It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

TripleR HB User
Reoccuring sciatica after laminectomy

14 week ago, I had a laminectomy at L4,L5. Recovery has been pretty good. I went back to work within three weeks (sedentary job) and am up to walking 1/2 hour a day, 1/2 hour on the elleptical machine, some light exercises. After a stumble off a sidewalk, and then a week-long project at work that kept me immobilized in my chair, my left leg below the calf is tingling and burning, the knee is numb, my left hip hurts as it did with sciatica. My doctor told me this wouldn't happen again. I am in agony and anxiety-stricken. What gives?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Reoccuring sciatica after laminectomy

Hi, i'm sorry you're in such pain. I had laminectomies at L3 to L5 last Sept. for central canal stenosis from bone overgrowth. But I keep getting disc bulges & herniations. I was great for about 5 or 6 months after surgery. Then I got unbearable sciatic pain in my left leg & foot. After 3 months, I had a nerve block at L5 and it really helped (so I guess they got the right spot). Then 3 weeks after my nerve block, i got horrible nerve pains into both my hips and groin on both sides. This last 2 to 3 weeks & actually pretty much went away on it's own. I didnt see the doc for this last bout, but I knew I had to be at least one herniation, as per my past experiences.

Before my surgery, I was told my surgery should basically help the claudication pain I had from stenosis, but would not help any arthritis pain or issues from degenerative disc disease. He even told me there's a chance that I might get stenosis in other parts of my spine or even again in the same area down the road. Well, it's been almost a year since my surgery and I already have some new bone overgrowth in some areas. It's getting more so in my facet joints. My doc did explain that after laminectomy, the spine is less stable, so it's more prone to fracture (he told me to be careful due to this), and the surrounding discs & vertebrae will have more stress on them because there's less bone for support; and this can cause more herniations, and more problems with other vertebral levels. If you think about it, it makes sense. So my doc explained all of this before my surgery & made sure I understood that my procedure was basically to relieve my back of legs pains, and it is not meant to help back pain. But I couldnt even walk anymore, so I didnt care, and I am still very glad I finally had the surgery. It did help my most horrible pains and I can walk more normal again.

Another thing that can be causing your nerves to be pinched could be scar tissue from surgery. I found out I have alot of scar tissue, which makes it worse when its around the discs & they herniate. Then they are pushing hard scar tissue into nerves......:::;;faint:::::::

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
(female)

BraNu HB User
Unhappy Re: Reoccuring sciatica after laminectomy

[QUOTE=TripleR;3214545]14 week ago, I had a laminectomy at L4,L5. Recovery has been pretty good. I went back to work within three weeks (sedentary job) and am up to walking 1/2 hour a day, 1/2 hour on the elleptical machine, some light exercises. After a stumble off a sidewalk, and then a week-long project at work that kept me immobilized in my chair, my left leg below the calf is tingling and burning, the knee is numb, my left hip hurts as it did with sciatica. My doctor told me this wouldn't happen again. I am in agony and anxiety-stricken. What gives?[/QUOTE]

Hi There,

I was experiencing excruciating pain shooting down my right leg for almost a year. I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve at L5/S1 and it was recommended that I have surgery (by multiple physicians). I had a laminectomy on August 9, 2007 and as of today I am experiencing the same level of pain in my right leg as I did prior to my surgery---no relief! In addition I am now experiencing unbearable nerve pain in my right ankle and foot. My foot is so sensitive that it hurts without my even moving it! I'm still walking with a cane as I was prior to my surgery, but now I can't walk as far as before with my cane due to the "new" pain in my foot.

According to my physician (whom I saw today), I should be more active than I am by this time and he feels that I am being a baby. I've dealt with the pain of RA for the past 13 years so I am no stranger to pain and I don't consider myself a baby----I'm REALLY hurting.

I plan on making some phone calls on Monday to get a second opinion, but I'm interested in knowing if any of you have experienced the same and have any advice for me?????

Last edited by BraNu; 09-21-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
(male)

fordfan HB User
Re: Reoccuring sciatica after laminectomy

hi sorry to hear about ur symtols but i have the same sort of problems i had l5-s1 laminectomy over 5 weeks ago all pain a back and left side through my buttock down to foot numbness but now its all in my right buttock and down right leg going out of my mind so im with u there any suggestion

Closed Thread