It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
(male)

camperboy HB User
What are symptoms of L4-L5 nerve impingement?

Hi, all

It's camperboy (formerly Davey K) back again.

First off, since I've been on the boards, I finally talked to my surgeon and PC doctor and the verdict seems to be to do a front/back fusion on my L5-S1 disc (had a micro-d last august that failed). The MRI also shows that the disc above it is also has deg. disc disease. I know the fusion will put extra pressure on it. I have been experiencing - besides the typical L5-S1 pain (pirifomis, back of thigh, outside of calf) burning sensations in the top inside of my thighs.

Is this a typical L4-L5 nerve pain? Cuz if it is, I may ask the surgeon to do a 2 level instead of just the 1.

Thanks as always, and I'll be reading all the threads I can from folks who have done an L5-S1 fusion to see everyone's experiences. But chime in if you've got something to add.

As always, thanks and speedy healing to all,

-David

Last edited by camperboy; 08-23-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
(female)

lhodge HB User
Re: What are symptoms of L4-L5 nerve impingement?

Hi David,

I have degenerative disc disease and I have had a L4/5 fusion now (9 weeks post op), the symptoms I experienced were trouble standing from a sitted position...i had to walk my hands up my legs to stand up fully. I also experienced pain daily from any minor activity. It felt better to lay down and the pain was usually much worse in the evening.

My two discs above L4/5 were also showing signs of degeneration, but instead of fusing those areas, my surgeon decided to stabilise them with wallis ligaments. Which could be another way to go??

This is just my experiences, other people could have different symptoms.

Good luck!

Hodgey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Do a search on dermotone charts and you will see the nerves and their locations throughout your legs. Sorry don't know if its the meds or not but I don't understand the description of your pain. Top of thigh, left/right side?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
(male)

camperboy HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;3171898]Do a search on dermotone charts and you will see the nerves and their locations throughout your legs. Sorry don't know if its the meds or not but I don't understand the description of your pain. Top of thigh, left/right side?[/QUOTE]

I mean, if you were sitting and looking down at your right leg, the thigh muscle between the groin and the knee. I'll have to do a search on the charts right now and see.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Like Diet says do a search on dermatones and you will see how each level can affect different areas. I am fused at L5S1 and my symtoms were crazy and spuratic legs, feet and vaginally well and my back. It would keep changing I think to make me crazy, spasms, shooting pain, needles, burning, aching and move from place to place...it was crazy.

Closed Thread