It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User
Still Seeking Answers On Back/Chest Pain

Hi All. Although I think I might have come to a conclusion concerning my back and chest pain, I know there are those that are still having trouble coming up with a diagnose, and I would like to continue getting input and advice concerning our issues. I believe all my problems are definitely coming from my herniated disc in the lumbar region, complicated by the nasty bad disc's in my neck. However, I still have not found a good solution as to what to do...still looking for answers on that, and dreading having surgery.

I hope everyone will join in again so that we all might continue exchanging ideas and suggestions. I value everyone's input.

Thanks all!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Still Seeking Answers On Back/Chest Pain

Chab, have any of your docs. confirmed that those issues are causing your problems? Went to Rehab. doc, the guy has real issues, second time he raised his voice to me.Totally shocked me speechless. He said the insurance will not approve any further tests, so has to go off of the little that showed up in the MRI of the shoulder area. This worrys me because he wanted the pec. region done in the chest & orgianally swore the problem was in the back & directly in or effecting the scapula area, he said forget it, because he had to go through so much just to get the shoulder done, I am starting a new thread in regards to this visit, because it has me so blown away. the tendons & such are all inflammed but left with on known origin of the cause because other areas are involved with no further testing to be done. Upper back around scapula were killing me after the visit this morning, got injection into area he felt was most inflamed, about went through the roof. Strange immediatly folllowing injection there was such pain going around the back, boy did it hurt. Strange thing is that I have pain around lower rib area going around to back, like a constant stitch in my side. very painful, never had A big problem there before. It occured immediatly after injection into muscle in shoulder/chest area. Won't go into all of visit, that had me so upset I want to see if anyone else experianced this type of deal. So the only thing I have learned is one area can cause other to act up through inflammation, the problem can be in an area where there may not be alot of pain but send pain into other/or surrounding areas strictly due to all the inflammation on the nerves, tendons, muscles ect.....Not a whole lot but thought I would put it down. I will now have to go through injections at random depending on area he feels is most inflammed (for now) if I continue with him. Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammi, I did find your other post, and responded to it. Yes, my neurologist said today (had an injection for my neck), that my herniated disc in the lumbar region is probably causing all the pain, burning, etc., that I have been having over the past 6 months. He said disc's can cause all kinds of pain, inflammation, etc., which radiates to different parts of the body because of the nerves. So, your right in saying that whatever problem it might be...it does affect the nerves, tendons, muscles, etc. Today my lower back didn't feel too bad, but after the shot in the neck, when I got home I had that stitch in the side thing going on as well as aching there. So...go figure....it's like a puzzle; don't know where your going to hurt next....different every day. But, after the steroid shot I had two weeks ago in lower back, I do find that my legs aren't hurting and I haven't had any leg cramps at night! Are you sure you don't have any neck issues going on? Since the tests you have had done hasn't shown much, I was just wondering how your neck is? I think you can get pain in the arm, back area, etc. from neck issues. Just a thought.

Hope you get those insurance problems straightened out. Call them!

Hope you feel better...get those ice packs out!!

Judy

Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chab, I have had doctors suggest that the problem is coming from the neck, scapula, shoulder, chest....So go figure. I am at a lose here. The pt definantly felt like it was coming from the neck, but he could not get the inflammation down in the chest & upper back area, that is why he stopped. I feel like I will have to start all over again, this doc. says he will not even bother with anymore tests at all. I don't feel I can go back to him, it is bad enough to have this pain but to be treated so poorly on top of it all is something I cannot deal with. If I had to describe him in one word it would be bully. My husband is digging his heals in about not going back to this guy. I am trying hard not to give up. I am glad you have some answers, it must feel better knowing & not being in the dark. I hope you get relief @ least I can be happy for you, & it gives me alittle hope. Sammy

Old 10-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, I feel so bad for you. I can't believe the doctors can't find out what exactly is going on with you. I can see what a quandry you are in, not wanting to go back to that bully doctor, and not knowing where to turn next. What kind of doctor is the "bully" doctor? He doesn't seem to be very qualified...or interested in your case, if he doesn't want to order any more tests to find out what is wrong. Do you have to have a referral from your primary care doctor to go see someone else? My insurance lets me pick who I want to go to, so I am lucky in that. If I don't like someone, I can easily make an appointment on my own to go see somebody else. I wonder of you have a combination of both neck problems and back problems like I do...which can definitely cause inflammation all over! Talk to your pcp and let him know all the trouble your having; hopefully he can send you to someone more qualified and interested in helping you.

