It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

jshanson HB User
Multi level degenerative cervical disc disease; headaches

I have had 2 MRI's past yr, with DDD C4-5, C5-6 & C6-7, with mild central canal stenosis and moderate disc bulges at C5-6, C6-7...no numbness in arms anymore..been in Physical Therapy for months and was doing great until about 3 -4 weeks ago...started with severe upper neck( occiptial area) muscle spasms causing headaches...
I am seeing a pain management anesthisiologist this coming week, and want to know what anyone else has had done for such a situation.
I do not have pain in neck or numbness so do not think that Epidual injections are 1st option...what else is there that works for the tight muscles in neck that is usually caused from extened periods of looking downwards or up...
the spasms in neck are so bad some days that the neck acutally appears like the head is set on crooked...and masage..stretching, and e-stim and ice do help , but only for short while..
I need thoughts please of what to ask of the pain MD..
Thanks alot,
Jean

Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Multi level degenerative cervical disc disease; headaches

Hi, you might want to try putting moist heating pad over the area. There are ones that are made specifically for the neck & shoulder area which are pretty long; I have one that has a tie so that it stays on. It doesnt cure the spasms, but for me, seems to soothe them somewhat. I've also heard lately that Botox is being used for spasms. I dont really know much about it, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

jshanson HB User
Re: Multi level degenerative cervical disc disease; headaches

Thank you for your advice..
I have been in physical therapy for almost a year with the neck, doing e-stim, heat and ice and massage along with a set of strengthening excersises....some days they are not too bad...and it helps...other days nothing helps...and I do not use any 'drugs"..other than Midrin...

Ice actually works the best for me.. heat can often make it worse..

My real question is what others have gotten from Pain Management...are there other choices than Epidurals injections.. and surgery....??
Thanks,
Jean

Closed Thread