It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Stiffness & Achiness Along Sides of Spine

Hi all,

Does anyone ever get stiffness and achiness in what seems to be along the sides of your entire spine? I seem to get flare ups of this and this morning I woke up and it was really pronounced, though it has been bothering me for weeks already, just more so today. My whole spine, including neck area feels very stiff; and i feel this achiness in where seems to be along the sides of my vertebrae. It does not seem like spasms, though, as it doesnt feel the same and doesnt radiate out so far. And it's not exactly really painful, but it's very achy. I am also having this feeling in other joints, which are also more pronounced today, plus my face is all puffy again. I had thought for a while maybe I was in a lupus flare, but this time my spine seems to act up the same time as my other joints..and lupus arthritis doesnt affect the spine. Or maybe it's just 2 different things acting up at once, I don't know. But does anyone else get this stiffness & achiness along the sides of their spine?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Stiffness & Achiness Along Sides of Spine

Baybreeze, I do get a very deep aching pain like stenosis from time to time. Then usually it follows with a burning up in my thoracic and right below the shoulders.

When I get in the pool/hot tub, I have noticed that it helps it alot.
I do hope that you feel better.

Last edited by ms_west; 08-25-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Hi bay, I was wondering if you get the swelling everytime you flare up? Is the pain real severe and not relieved by meds. I know I have had the stiffness, but I just thought it was part of my injury. Have you tried warm or cold compresses? I really dont know what to say, I was checking in on you to see how you were, I hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Im not sure if I also get swelling, although my last MRI in May mentioned "soft tissue edema posteriorly noted", though it doesnt seem to say where in my spine this was. I do, however, get visible swelling in my right ankle and sometimes my hands.

Hi Kk, thanks....The pain I have in regards to this achiness & stiffness in my spine is not severe, I would say it's more moderate. It's not as bad as other pains ive had such as nerve pain (sciatica) or neurogenic claudication. But it's just very wide spread. I cant be certain, but maybe it is my muscles..but it does not feel the same as when I get spasms. I have tried otc ibuprofen & tylenol, and I have a few percocets left from 2 weeks ago when I had what I think were more herniations, with bad nerve pain in both hips and groin areas. The percs have tylenol in them, but it's not doing much for all this achiness & stiffness I have.

Yes, I try ice & heat. I find ice doesnt work very well for me, moist heat at least soothes muscle spasms when I have them. I must have a collection of 10 or so heating pads! LOL One for every part of my body, good grief.

I finally have my rheumatologist appt. Monday afternoon, though not sure if he's going to suggest anything for me. Last time I was there was 5 monhts ago & he didnt suggest I make any further appointment, which was odd. But then I went due to my sciatica, and he said I should see my spine surgeon for my back. (which I did). Thing is, I know I have arthritis in my lumbar spine & elsewhere (and maybe in cervical), so I think he should at least try to be helping me with the arthritis part. Plus he's always taken me in right away (same day or next day) when I've called in pain for some reason. Now all of a sudden I had to wait 3 weeks. Ahhh, now Im starting to vent, thats enough.

Pepper, I also get pain & stiffness that radiates to my left shoulder. Sometimes it burns and my neck and shoulder will spasm. This other problem, though is along my entire spine, though it doesnt feel like the stenosis pain. It does feel sort of like the arthritis in my ankle, though.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
(female)

txstitches HB User

I kinda wonder if you're getting osteoporosis too. I've had a breast reduction that took the pain in the spine out , but I get the pain back every so great often but that's ok. It's easier to deal with like it is now.I also know if you have large breasts you will suffer with back pain for having it. I have seen a Chiropractor but it doesn't matter. I'm told not to soak in the tub and told to quit the sodas and some other things which contribute to it. Also too right now I'm going through the change. I might as well face it. I need to see my eye doctor for new glasses prescription. But see if cutting out some no-no's help I'm still trying to break this habit of soaking , I've almost cut soft drinks out totally Yay!!! but I still have problems with drinking water. At least my back pain however is minimal.

txstitches

Last edited by txstitches; 07-01-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Closed Thread