It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User
Anyone use Dr. Mango - Long Island, NY surgeon

I was wondering if anyone has used Dr. Thomas Mango for back surgery. I was recommended to use him or at least see him for an opinion. If any of you have, can you tell me your opinion or results with using him for any surgery you may have had? I will need a fusion and just want some ideas. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

stormy32 HB User
Re: Anyone use Dr. Mango - Long Island, NY surgeon

Hi Elmo, I'm on Long Island also, but never heard of Dr. Mango. Where is he located?? I had a 2 level fusion done about 8 weeks ago. I went into NYC to the Hospital for Special Surgery. I had a microdiscectomy done with a Dr. on Long Island a few years ago, but then had a car accident that screwed things up. Living so close to NYC where the best spinal surgeons are, I decided to go with them for my fusion. I don't know if getting into the city is a possibilty for you, but it's worth another opinion if you can. They are the best!! I'm not saying that Dr. Mango isn't good, as I said earlier, I don't know of him. Bottom line is, you have to feel comfortable with your surgeon. For me, I was most comfortable at Hospital for Special Surgery. But, I know a few people who have had fusions done on Long Island and done very well. Good luck with finding a Dr. that you trust and having a successful surgery, if that is what you need. Also, what I have learned from reading posts on this board. Make sure your surgeon is a spinal surgeon(not a general orthopedic surgeon that happens to do spinal surgery too) with a fellowship in spinal surgery.

-Stormy

Last edited by stormy32; 09-02-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: adding info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

I 100% agree with you. I believe he is the chief of Spinal Surgery at NUMC. I heard he really takes the time to talk with you. My friend had a micro-d with him and did fine. I'm not thrilled with the hospital he's affiliated with though. I do want to get a 2nd opinion at HSS soon. I have heard they are the best, especially Dr. Cammisa. However, it sticks that you have to pay a non-refundable fee of $500 just to walk in the door!!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
(male)

gotchu99 HB User

Hi Elmo, I have never heard of your doctor, but I will gladly post the doc that did my microD on Sept 4th. His name is Dr Jeffrey Klein. He works out Of NYU Hospital for Joint and disease in NYC., and has offices in Manhattan and queens. He came highly recommended, and even had the procedure done on himself. He takes the time to talk with you, discuss your condition fully, and he is very thorough. He even says, "if you were my family member this is what I would do". That made me more comfortable knowing he truly cares about his patients. Something I have not seen from other surgeons I visited in my search. I am one week post op and feel great. I am having some toe pain, my nerve was compressed pretty good. I expect this to get better as time goes on. One thing I noticed in the hospital was the amount of antibiotics and steroids that he had ordered for the nurses to administer intravenously to me. One nurse said, "man your doctor doesn't mess around" lol. I do think this made my recovery pain virtually non existent. The staff at NYU was top notch as well. A back brace was delivered to my house from the hospital in case I chose to wear it. I don't find the need for it though, but it was a nice gesture coming to me before hand and giving me detailed instructions. Anyways, good luck with whom you choose and with your surgery.

Last edited by gotchu99; 09-11-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Stormy,
my Dr at HSS is Dr CAmissa... who operated on you? I agree with you on that: Drs at HSS are unbelivable, their knowledge, expertise, the way they treat you and even the way they run tests on you are different.
Dr sent me to talk and have discogram done by PM who I absolutely adored: he spent with me so much time, explained everything even the procedure and the results: if I will find this - this is what we will do, or I don't find this - this is your options. Dr CAmissa works with only 2 PM and if you don't go to see them before the surgery for your discogram - he realy does not trust anybody else's expertise. I love that: they put you on a table only if they absolutely sure that this may benefit your healt issues.
And how are you doing now? How do the handle meds situation? I mean do they prescribe when you ask for or any problems?
I hope you are doing OK.

Elmoj, I hope you will like your Dr and feel very confident about decisions he makes - this is so important. Sorry I never heard about your Dr Mango, but another opinion never hurts, right? Good luck to you

Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

stormy32 HB User

Moldova,

My Dr. is Dr. Cammisa as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use his PM doctors because they wouldn't take my insurance. Going to Dr. Cammisa was already going to cost me a small fortune. I went to a Dr. on Long Island for my discogram and Dr. Cammisa requested all the actual films(he wouldn't take the CD's). I think HSS would have preferred I use their Dr. but I knew I was in good hands with the Dr. I used and it was $10,000 I didn't have to pay. My bills are racking up from my surgery now, but I expected that and decided it was worth it to have the best surgeon. Anyway, I am doing as great as can be expected now at about 10 weeks postop. About the meds, I have a PM doctor on Long Island that I used before and after surgery, so he has been managing my meds. I am currently tapering down on meds, which is no fun, even when done slowly. I am on a lot less meds than before surgery. I haven't started therapy yet, hopefully after my visit with Dr. Cammisa in 2 weeks I will be able to start. Overall I had a great experience with him and in the hospital, there were a few bumps in the road and people with poor attitudes, but the good outweigh the bad. Good luck to you, do you have surgery scheduled yet?

