It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

leigh53 HB User
Talking epidural steroid injections--side effects

I have read several postings about the side effects of epidural steroid injections. After three injections, I have indeed experienced an inordinate amount of uncomfortable fluid retention. I have to urinate frequently, especially at night, and I have heartburn almost constantly. The injections have saved my life, though--after suffering with degenerative disc disease and the subsequent nerve pain, the injections were a last resort. The pain relief is great and I hope the fluid retention will begin to abate within a couple more weeks. It gave me an excuse to buy some comfortable clothes, though! I hope this will help others who have been experiencing the same difficulties after steroid injections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: epidural steroid injections--side effects

I want to eat and eat and eat and eat!!! I also have hot flashes from them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

I had an epidural steroid injection in the lumbar region last Monday. It did give me a bad headache that evening, and I had an anxious feeling throughout the night, as well as a flushed look in the cheek area the next day. I felt real good for about 4 days, and then, wham...my lower back pain came back full force and has been there ever since. Also noticed my neck (have bad disc's there as well), is hurting again, and am getting headaches again. I had such hopes this injection would help my herniated disc in my back; I don't know if I should get another injection or not at this point? I haven't noticed any fluid retention....I always am up 3 times a night running to the bathroom in general. I do get some hot flashes, though, but never attributed them to the steroid shot....maybe that is the reason! Good to hear, Leigh, that you did find some relief from the shots.

Thanks, Leigh and 123diet for your hints on the shots!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

If that headache continues, call your doctor. It could be due to the injection and you could be having a spinal headache.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I've been having injections for several years. Trigger point, epidural and facet joint been there done that. I used to think women were making a big deal out of hot flashes, until I started getting them. It's no fun having your ankles sweat! Lady friends get a big kick out of me sweating and turning red while they are comfortable. The hungries are a pain too when one does his own cooking. Fred

Old 09-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Oh yes...the hot flashes!! Or my Gyn says.....they are power surges!! Makes it sound so strong and beneficial doesn't it??
I was on 3 rounds of oral steroids before my surgery...I was pretty "crazy" coming off the last round! I had my first injection last Wed. and hurt like h---Thursday and Friday, better Sat, great on Sunday, not as good yesterday and today...well, it's almost as bad as before surgery. Needless to say I'm fairly depressed today. Anyone have better luck with the second and third injections?

Last edited by deb53; 09-25-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Yes, indeed, those steroids can cause all sorts of side effects, but the good thing with the injections is it's not long term, so the side effects will wear off in time once the meds wear off. I get major bloat, moon face, and weight gain. It seems to take me many months after an injection for the weight to come off & moon face to go away. It really stunk when I was on oral prednisone for 8 months..then a while after I tapered off, I started getting epidurals. It took forever for the bloat and my 3 chins to go away. Luckily, I never had any other side effects from steroids other than this. And believe it or not, it actually "cured" my urinary issues while I was on it. I only went a few a times a day, and never at night, which was sooo relieving b/c I got great sleep.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

parcarp HB User

I had two rounds of injections after a oral course, and the three quick together made me a mess! Yeah, pain after, but the hot flashes yes, the anxiety yes, the feeling that I wanted to throw everyone in the house OUT yes, little things would tick me off, but then there was the period I had for almost 2 1/2 months straight! I had a 4 day break in between and was told that it was the stupid steroids... I was also told that 2 weeks after an injection was the "time limit" on the steroid being in the body.....I am here to tell you that I went 3 1/2 weeks before I finally stopped trying to bite everyone in the house! I think that was the worse part.....the "mean-ness", you just have to bite your tongue, go for a walk, treat yourself to an ice cream, hide in the closet, whatever, side effects do go away, but it is pretty much dependent upon the person, not the text book!

Paulette

Closed Thread