It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User
Question 28-year-old female with lower back/muscle pain

Hi,

Where should I begin...well, I guess I should start by saying that I think of myself as fairly healthy; I take vitamins, exercise and try to eat healthy foods. It seems, though, that once every few months (at that time of the month ) I experience extreme pain in my lower back. It's not just the typical menstrual pain, but it seems to be in my muscles. For example, for the past three days, after having sat for a short period of time in a relaxed position, I start to stand and I find myself in excruciating pain as I try to do what seems to be stretching my "frozen" muscles out in that area. It literally feels like my muscles have frozen in the seated position, and I have to stretch them before I can manage to walk in a bit of pain. I told a doctor about this a year ago when it started happening, and he seemed to think it was related strictly to my menstrual period, but I'm not as sure of this. Right now, I also have little twinges at the sides of my lower back/bottom that feel like pinched nerves.

What could this be? Has anyone experienced this and been told what it is? If so, what are some ways to alleviate it?

Fortunately, this started very suddenly on Thursday evening (I had to go to work on Friday in this condition which wasn't fun ), so I have had the weekend to sit with a heating pad and take Tylenol, etc. to help with the pain. I think that it has improved a little.

Thanks for any advice .

P.S. I want to also add that it hurts to bend over at my waist. I have to either stoop to pick things up, etc., or I have to use my long toes to pick things up if I'm barefoot *LOL* ;P

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 09-30-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: I needed to add additional information to my description of symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: 28-year-old female with lower back/muscle pain

Hi there!! I would definitely get it checked out to be on the safe side especially if you are having tingling sensations. Your GP can do this by ordering flexion xrays and then if he feels it is appropriate have an MRI done.
Make sure you let him know abut the tingling sensations.

You might try laying on ice and advil, motrin, or aleve for a few days around the clock and see if that makes a difference.

Take care and remember that we are here for you.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

Lilly66 HB User

[QUOTE=Musical_Muse;3234274]Hi,

Where should I begin...well, I guess I should start by saying that I think of myself as fairly healthy; I take vitamins, exercise and try to eat healthy foods. It seems, though, that once every few months (at that time of the month ) I experience extreme pain in my lower back. It's not just the typical menstrual pain, but it seems to be in my muscles. For example, for the past three days, after having sat for a short period of time in a relaxed position, I start to stand and I find myself in excruciating pain as I try to do what seems to be stretching my "frozen" muscles out in that area. It literally feels like my muscles have frozen in the seated position, and I have to stretch them before I can manage to walk in a bit of pain. I told a doctor about this a year ago when it started happening, and he seemed to think it was related strictly to my menstrual period, but I'm not as sure of this. Right now, I also have little twinges at the sides of my lower back/bottom that feel like pinched nerves.

What could this be? Has anyone experienced this and been told what it is? If so, what are some ways to alleviate it?

Fortunately, this started very suddenly on Thursday evening (I had to go to work on Friday in this condition which wasn't fun ), so I have had the weekend to sit with a heating pad and take Tylenol, etc. to help with the pain. I think that it has improved a little.

Thanks for any advice .

P.S. I want to also add that it hurts to bend over at my waist. I have to either stoop to pick things up, etc., or I have to use my long toes to pick things up if I'm barefoot *LOL* ;P

~Colleen[/QUOTE]
Listen to dietpepper, she is the expert here! Definitely get x-rays and if the x-rays do not show anything, demand an mri. Most back issues goes away on its own after some weeks..we here have all fell into this 1% category of people that have exhausted all conservative treatments and then ultimately surgery. Try ice as well when the pain starts..Keep us posted and I hope you feel better, real soon.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dp1234 HB User

x-rays wont show anything!yep.

Last edited by dp1234; 09-30-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

I appreciate everyone's advice .

My period has ended for this past month, but the back pain has continued to some degree off and on. I think it may be stress-related, as well as changing weather related (as it seems to be worse when it's cold outside or I'm cold). I have actually been using a heating pad which seems to relieve it, as well as Advil and Tylenol.

I'm hoping that it will end entirely soon, as I'm still trying to get my medical insurance straightened out, so I haven't been in to see a doctor for this recently. I am interested getting a complete physical when I can next see a doctor, as well as any other routine tests. I enjoy staying on top of my health .

~Colleen

Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=Lilly66;3234998]Listen to dietpepper, she is the expert here! [/QUOTE]

Thank you but I am far from the expert!! I am just another spiney like you and everyone else.

My hubby told me to tell you that I am just very opinionated!! LOL

Last edited by ms_west; 10-07-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Closed Thread