I had that shot yesterday for my neck and felt good until I went to bed....then, wow, I developed a grand headache that kept me up all night! I had the same kind of headache when I had the steroid shot for my back two weeks ago. Feel better today, but I guess now I am going to have to put up with these headaches if I want to continue with the shots. If it isn't on thing, it's another!!

Good luck, keep fighting to get someone to help you!

Judy

Old 10-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chab, responded on the other post to you also, but I am wondering to about where the problem really is, I got alot of range of motion yesturday, so had to be from the injection, pain still there but controllabe with pain meds. I did not even have to ice it yesturday, that is the first day in months. I am bit more sore today, but did alot of work, go excited about being able to move around. I will be more careful today. I don't know what the guys problem is but I can't deal with him. I don't think after reading the other posts he cared about how I felt. I am hearing alot that makes me wonder why he did not prepare me more for that injection, that is not a fun area to have it in, not that any area is fun. I had a headache after to, not sure if it was from the injection or just the stress of trying to breathe. I will have to get them if they help, but I am still concerned about where the real problem is, the chest area felt better along with the shoulder, but the back scapula area hurts this morning, I am praying this injection lasts at least long enough to get into someone else, I will look into it today. I am to scared of this guy. I hope my primary understands, he is kind of new to me also. This guy is a rehab. doc & should be used to giving plenty of injections,does not mean he is good, but I can't believe he was so nasty, then again my friends like to say I always expect only the good in people, this showed me. Wish me luck, I think I will need it. Sammy

Old 10-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi....The doctor I go to for my shots is an neurologist, and the other one I tried a few weeks ago for the lumbar shot was also a neurologist. I was just wondering what is a "rehab" doctor? I think of a rehab doctor as one that helps a person do exercises after injuries, surgeries, etc. Is the rehab guy trained and qualified to do these injections? I am just curious.....not sure what exactly a rehab guy is able to do. All I know is he needs more training in his bedside manner and how to treat people! Oh, be careful, Sammy, don't do like I did and overdo it after your shot. I did that after my lumbar shot, and ended up paying for it. I felt great for about 4 days and cleaned, and did all kinds of no no things, and on the 5th day it hit me bad. So, take it easy!! If this first shot helped you feel a little bit better, then the 2nd one should help you more. I think the headache you had was probably from the shot...seems like they go together from my experience. And yes, I think you would feel a lot better if you could find out exactly where your problem is coming from....maybe a new doc could help you on that as well. Hope you can find one!

Hang in there!!

Judy

Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chab, your not the first to ask that about a rehab. doc, they do many things, they are Physiatrists, specialiazing in musculosketetal problems, test such as EMG's & so on. Actually I believe they do alot to injections. My luck to get a doc. who is not a happy camper. I went to primary care office, explained to them, Have bronchitis, cough not helping this problem, they are going to look into another doc. for me. Has to be someone who can prescribe pain meds & do injections.They do not have the notes from him from mondays visit yet. I asked if I could get the next injec. there, but they won't do that area. Also said another doc. opinion would not hurt, suppose to calling me with names. Believe it or not she said go back on monday because this cough is going to hinder the injection & I will not be able to get into someone else for awhile, but to take a valium to deal with this guy & relax the mucsles before the injection, also take someone with me. She also said the painful breathing after the injection is not normal & explain to this guy. wow that should be fun. I swear if I was not so afraid of the pain coming back full blown & losing my range of motion I would wait. I have alittle med. training I know what he did was way out of line. Maybe I should take my big cross off the wall with me or a clove of garlic? (ha), as long as I get relief I'll be happy. I am sweating just thinking about going back. Of course I worked like crazy the day after, could move my arm, but bronchitis slowed me back down. I did tell myself to not get excited & over do. Hard to do. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-05-2007 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy..here's a thought....do you think maybe the bronchitis had something to do with the breathing problem you had after getting the shot? Like maybe the steroid aggrevated the bronchitis or something? I have had bronchitis, and just a little trouble breathing due to the congestion in the chest, although nothing major with breathing. I have been thinking about you so much and I keep rolling ideas around in my mind; just trying to help figure out the breathing thing! Ok, now I understand better what a rehab doctor is..thanks! From what you said, they certainly are qualified. Just your luck you got a nasty one. I also was wondering if you might be like me.....perhaps you have two different issues going on. I have the degenerating disc's in the neck, and also the herniated disc in my lower back area. Being that your pain radiates to so many different areas (chest, scapula area, etc.,) maybe you have two different problems like I do. Since your MRI wasn't too conclusive, you just might have two different areas causing you trouble. Again, just a thought!

