It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

Lynne720 HB User
Itching and burning after surgery.

My bf is now going out of his mind. His back near and on the incision is itching like crazy, also some burning. I checked his back and didn't see anything wrong. It all looks okay to me. He is nervous because of the stapf infection he had last year. He doesn't have a fever..its just been hovering around 99. I'm now waiting for the surgeon to call back hoping that he may be able to prescribe something to stop the itch. Has anyone experienced this?

Lynne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User
Re: Itching and burning after surgery.

Lynn,

I had terrible itching just from the wound healing and the staples themselves. An ice pack helped somewhat. Once the staples were removed and the steri stips they replaced them with fell off, I was able to lightly rub, not itch, the healed incision site. That was the most relief I got. Not much help, I know!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Lynne'
often after the surgery itching is a symptom of healing. And it's true:itch like crazy. I felt like to take a fork or something and just scratch that area... :-)
If you don't see any inflammation, redness, puffines - he is OK i believe.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Ask the dr. if it is okay if he takes benadryl to quiet the itching. If there is no redness, no swelling, no heat, and no leakage, he's fine and it's probably just the healing process.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 09-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Oh yeahhh, it's a big wound that has to heal and it is common to have itching while it's healing. This can happen with any kind of wound. I know my incision site started itching like mad and it was weird b/c I even got hives all over & around mine. But I get hives many times so this didnt surprise me. I was afraid to scratch it too hard, in fear of pushing something apart LOL.
If it looks fine and he feels ok otherwise then most likely it's part of the healing process.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

As it turns out, my bf has a seroma which is normal after several surgeries and the body should absorb it. The dr told us to ice the area and it seems to be soothing so far. And his temp is normal which is great news

Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Glad the ice is helping and the fever is down!

Closed Thread