It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

jaydar HB User
Artificial Disc Replacement seems to be a disappointment here in America

I'm still battling wc insurance for fusion surgery.Originally I had hoped for adr but the surgeon talked me out of it saying it had a low success rate here in the USA.He wants to do 360 fusion and I really was trying to hold out until doctors became proficient with adr.
Does anyone know if The German clinics were blowing smoke on their success rates with adr? Or are they telling the truth about how good it is and the doctors here just haven't had enough experience with it?
I know the Charitte is involved in lawsuits,but is it really a hardware issue or human error that has caused the people in these suits the problems.
It's really too bad because I had researched this for quite a long time and it really seemed to be the way to go for back repair and a return to quality of life.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User
Re: Artificial Disc Replacement seems to be a disappointment here in America

[QUOTE=jaydar;3158999]I'm still battling wc insurance for fusion surgery.Originally I had hoped for adr but the surgeon talked me out of it saying it had a low success rate here in the USA.He wants to do 360 fusion and I really was trying to hold out until doctors became proficient with adr.
Does anyone know if The German clinics were blowing smoke on their success rates with adr? Or are they telling the truth about how good it is and the doctors here just haven't had enough experience with it?
I know the Charitte is involved in lawsuits,but is it really a hardware issue or human error that has caused the people in these suits the problems.
It's really too bad because I had researched this for quite a long time and it really seemed to be the way to go for back repair and a return to quality of life.[/QUOTE]

My opinion and mine only is that adr is still in it's infancy, even in Germany and Europe. There are far too many problems both with the design of the devices, and the techniques/training for implantation that give rise to the problems that you are seeing now. Then there even more problems with doctors in the US and in Europe who don't select the right patient for implantation, who skip over the facet joint problems that are a definate exclusionary criteria but they decide that a little facet joint arthritis is okay.....only to have people having to try to find someone to undertake a dangerous revision surgery later......NO THANK YOU...
I have read far too many stories of even the most "renowned" doctors in Germany flubbing implantation, and these are guys who supposedly are the best in the world...
I looked into adr when my back problems started and after reading some of the stories, the concerns with the designs, etc, I decided there was no way....
Anyway, that's my two cents on this whole adr deal.......maybe in 20 years when the technology is a lot better, and the instruction in how to implant them is a lot more thorough......
Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: Artificial Disc Replacement seems to be a disappointment here in America

Not all ADR has low success. Cervical and Lumbar ADR surgery are two different animals. Cervical ADR has a huge success following, where lumbar does not.

Just wanted to throw that tidbit in. All the best to you.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread