It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

deltadog32 HB User
Angry I Hate Workman's Comp.

I HATE WORKMAN'S COMP. I NEED SURGERY AS YOU ALL KNOW TO FUSE MY L5-S1. THE WORMAN'S COMP GROUP IS SAYING THAT IF I DON'T GO THROUGH THEIR DOC'S TO PROVE I NEED SURGERY THAT I WILL GO WITHOUT MY DISABLILITY PAY WHILE OF WORK FOR A WORK INJURY. THEY HAVE RECEIVED EVER DR APPT PAPER AND TEST I HAVE HAD SINCE DAY ONE. THEY PICKED AND REALLY SH---- TIME TO DECIDE THAT I MAY BE FILING A FALSE WORK COMP CASE. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH EVERY DEMEANING AND PAINFUL PROCEDURE LEADING UP TO SURGERY AND NOW THEY PULL THIS. AND THEY WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE NOT LOYAL TO THE COMPANIES THEY WORK FOR ANYMORE. PEOPLE WOULD BE MORE LOYAL IF THEY KNEW THAT THE COMPANY THEY WORKED FOR WOULD GO TO BAT FOR THEM WHEN THEY WERE INJURED [B][U]ON[/U][/B]THE JOB! I WANT TO MAKE THOSE GUYS CARRY AROUND WHAT I DO ON A DAILY BASIS. LET THEM LOSE SLEEP OVER PAIN. LET THEM NOT BE ABLE TO DO THE THINGS THEY LOVE.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: I Hate Workman's Comp.

[SIZE="3"]True , very true ! W/c don't give a crap about you it's their money their worried about. Been on comp since 2003. Have you checked out your state laws ? Every states laws are different so I couldn't tell you what to do.. I fell so behind on Bills it isn't funny. They owe me $2,550.00 just for gas and mileage that I been waiting on for over a month ,took em to court to get it , they said they would pay but haven't got it yet ..

I agree , I don't do nuttin I used to because of my back injury. It's really frustrating when you have to do something but can't...I have to beg my family or friend(s) to help me and their getting tired of helping me I know , but what are we to do? Being of middle to lower class I can't afford to pay anyone to do the things I used to do...I bet you feel the same way.

Do you have a lawyer ? If not get one right away. My attorney been so much help. I didn't know I was entitled to what I should be getting thanks to my attorney I get whats mine. Another thing you may want to do right away , apply for Social Security Disabilty. You can and should be able to get it..I applied just this year cause I didn't know I may be elible for money..I'm still waiting on an answer , I pray I get it to help with bills and my kid's
Their very expensive . Good luck with comp..And your spine.

Go to their Dr. and see what he say's ..[/SIZE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
(male)

deltadog32 HB User

THANKS SHAWLEY. I do have a lawyer that was helping me with a work comp injury when I got this one. I was a direct care staff in a mental hospital and tore my shoulder up and had to have two surgeries. I was 6 weeks post op on my second surgery when I got rear ended at work and caused my current injury. My girlfriend says she'll stay by me and doesn't mind helping me any time I need it. I just don't want to be a burden to anyone. I don't truly know what I'm eligible for by my state laws but that's what I pay my lawyer for. He's good and has helped a lot. All I've had to do is be in the right place when he said to be there. It's been a load off but I've had to miss a lot of work due to this injury from appts to leaving work early for therapy. I just want this all to be over so I can get my surgery. I'm not really all about the money they owe me. I just want my quality of life to be better.

The Following User Says Thank You to deltadog32 For This Useful Post:
TRAYNOR (06-29-2012)
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
(male)

cashmoni HB User
Angry Re: I Hate Workman's Comp.

Sorry to hear about your delimmas,

I also am despising this system too.I've been going to thier doctors and not being told the full extent of my injuries and being denied the oppertunity to see a doctor of my choice.They refuse to give me a referral to see one of my choice to get a second opinion,all other doctors i choose want this to gaurantee payment and w/c won't give one.they've set up an appt w/another doctor for me in thier network.

I have found out through a friends chiro that my l5/sI is infact a herniation,not just a slight bulge and he also ask her how old i was,she couldn't remember and ask what he thought and he said he'd guess my age would be 55y/o by the shape of my spine.....I'm only 40.Sure don't make me feel good.Now i really need an independant opinion and hopefully i will learn what the anullar tear i have is,still dont know the full scope of this.

I now have absolutely no reservation about being loyal and talking to an attorney.They can also stick thier nurse case mngr where the sun don't shine either.

Sry for venting on your thread but i just learned of this and i'm mad as hell .

and shawleys absolutley correct,these dam insurance companies want thier cake and to eat it to.If the dam medical industry wasn't so greedy and allowed medical treatment to be affordable,we wouldnt need the dam insurance companies to begin with.Not one of these ppl have ever or ever could do what i do on a daily basis(or a weekend for that matter),yet they can tell me to do it while i'm broken and they know it.I swear if one of thier doctors move me in the wrong way again or talks down to me they're gonna need a lawyer to get me to pay for "thier" dental bill.I'm done being nice,it's time I share my pain.

Well,good thing i have been adjusting to thier narcotics they've prescribed me,i can take some so i calm down and get my 3hrs of sleep,woohoo.

hey,keep us posted on how this turns out,I hope well...i'll include ya in my prayers tonite

CM

Old 09-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
(female)

mattiemay HB User

the problem is that even if you check the laws they are almost ALL on the insurance company and employers side and against the injured worker. the insurance companies pretty much RUN the system, so of course it is in their favor. even if you go to court and win (at least in penna.) the insurance company does not even have to appeal...they simply find another reason to take you back to court by filing a whole new case..as they nickel and dime you and harass you they hope that you will finally give up as not being worth the aggravation...
i worked for my employer (hospital) for 20 years..all the overtime..skipped meals and breaks, busting my butt (and unfortunately my BACK) now they have no loyalty towards me whatsoever. I am in constant pain from disc degeneration, bulging discs, and several annular tears...the result of all those years of lifting and turning sometimes 300 lb pts. The hospital tries to present a caring face to the public..while beating its workers down. I have always done my very best for patients under my care..and now when i am the one who needs help, the hospital turns its back on me.
Our legislators should stop their support of the insurance companies and start helping the people who really need it.
for CM...don't let them belittle your pain level...my "panel" physician (chosen by my employer) and my physical therapist (its hard when your employer is the community's hospital since your care is then provided by people who are dependent on them for employment..therefore creating a "conflict of interest") any way..my therapist said my back problems "werent bad at all". Annular tears are very painful...MRI's actually do a poor job of showing the true extent of them. Again, even though my employer is VERY focused on how we relieve our patients pain...they completely disregard the pain of their own employees. Because my area is so stressful to the human body (we have absolutely no mechanical lifting devices on our floor..it is all done by the nurses and aides) there are presently about 5 people who are involved in workplace injuries of a serious nature right now. Yet nothing has changed as far as instituting safe lifting practices...and I don't mean teaching proper body mechanics either! The human body is simply not built for having to routinely lift so much weight on a routine basis. I was told by a former therapist that my body mechanics were exceptional. Anyway, sorry to go off track...I agree Workers Compensation is the worst!!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

To the group,

I happen to currently work for a Workerscompensation company. It is all that they sell is workers comp. AS a Customer Service Rep I have learned several things as I talk to you people all the time 8 to 8 1/2 hours each day.

If you do deide to get a lawyer as many do - you are no longer allowed to talk to your adjuster. THAT IS THE LAW...

I at least can relate to US; I tell them a readers digest story of my surgery and things are a little better for them. Why do I tell them some things - so that they can trust me and I know what we are all going through. They at least respect me... I find this job very rewarding in this aspect; some co-workers tell me that it is just a voice on the ohter end. Let them have something happen to them and so how they would feel about the situations where people cannot work and the bills pile up and up and up....

I have been very fortunate as my injurys were well documented while serving in the ARMY. Uncle sugar has and is taking care of me fairly well for the most part. I wish that my disability was 0% instead of 100% as a reslut of the injurys that I sustained after 22 years of pounding my body...

Roy

Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
(female)

mewcamaro HB User

My situation is also a WC case from 2004 in NJ. I have been pretty lucky with all that they have done, they are slow to approve but I've had 2 surgeries, therapy, epidural injections, trigger point injection, acupuncture you name it and I probably had it. Finally I had a disectomy and it showed L4 L5 L5 S1 bad. Had an ALIF in hospital for 11 days and a rehab center for 27 days. I'm still in extreme pain on the left side so I'm having an MRI on Monday. I also have a lawyer, so not sure if its because I have the lawyer that the WC is approving everthing or thats how it is in NJ. I also know that your adjustor will absolutely not talk to you only your lawyer, so anytime I have a problem I just call my lawyer and its taken care of.

