It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
(male)

bass11 HB User
severe calf cramps from sciatica

what do you do for cramps in your calf muscle and are ther any exercises to help restore muscle in your leg I got pretty good bit of atrophyalso. does neurotin help with cramps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Re: severe calf cramps from sciatica

Please, i would like to know this also?
Monkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi! I can't really answer your questions on getting the calf cramps from sciatica, but, I found out I have a herniated disc in my lower back, and was told that can cause leg cramps, as well as pain and discomfort in the legs. I was having the calf cramps for about the past month or so, and my doctor perscribed Quinine for it. I only took one now and then when I had severe cramps..at night when I had to jump out of bed and walk around to get rid of them. It did help, but I don't like to take it too often. I also bought some over the counter natural leg cramp medication, and take that now and then, when needed.

I had an epidural shot in my lower back two days ago, a steroid injection, and found that my legs do feel better...not so crampy at night when I move or stretch...so I am hoping that shot helped. We'll see! I was also told to drink lots and lots of water! I don't know anything about neurotin, however.

Hope you find some relief! Those cramps are terrible!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You might try:

*icy hot or bengay and massage it in.
*hot tub/bath
*Magnesium with vitamin D
*ivory soap under your bed sheets under the leg (wives tale but does work)
*drink orange juice
*drink a tonic water
*get a bananna

Can you tell I have had these? Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

They also told me to try capascin which is a topical cream you can buy at the pharmacy. It has red pepper in it. BUT be careful, I put way to much on and severley regretted it.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

MoLu HB User

I've had horrible daily leg cramps for years. Nothing ever seemed to help. Then more back problems started in so had to go to the dr for a dx and was prescribed Lyrica for the burning pain. After several adjustments to the dosage it has really helped my burning pain and low and behold my leg cramps have gone away. It was a wonderful and unexpected surprise.
Martha

Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Make sure the leg cramps can't be something else either. Low Postassium, low B12 or low Vitamin K (I think). I have horrible pain down my calf but not cramps. I do get a cramp in two of my toes all the time though. Man it hurts. I do have Low Potassium and B12 though.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Thank you for asking this question. I too suffer from this in my right leg. My doc upped my skelaxix which helps a little but makes you sleep longer. It doesn't help as well as I would like but if I don't take it, it is quite a bit worse. It gets so bad that my ankle will either curl in our our (very painful) in a spasm while sleeping.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I can tell you about a good calf stretch that my PT gave me: You get a small block of wood or anything thats about at least 6 inches wide and a couple inches high. It might be better if it slopes up in the front. For example, you put your left leg & foot in front of you out a bit and put your other leg back a bit. You put the block or whatever it is in front of your right leg that's back. You put your heel on the ground and the rest of your foot rests on the block. Then you bend and lean into your LEFT leg while stretching the left one that has the foot on the block. And then you just rotate doing this between each foot. OMG does that ever stretch the calves and lower legs. Figures I cant even do it now due to my bad ankle, but this really helps to stretch the lower legs. OF course I don't know if I explained this stretch good enough for anyone to figure out, LOL...but I hope so. Of course I dont know what your cramps are due to, so if it's something other than just tight muscles, it might not do any good.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

The mention of the Ivory soap for leg cramps is quite interesting! My son just told me he heard the same thing on a medical program. Where exactly do you put the soap.....do you tuck it under your knees, and if so, do you have to put one bar under each knee? Sometimes these old time remedies work very well, so I am going to buy a few bars of Ivory soap for sure.

Thanks!

Closed Thread