that he would probably never be hired again...his age... Well just the opposite happened..he posted his resume...and low and behold a national company swooped him up (right after he had been hired in a lesser job...6 months later!)....well this company has been the most wonderful thing in his life. Basically his dream job...and no, he doesn't have a college degree...he has on the job training/college courses/and lots and lots of experience.... This is a job that college graduates get...BUT, his life experience takes over in place of the college.
I would like to encourage you in school, I myself didn't go to college until I was (gasp) 44...wow....and it was fun...actually... Take the opportunity for retraining and run with it... and have some fun too!!!! Good luck...and congratulations on your fusing.

Sage

Justoneofus 08-16-2007 09:04 PM

Congrats guy! I was solidly fused at 7 months, but I had only one level to fuse, not two.

Dont be afraid to learn something new in the job arena. I used to be in HR for many years, and was having trouble finding HR work in my area, and just stumbled onto a legal position in a law firm (totally out of my knowledge base). Wouldn't you know it.. I got the job and have been there for over 3 years now. How bout that. Oh.. and Im 45. So we are never too old to learn something new and be successful at it. You go guy!!

All the best to you!

Nikirae 08-16-2007 09:29 PM

Congratulations Zeroman, that is such awsome news! :)

~hugs Niki

Round1 08-17-2007 11:23 AM

Zeroman, You must be thrilled with that result, it is weight off your mind.
Great to see good results. Thank you for yours support to my thread is this my limit, I finally got around to replying to you all today. Thank you.

Round 1

yvette777 08-17-2007 02:23 PM

Great News, Congatulations!!!!! I'm going to voc rehab to try to find a new career path myself....hey what do they say, if one door closes another one opens right?

lhodge 08-17-2007 03:01 PM

Hi Zeroman,

Congratulations, its lovely to hear happy news, at just over 8 weeks post op I hope to be where you are one day! Take it easy and good luck with your job.

Hodgey
x

Fused at L4/5
Stabilisation at L3/4 & L2/3