It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

lesha3 HB User
what kind of pain is this?

i have this horrible pain in my lower back that can only be described as a nagging,agitating,constant pain.i do take pain meds for degenerative osteroarthritis,and fibro, but this pain wont seem to go away.at night it aches so bad, its very hard to get to sleep.i have to put bengay on and sleep with moist heat also.does this kind of pain sound like nerve pain? or arthritis pain? or maybe something else? please if anyone has an idea what kind of pain this sounds like, let me know.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: what kind of pain is this?

Hi Leesha, and welcome to the board. I'm sorry I don't really have an answer for you. It could very well be your arthritis; on the other hand, it might be something else. I suggest a trip to the dr. who treats you for arthritis and ask for an x-ray of that area of your back. If nothing shows up, then perhaps an MRI is in order to see if there is another cause.

Backs are strange things and so many things can go wrong, it's sometimes hard to know where to start; but in your case, I feel safe in advising you the way I have.

I hope you find the answer....nagging pain, especially at night, can fray your nerves. Good luck to you.

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, pain in the low back can be caused by many, many things; some minor, some not, so it could be the OA or could be something else. It coudl even be something not back related (for example kidney stones can cause pain in the low back area)

How would you describe the sensation you're feeling? Such as might it be burning, searing, shock-like, electric-like, crampy, achy, sharp, dull, etc.?
Does it feel better or worse in certain positions or with certain movements?

Does the pain seem localized in one area, or does it radiate to other areas?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

lesha3 HB User

[QUOTE=Baybreeze;3182501]Hi, pain in the low back can be caused by many, many things; some minor, some not, so it could be the OA or could be something else. It coudl even be something not back related (for example kidney stones can cause pain in the low back area)

How would you describe the sensation you're feeling? Such as might it be burning, searing, shock-like, electric-like, crampy, achy, sharp, dull, etc.?
Does it feel better or worse in certain positions or with certain movements?

Does the pain seem localized in one area, or does it radiate to other areas?[/QUOTE]

thanks for replying,its a nagging constant ache,like i feel like jumping out of my body to escape it.it only seems to feel better in a hot tub, or moist heat while im laying on my stomache,but then my leg goes to sleep from my siatic nerve.every nerve in my lower back seems frazzeled,but with a horrible ache.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

sounds like it's time to get your lower spine MRI'd and see what is or isn't goin on back there. Keep us posted.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Is there a certain position that relieves your pain i.e. sitting, standing, leaning forward and sitting, leaning forward standing, etc.?

It sounds like you need to see your GP and have him order some simple xrays and a MRI. Then depending on those results you should see a spinal surgeon or neurologist.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
(female)

lesha3 HB User

hi,i also wanted to let you know i did have mris,about 3 in the past two years.at first i had herniated disks, and was offererd a diskectomy and fusion surgery, which i didnt do, i was scared.now the mri no longer shows i have herniated disks,but degenerative osterarthritis of the lower spine,and loss of water content,and changes, and spina bifada occulta. the dr more or less said theres nothing that can be done except pain management,physical therapy,epidual injections.im just wondering if this is arthritis, maybe i should be on an arthritis med. or if its nerve damage, which ive also heard, maybe i should be on a med to help nerve pain.right now im taking percocet,it helps me get going, and takes the throbbing pain away. i also take ritalin for extreme fatigue, on count of the fibro,and ativan at night, i couldnt sleep without it.still i feel something is missing, because i just hurt all the time!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
(female)

Miggy HB User

Lesha,

What caught my attention was your fibro. Alot of fibromyalgia pain can stem from undiagnosed hypothyroidism or undertreated hypothyroidism. Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Alot of drs. miss thyroid problems until they have progressed. My fibro rarely bothers me now that I am on thyroid meds.

Deb

Closed Thread