Take that cross, the garlic, and somebody with you on Monday! Be prepared to speak your mind if you have to! I hope you have a better experience on Monday, and am going to be anxious to hear what transpired. Keep in mind that you did feel better after the first shot, and so the 2nd shot should help even more. Good luck and I'll be thinking about you.

Judy

Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

chab,doc. appointment went ok, no yelling this time. also no injection, said it would be kind of a waste with this bronchitis & cough. There is this area in the chest (pectoral mucsle) that he believes has been injured. The tendons in the shoulder & scapula are inflammed & nerves & all that good stuff being interfered with. Sent me back to PT, the PT said I am majorly infammed all the way up to collar bone & down past scapula. The swelling in the back region is pushing the scapula up towards the shoulder & the inflammation is interferring with my ability to inhale properly on the left side,the lung does not expand like the right, he said can't even see the upper ribs when I take a breathe in vs. the right side due to the inflammation. Shoulder area same, all inflammed, he was actually shocked at how much inflammation there is. Put my arm back in a sling, said does not even want the weight of the arm on the scapula/shoulder area. he has only seen 2 to 3 people with this kind of thing going on, said it is extemely rare, doc said the same very rare to find someone with that area injured. I am back in major pain, I can get another injection next monday. I am worried how long will it help. Last one only helped for one week. That scares me. I was in total muscle spasm when I got to pt yesturday. I am a mess, I have this very rare problem, a dual personality doc. & a confused & shocked pt. It has got to get better. What do you think about the injection? Could the second one last longer? Sammy

Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, I am glad to hear the doctor didn't give you a hard time on Monday. Wow, no wonder you are in so much pain with all that going on. But, now I see why you were having so much trouble breathing, and also so much swelling going on. I get a better picture of what is happening now, and it's about time somebody explained it all to you. Now, the thing is finding out what to do about the whole thing; there has to be some kind of solution to at least diminish some of that inflammation and pain. I know you have tried so many things so far, but gees, there has to be some answer somewhere. I don't have half the problems you do, and I know the pain I am in is terrible, so I really do sympathize with you. I got this thing in the mail concerning a popular type of plant (usually used for burns) that is offered in pill form. It is supposed to help with inflammation, so I am going to order some. I will let you know if it helps me at all. As far as getting the next shot, I was also wondering if I should have the 2nd one. I had that bad headache and flare up from the first one, and I know you had the breathing problem, so I don't know what to say to you about that. I know you had a better range of motion for a few days, so maybe the 2nd shot would do something more. I don't think the side effects could be any worse than having the first one.

Maybe it would be a good idea to go for the 2nd one, and then if that doesn't help much, you could forget about the third one. I think that is what I am going to do. I have been posting on the Spinal Disorder Board about my neck problem, and read some of your posts there. It's a good site like this one.

Hope you get some rest soon; I was up half the night last night. I take two ice packs to bed now; one for the back and one for the neck. I also have been using my TENS machine and that helps me get back to sleep. You might ask your doc about one of them....they seem to help soothe the pain somewhat.