-Stormy

Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Stormy,

thank you for the information. My surgery will be scheduled right after I have my discogram done. I am also afraid of the amount i have to pay. Even though they said they will work some plain with me (Have no idea what it means yet) I am sure it will be a huge amount to pay.
How come I was told Dr Camissa can't do the surgery until he sees the results of discogram and it suppose to be done by his PM. I would rather go to someone who takes my insurance also, but on the other hand I really want to make sure that discogram done right. Second spinal surgery is more risky than the first one and for me even more risky since i have major heart problem and lung too. So if PM confirms i need to go - at least i can be 100% sure that is exactly what i have to do. Or if not much they can do for me at this point - than I know it's true too.
I got so many careless opinions before - now I am afraid to make a mistake again.
I am glad you are doing well - good luck on your recovery... Are you on disability? If yes, who takes care about paperwork in the office?

Old 09-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
(female)

stormy32 HB User

I was told Dr. Camissa prefers you use the HSS dr.'s but it isn't required. I wasn't allowed to schedule my surgery until he read the films from my discogram himself. This unfortunately took almost one month after my disco. I had a lot of trouble with his office when it came to this. They kept telling me my chart and info was in his briefcase for his review and when I would call a week later to see what was going on they said he hadn't looked at it yet. I think if you use his dr.'s this doesn't happen. I almost changed my mind and changed dr.'s because of the trouble I encountered with his office staff, but I'm glad I didn't. I hope you don't run into any of these problems, I know you are probably as anxious as I was to get it all over with and get on with recovery. I decided the skill of the surgeon was much more important than the kindness of his staff. I am on disability and the gentleman that takes care of that is great. His name is Jay. Anyway, good luck with your disco and I hope you have better luck with him getting you your results quickly. No matter what, he is worth it as I think you already know. Especially since it seems that you have a lot of other health problems to consider.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Stormy,

I appreciate the time you took to explain all this to me. I know about the stuff; is in it horrible that any ortho office I know, their stuff is so harsh and careless? But he is definately worth it - I would go through anything just to be able to get consultation with him and a possible surgery.

Did you insurance covered at least something? I know mine suppose to cover 70% out-of-network, but who knows? And what is the rest 30% would be?
I am glad you are doing relatively well... how often you go to see him?
He told me that I will have to be at their reabilitation facilities for 2 weeks after surgery - did you go there?

Do you get to see him or his assistant?

And what if you call with the problem - do they call you back and helpful?

Sorry for all this questions, but I am so tired from dealing with my previous surgeon't office and himself too, that i am scared not to get same thing at this place :-)

Old 09-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
(female)

stormy32 HB User

Moldova,

My insurance did cover 70%, the remaining 30% between the pretesting and anesthesia and x-rays and surgery/hospital stay is at about $50,000 and still adding up. I don't think I should be getting many more bills, most of them are 2nd notices now.

About the rehab facility, I didn't have to stay there. I guess you are going to be having a more extensive surgery, or maybe it's because of age. I'm not sure of your age, or of you are older than me, but I am only 29, so I am relatively young and healthy for this surgery, although I don't feel so young or healthy. I know that the woman in the bed next to me had a fusion too and she had to go to the rehab, but I think she had some other joint problems as well.

I saw Dr. Cammisa 's PA for my first 6 week post-op visit. My next visit, 6 weeks after the last will be with the man himself and then I will return in another 6 weeks(not sure who I will see then).

When you call his office with questions it's not always easy to get an answer and if you do it's not prompt. But, if you have a problem they take care of that promptly. I thought I had an infection post-op because I had a low-grade fever and chills. I called the office and they were willing to have me come right in, but we settled on me going immediately to my PMD for blood work. The nurse from Dr. Camissa's office called my PMD and told them to see me and what bloods they needed. Luckily - no infection!

