It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Cool Just thought I'd stop by to Brag .

Since my steroid injection's my pain level has dropped. Sure I still have pain standing and walking but no where near what it was . And I bad mouthed them steroid injections. Does anyone know exactly what them shots do ? Are they to numb the area or what ? I don't know why they took away my pain..

Saying hello to all my buddies

Shawley

Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Just thought I'd stop by to Brag .

I am so happy for you!! Finally something that works to relieve your pain!! YAHOO!! I think the key is all about injecting them in the right location. I would get up and dance a jig but I don't think I can get out of my chair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Shawley, I have been wondering how you were, I'm so glad you are feeling better! Steroidals numb somewhat, but they also strengthen the muscles to hold every thing in place better, and get rid of inflammation. Thanks so much for the update, so many of us here care about you, guy! Is your foot pain better too? hope so.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
(female)

gagalabama HB User

Soooooooooo happy to hear that the shot worked for you. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance about payment of the shot and wasn't sure how to proceed. Hearing from you has really helped me "lean" toward the shots instead of the rods and screws. Congrats on your pain free time. Enjoy !

Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Ah ha! So have you been out hunting? We've wondered where you've been! I'm glad you've gotten some long overdue relief from your pain. Don't forget about us!

Take care,
Emily

Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
(male)

camperboy HB User

Congratulations on finding something that works... you must be, like, one of only 5 or so people where those GD shots actually work! Good luck and let's hope it lasts!

-David

Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Shawley, It's great to hear that those shots worked. I hope you continue to have a decrease in your pain. I have this imaginative theory that the shots are like a lubricant; you know how you oil a part, or grease something; then it works better! Now, that is just a figment of my imagination, and sorry to say, I don't have any idea how the shots work, just so they do!! Having my 2nd lumbar one next Thursday; I hope mine works as well as yours...the first one wore off, darn it! You take care!

Judy

Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Oh Shawley,
I'm so so happy for you!!! I hope they last a long time. My cousin, the one in PA, he had those shots and they lasted way over a year's worth of relief, I hope you go longer than that. See prayers do work!!!!

God Bless

Carol

PS: to all the critters out there in the woods [SIZE="7"]RUN!!![/SIZE] Shawley's hunting again, lol. enjoy!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Run bambi run, shawly forgot he saw the cute little animals and wouldn't shoot them anymore (and I forget exactly what the story was) DDD

I am so glad you are feeling better Shawley, I bet you are treating the wife really good now, she is probably coming home to a clean house, and dinner waiting and you in a little something special waiting to give HER the hot oil back massage for all the years of taking care of you. I know the woman deserves it!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Shawley, that's wonderful!! I'm so happy for you, especially after you've been suffering so much. Just be careful about overdoing things because you may end up hurting worse when the meds wear off. Steroids are very powerful anti-inflammatories & immunosuppressants, so what they basically do is reduce inflammation of nerves, muscles, surrounding tissues and also suppress the immune system. Besides injections for spine pains, steroids in different forms (oral and sprasy) are used for asthmatics, people with severe allergies, all types of auto-immune diseases (lupus, ra, inflammatory bowel disease,etc) WIth these diseases, the immune system is usally overactive fo some reason and causes your body to attack it's own cells. Usually when they do those injections there is also an anaesthetic injected as well. Steroids can seem like a miracle drug for some, but it's a catch-22 because too much over long periods of time can cause alot of damage, even to the muscles. I believe one should have a maximum of 3 injections per 6 month period to be safe. The best I ever felt was when I was taking oral prednisone for a supposed lupus flare (im not even sure if I really have this or not, but thats another story) about 4 or 5 years ago. After a week of taking it, it was unbelievable how great I suddenly felt after having so much pain in joints all over and so many other symptoms. My hair stopped falling out, my bladder problems disappeared, every joint pain disappeared, rashes went away, my hives and angiodema stopped, my skin looked better, my nails grew like mad, my bad headaches stopped.. I cant even remember every symptom I had , but all of it went away. It was too bad I couldnt just stay on it all the time. But over time it can cause high blood pressure, high blood sugar, weight gain, makes you more suscepitble to infections, osteoporosis...Also taking a moderate dose for a while will actually cause your own adrenal glands to shut down. THe synthetic steroids take over that job, so one has to taper off with decreasing doses over time, to enable the bodys own adrenals to kick in again. Some people have to take it, though because the benefit may outweight the risks.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

It sounds like you are living the dream; welcome back to reduction in pain.

I am sure that you can appreciate the difference in the quality of life that you have... I appreciate every day that I wake up and it is less pain than before the surgery. But as I posted with BLUE ATLAS the pins and needles are comong back latley, my back hurts; my lower groin area pain is back in full force; and as the legs hurt so does the burning come back all of the things together. My friend the Army CANDY MOTRIN 1600 mgrams worth kinda takes the pain away. I have reduced my walking to 2 miles a day 5 days a week for the most part. One day I feel good and the next couple not so well. WE willl have to see what the Family doctor has to say about all of this. I have to get past them referal wise before TRI CARE will let me see the Spine Doctor if that is what doctor I need to see. Hopefully he will do the checks and say you need creme for the itch and other than that here are some pills for the pain and it will all go away with time. I think that the weather in Nebraska might be a factor in all of this as well. IT is go and see what happens reaction wise with the weather and the body as well.

This is all so new to me so to speak. I will post later today or tomorrow with the results of the visit..

ROY48

It will not be long and it will be time for pheasants,deer,quail and all of the things that need to be trimmed up a bit. Your freezer will start to fill up and things will be so much better.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
(female)

Nikirae HB User

So great to hear you have gotten some relief from those shots!! That is great news indeed

As for the hunting...well this vegitarian is telling Bambi and all the other little critters to RUN! hehe

~hugs Niki

Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Shawley, man - enjoy every minute... so happy to hear that shot eased your pain. You are very lucky, not many of us can say same thing, include me.

Just take it easy; usualy if I get a better day, i do too much and than suffer.

Keep up with a good work and don't forget your old friends here

Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Guy! I am sooo sooo sooo sooo happy to hear that your pain level is down. that is such good news shawley! You have been waiting so long for this and it's finally arrived.

The docs had entertained shooting my facets to see if it would bring my pain level down further thinking that might be the source of the post op pain that still remains. But since I am not very bad off, i have chosen not to go this route unless my pain level rises or gets constantly worse. Which I am hoping never happends of course.

But it's nice to know that someone actually got some good results with it. Thanks for bragging guy! You deserve to!

All the best to you.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Teal"][B]
Guy's and Gal's ,
Thanks for posting to this thread , I'd like to post to each one of you but I fell so behind not being on here much. I'm not hunting yet , I still need a buddy to be with me just in case something would happen to me or if I filled a deer tag , dragging a deer wouldn't be good for me.. I will be out before long.. Yes my back pain is less , I still get jolts when I bend or lean but the other crushing feeling is gone . Much better,, Funny ,because the other steroid injections never helped me .

ROY , I'm so sorry your pain is returning , this stinks buddy . I feel guilty now for bragging . Hope things start looking up for you and the Beach buddies

Oh yeah , No more pain pill's for me yet ! I feel so much happier not taking them and more energetic . I still have a bottle for the just in case .
I'll be dropping bye now and then to see how everyone is doing and if you really want to talk or ask me anything get with Pepper/Clover /Yvette , they can contact me . I'll keep you all in my prayers . My leg and feet hurt some but not bad as before.

Shawley [/B][/COLOR]

Closed Thread