Take care, Sammy.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

chab, I am worried about pt helping me, the pt was hoping I would feel relief after first visit, nothing. My back under the scapula has been really hurting. I know what your saying I take ice packs to bed everynight. I use a big sqaure one & put it behind me, & a small one in the front. It is the most relief I get. I dont know what I would do without them. I thought about the tens unit in the past as pt progresses I will inquire. I hope the pills work for you. I feel I have no choice but to try second injection, I know they can only do so many a year so don't know if this one does not last. Big decisions, How much relief did you get from the first one & how long did it last? I can't wait to get a bra on again, I can't imagine putting one on now. This problem they think I have is so rare I wonder how many people have actually had or have it & get misdiagnosed. Took me over 2 yrs, if this is indeed what is wrong. Really makes you wonder. It can really mimic cardiac problems. When I find out alittle more about it I will post some threads in hopes it may help someone else. Sammy

Old 10-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy, Lost touch with you, and wondering if you did go for the 2nd injection? They can do 3 injections a year, so I hear. But, I actually think I have had more that that in the past year. It seems like that, anyway! Yes, your case is very unusual, unfortunately. When I first started having the injections last year, they did seem to help for quite awhile. But, now that I am thinking about it....I started out with what they call "trigger point injections"...had two of those spaced about a month apart. Then I had one injection about three months ater that in the middle back area. That is when I developed the burning/ aching sensation under the breast area and the right side. After that one, I did feel better for quite awhile as far as those symptoms. Then, recently is when I had the lower back pain (herniated disc), and I had the steroid injection in the lumbar region. That was when I tried a new doctor. That one didn't help vey much for my lower back problem. After that, I went back to my old doc (neuroligist), and had an injection in the neck area. I was told I can have two more of them, if needed. So, I am confused at this point as to how many injections I have had in all.....can't remember anymore. Hope the neurologist is keeping count!

But, I think you might like the TENS unit. It does relax you and helps ease some of the pain. I put mine on right away when I know I am going to have a restless night. I turn it off and on all night! You can get one on the web; if you get one from the doctor, they are usually vey expensive. Mine was quite reasonable and I am glad I got it.

Let me know if you had the second shot and how you were afterwards.

Keep you chin up!

Judy

Old 10-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

chab, boy I am glad you posted. No second injection due to bronchitis, doc. said coughing would hinder the effects of injection, go into see doc. monday morning. Pt does not want me to get injection, says it is a bandaide & masks the problem, but I am afraid not to try, if this pain gets out of control There is no relief. I can even accidently aggravate it in my sleep. Can't win at times. As far as injections go they are new to me, but if I understand correctly you can only have so many done in the exact location because it can kill the tissue, but I'm not sure if that applies to all types of injections. That is agood question. Sounds like you have had your share. Are they painful for you to get? I have to ask the doc. about the injection (hope he is in a good mood). He will be out of town after this week so it is important I make the right decision. The pt does not have to go through this pain so how can he possably understand. He does try hard to get the inflammation down, he can visably see it, boy does it hurt when he works on it. I had a heck of a headache after last visit, coming right from the neck. Him & I are going to have aliittle talk about that. I have heard it is less painful & heals alot faster to out right break bones then deal with this problem. Great! I am trying to be patient, hard to do, I am not allowed to use left side at all, that is really hard. Wish me luck with next injection, I am nervous (if he even gives me one), what is your opinion on what the pt said about getting the injection? Talk to you soon & hope you are doing well, I will ask about the tens unit as I progress in therapy, he does not even use one at this time,per docs orders. I have heard others say they get relief from them, so I may ask more about where to get one. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 10-14-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy, Haven't been here for a few days, so just catching up with your posts. I read the one about your pt doc and so glad to hear he finally decided to be a human being and treat you like one, too! Somebody must have spread the word about how he was treating you! Good.....glad he wised up and hope he stays that way. Now, was it this Monday that you were to have the 2nd injection? DId you have it? And, if so, how are you feeling? I think it is a rule that you can only have three injections in the same area. All those injections I mentioned were spaced out from last year to this year, and in different areas ...middle back area and upper back at the base of the neck. This year I had one in the lumbar region and one in the upper neck. I was told I can have two more in the upper neck area. I am not good at using the proper names of all these areas! But, for me, the injections aren't too bad. They do hurt a little bit, but it is over so quickly, and I usually just keep my mouth going talking to the nurse and the doc, which keeps my mind off the shot. They both probably wish I would shut up!

Your problem is so darn complex, and as you said, rare; it is so hard to know what might help you. But, your trying all the right things so far. I know it is so very frustrating, but keep at it. I am just sorry you haven't found much relief from some of the pain yet. Even getting the pain down to a tolerable level would be great. So, let me know if you got the 2nd shot....and if so, hope it helps!

Take care!
Judy

Closed Thread