It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Handling under General Anaethesia worsened existing neck condition

I have been disabled for about 7 years with prolapsed disc at C5/6 with osteophyte pressing on my spinal cord. I have trouble using my arms due to stiffness and pain in neck and also experience numerous strange sensations in my face and head plus neck and arm pain. The past two years things have been a bit better on the pain front and weird sensations BUT a week ago I was in hospital for the day for a hysteroscopy and D&C under general anaethetic. i informed everyone of my spinal problems but they were running very late and I was last patient and they seemed to be very rushed and the anaethetist was seemed very blase about my spinal problem.

As soon as I came round from anaethetic I felt as if my neck and head were in a very tight vice. After a couple ofdays I deveoped severe left arm pain ( my problem is left sided) going down to my fingers with toothache like pain in my neck and back of head under skull. I also had severe tingling sensation over left side of scalp and up my face infront of my ear up to temple and into cheek and jaw. Intermittently I would get a feelingas if someone was pulling the skin extremely tightly in this area or feel as if my hair was moving as if somehting was crawling around and intense heavy crawling sensation up and down my left temple. Occasionally I get intense sharp stabbing pain in skin in scalp.

Now all of these symptoms I have had before over the years individually but I have never had them all together and going on and on. The severe arm pain subsided after two days unless I use my arm alot but all the other symptoms and pain have continued. My painkillers and diazepam are having no effect.

I have made an appt with my neurosurgeon in just over a weeks time to see what he thinks has happened.

I find ice or heat makes it worse.

I don't suppose anyone has any bright ideas on what else I can do but I just feel overwhelmed and very frightened that this will not get better on its own and that they have damaged my neck even further.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Handling under General Anaethesia worsened existing neck condition

Hi Gavi,
I'm afraid I have no bright ideas whatsoever, but I just wanted to tell you I hope your neurosurgeon can help you and you get some relief. This has always been one of my fears going into surgery, that they'd mess up my neck. I have neck problems associated with my back problems, have had it for years, but I know what to do about it when it gets bad. I was terrified they'd mess me up when I was in surgery and then I would't be in any shape to deal with the neck issue. Fortunately, they were careful and didn't hurt me.

Are you able to sleep and get a break from the discomfort for a while?

Let us know how you're doing.
Blessings,
Emily

Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Handling under General Anaethesia worsened existing neck condition

I'm afraid I don't really have any ideas on what to do to make you feel better. However, I would see my surgeon and find out of an MRI is in order. In the meantime, do you have any kind of neck brace that you could put on? It might help with the pain if the neck is supported. I guess that is an idea after all. But it's all I've got to offer, other than the mundane, rest, rest, rest.

They really do wrestle us around like a sack of potatoes when we're on that table in spite of the warnings we give them. Too busy and things are moving too fast for them to take special care, I guess. With what they charge, you'd think they could at least treat our unconscious bodies with respect!

I do hope you start feeling better very soon.

Carol

I hope this gets better all on its own.
morphine pump

Closed Thread