mew

Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
(male)

deltadog32 HB User

Well, I went to a lawyer first about my back injury then he contacted w/c and they really didn't have a choice. I have 2 lawsuits going now for the 2 work related injuries. The first injury I had to go to their chosen doctor and it ended up with a second tear because in the dr's own personal med notes he said he only made a quick fix to get rid of me. Then he also said after finding out that my shoulder was torn again (during physical therapy) that I had a second tear and that he did a second surgery and fixed it(that's obviously bull stuff). He then proceeded to say I had a life-time 20 lb weight restriction and d/c'd me. Being only 30 I said this was unacceptable and my work did right by me and sent me to another dr and the dr took one look at the way i stood and said that i needed surgery on it without even touching me. When you have a tear in the Glenoid Labrum your shoulder drops about 6 inches and it's visible. When I was recovering from this surgery with my arm in a sling is when I was injured in my car accident while working. You'd think the company would be kissing my butt instead of fighting me because I was made to continue this job duty when I was driving with my arm in a sling and on narcotics. That is making an unsafe work environment but they really don't care and that's why my lawyer is telling them where they can stick their opinions. I have been through 3 depositions on this accident where I have been asked the same exact questions each time and I think they are trying to catch me in some kind of lie. It's hard to lie about physical proof.

Anyway thank you all for your words of agreement and support.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
(male)

cashmoni HB User

I guess my biggest concern is that I'm 40y/o and have the spine of a 55y/o...this isn't gonna go away and they know it...so what get rid of the liability right.It explains thier being coy with me and trying to corral me into thier doctors.

Roy,
no offense but knowing this has really caused me to be careful in my posts,I'm sure you aren't the only w/c employee here.I personally could not work for someone knowing how many lives they ruin,i guess it's my own personal ethics.

Mattiemay,
I feel for you and know the medical field,of all places are very hard and demanding on thier employees.If you can help me with more info on these annular tears I'd be forever grateful.I do know there are different types and there are nerves in the fibrosis,but thats it.I dont know which I have but when i look at effected discs(3/4 disiccation) on my t2 wieghted mri I see a black line that runs in the middle from anterior to posterior on 1 and the other is 1/2 way..from ant to post.could that be the tears?

well, this is an informative thread none the less,
CM

Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I'm going through something similar with my elbow. I'm not even working anymore. I took a disability retirement because of my back and narcolepsy. In 2005 my elbow started to hurt. It was considered occupational because it was from typing with my elbow resting on the side desk. Work said it was not work related so I got a lawyer. It turned out the tendon is torn. My other elbow is probably also torn. Although work said it was not work related they notified the insurance company. So now no one will pay for the surgery. It is going on 3 years and no one seems to care. Just saw their dr. (quack). A neurologist with an empty waiting room. That says it all. My elbow no way hurts like that back so I can suck it up and wait. Believe me, I know what the back pain feels like. Luckily I was able to have the back surgery before the claim was filed or I would be in the same boat. They atty added the back and neck in my suit. Have herniated dics in the neck too. Good luck with comp.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
(male)

deltadog32 HB User

I would like to clarify what I said about Workman's Comp. It's not the adjusters that I have a problem with. It's the lawyers from that specific company that have come in and deny medical care because they think I'm filing a false claim when they have had every Dr's note and MRI and CT scan, and X-Ray, and shot.

I have no problem with the customer service groups of W/C Roy and I hope that I have not offended you. If I have then I apologize. It was not my intent to offend anyone. I am just upset and frustrated because this injury that I did get while working has ruined my quality of life. I can't pick up my nieces and nephews, I can't play golf, I can't go to the rest room. I can't exercise. I'm not faking and would never do that.

It has pretty much ended my military career. That is something that means more to me than most people will know. Roy I know you know what pride in being a veteran means and now I won't be able to retire from the Army like I wanted to because of this injury. I've been in combat and I have had military injuries and they treated me with more respect than I have received from my employer's lawyers.

So once again I am mad at the lawyer's of my W/C company not the people who work there.

Roy I apologize if I offended you. I come here for help and advice. HOOOAH!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

deltadog,

You have not offended me in any way...

I totally agree with what you have said; I was very fortunate to be able to stay together long enough to retire. IT was a lot of mind over matter. I did not mind the pain and it did not matter a lot of the time. It was give me
MOTRIN and let me carry on. Yes, I made sure that it was very well documented......

If I thought that in less than 4 years after retirement that I would be rated 100% disabled I would have laughed and laughed and said no way...

But that has been the effect of the " ride that I rode. " No regrets either.
I would do it again in a heart beat.

After being responsible for property books over 40 million and having to listen to someone about how tough the 20 yr olds have it and have them as a supervisor is a slice of humble pie. I would not do this and that. I just sit back and think if they only knew the things that I have been trained on / with and they are still wet behind the ears and have so much more to learn...

Best of luck and no problems here on my side...

Roy

Closed Thread