Don't worry about all the questions, I understand!

Hope this answered some questions for you.

-Stormy

Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Stormy,
thank you again for the infor - so valuable to me.
How do you do pain wise? Do you get any neuropathy pain? Does your meds take care of your pain?
Did you have to pay all at once or they gave you some payment plan, sorry for asking?

I am 52 (only :-) and was told that after extensive surgery I'll have - rehab is a must since they will have to teach me how to walk, get up, etc. in a right way and do PT from the second day I am after the surgery. I would prefer to come home right the way - but my recovery after the first surgery was so tough on my poor husband that I am thinking with the help of rehab I will come back home a bit stronger and it will be somewhat easier on him.

I hope you will start feelling better soon and thanks again for your help.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

Hi Everyone. THanks for your response. I do really like my Dr. but not to thrilled with the hospital. He takes so much time to talk to me as well as my husband's questions too. Each surgeon takes a different approach to things and since fusion is permanant I just want to know that his approach is the right way to go. I'm very happy with him though. It's just that nursing care is important (belive me, I know) and I'm not thrilled with the hospital. The pre-op nurses were great too! You just wonder what is the best choice for you as well as the approach your surgeon takes. The only person that can make the decision is you nad it's so hard. I have little kids too! One child has special needs. I have pain all the time and having a fusion will require me to be out of commission for a long time. I'm not prepared for that!! But I guess we never are. Thanks for listening!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
(female)

stormy32 HB User

Elmo,
I agree we are never ready to make such a HUGH/IMPORTANT decision, but unfortunately it doesn't go away and we have to decide. I think when you are referring to the surgeron approach you mean anterior, posterior, of both??
I chose a Dr. that did the fusion posteriorly. I didn't want an incision in the abdomen, because I always hear how horrible abdominal surgery is and how sometimes the stomach is never right again.(Although I seem to have run into that problem anyway.) Anyway, that was important to me. The only other surgeon I considered wanted to do a 360 fusion, and that was way too much recovery time for me. ANyway, I wish I could make the decision and the situation easier for you. I don't have children yet so my concern was not lifting them after surgery, but conceiving them after fusion. I guess we all have a little difference in our lives that alters how we have to make decisions which suit our family the best. All I can do is wish you luck and tell you to trust your instinct, and hopefully everything should work out. GOOD LUCK!!!

Moldova,

I am doing great pain wise, compared to preop and initally post op. I went into the hospital on lots of oxycontin and vicodin, and still horrible pain. I left the hospital on an excessive amount of oxycontin and oxycodone immediate release(IR), I am on a very slow ween off my meds and it's going well as far as the pain goes. My leg pain(neuro pain) is mostly gone and I have gone off my cymbalta. It creeps up on me here and there and scares the S--T out of me, but it doesn't usually hang around for more than a few hours.
My back pain remains at times, but is so different than preop, so I feel that it will go away with more healing. I am now on a significantly lower amount of meds than before surgery, and with a lot less pain.
I would consider myself a success story as of now I am 80% better than preop. My biggest struggle now is getting off the meds (withdrawl symptoms suck), and I will hopefully be starting PT next week (I hope that doesn't flare anything up), I would have preferred going to rehab after the hospital, if it was offered I would have jumped on it. It's tough to be at home less than a week post-op, both on the patient and the caregiver.

I wish you both the best of luck as you continue on with your decisions and testing and surgeries. I have gotten to a pretty good place and I hope you can get here too. Just remember to follow all your post-op instructions and not to push it too hard!! Don't race through your recovery, or you will end up starting the race all over again.

-Stromy

Last edited by stormy32; 09-23-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Stormy,
thank you very much for the info, it's very kind of you. I am glad you are doing great, this is wonderful.
I wish you all the luck in a future and pain free life!
((( ))) to you

Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

Stormy, Thanks for the info. I hope you continue to do well. My surgeon wants to go anteriorly. And with all the research I have read, it seems to be best because there is better visualization of the disc space. He wants to use titanium plates and screws. He feels using plates allows the spine to be more stable. I really like hime and he takes all the time in the world to talk to you. After my discectomy, he even helped me out of bed and held my hair back while I puked my guts up. (I don't do too well with anesthesia!!). The only reason why I'm seeking a second opinion (as we all should do anyway) is to make sure that I definately need a fusion and to see if anyone else uses this technique. I feel as though I probably need the fusion since I don't have much disc left but another opinion would make me feel better in making this decision. THanks again!

Closed Thread