It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
Pain doc wants to burn a nerve in my lumbar to prevent pain

Has anyone heard of this. He didn't go into much detail. he just said he could burn it and that would prevent my pain. Sounds to easy. Can anyone explain the procedure and the success rate. I had a charite disc replacement that failed and this is what he suggested. Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
(female)

ihavtwins HB User
Re: Pain doc wants to burn a nerve in my lumbar to prevent pain

Hi! Burning a nerve can help pain if that is where the pain is coming from. They can do it with local or quick sedation, my pain mgmt doc did it right there in the office but I was not allowed to eat or drink that morning. They go in with a guidance tool to find the nerve they think is sending pain signals and burn it. It is destroyed, however the nerve can grow back, it does take time though, you may have a year or so of relief or longer. This can be a great procedure if it works, but a very disappointing procedure if it doesnt. You will typically be a little extra sore for a few days.
Hope that helps!
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

jen is right in what she just told you about this.i am contemplating this for my c 2-3.i have some pretty grusome type pain being generated up there that is raising holy heck and even causing me occipital base of my skull headaches/severe high neck pain that just wont quit.my PM had mentioned about a year ago the RAF but he already knew from past experience that my particular ins co wouldn't pay for that procedure.so he said they get around that by doing the phenol injection burning instead.i have been trying everything under the sun to try and not end up having to go this route but nothing is really helping at all and my headaches are just getting worse.Sooo, i am thinking very hard at this point in time that this may be the best option now.it just kind of scares me since he will have to go up into my actual skull area in order to reach this nerve.my PM told me they are not going to be burning the 'big" main nerve but the smaller ones?don;t know exactly what that means yet since i have not had a really in depth chat with him about this yet,just kind of preliminary.but i do know what you are going thru.this,for me is just looking like my only real true option right now.i just need this hell gone,soon.its creating all kinds of issue for me,not to mention head pain just sucks when its constantly there.my other pain areas are worse,but man that head pain just sucks.

so what have you been told about this so far?marcia

Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Jason. They burn out nerves using radio frequency. Works for some. BUT, I would be asking for details from the doc. A doctor that won't discuss the procedure is not a doctor I would want doing any procedure on me.

Don't let them do anything to your body without you first having a total understanding of the procedure, where it is, what and how it is to be done, what and how your body should respond to it, and recovery for you.

Then if you are comfortable with it, then proceed from there.

After your issues with the Charite'.. drill those docs for info.

Let us know more when you found more about what he would like to do.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I had the radiofrequency at L5/S1 last May. I was put out using meds...so I was unaware of most of the procedure...NICE...but they do stimulate the nerve...and I woke up when they did that...not so nice...but it was fast pain...here and gone. The recovery was uncomfortable for me...it takes a while for the nerves to die off...but meds. are given for the pain...if the RAF works it is great...the pain is reduced or gone...for several months.. In my case it didn't work that well...helped a bit...the PM Dr. who did the procedure explained that sometimes the nerve hides in a crevice (yeah sure) and they miss it....ha... I'd try it...what have you to loose...PAIN??? (so what did they burn on me???? ) Hope this works for you..

Sage

Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
(female)

Tulip15 HB User

I had the RFA in Sept, wish I could say it worked for me, didn't work at all, and now I'm still in pain and even more so, I must say tho I do see that some of you were given sedation for this procedure I was given nothing, just something to relax me but I felt everything, and it was horribly painful procedure and I would never do it again.

If you doc doesn't explain the procedure to you I wouldn't have it done.
Some people are very much helped by this procedure, so for some it works wonders and then there are the few of us that it doesn't, I just think for myself injections of anykind don't help me, as I've been through them all.
Good luck.
Tulip15

Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
(male)

guyofmusic HB User
Thumbs down Re: Pain doc wants to burn a nerve in my lumbar to prevent pain

I dont think doing that is a good idea.....it was explained to me this way. If they burn one nerve then they dont fix the problem, they just delay the inevitable. More scar tissue will get damamged and then theyll have to burn more nerves. Then, you will lose circulation in that area, which will eventually cause atrophy......then your screwed. So......i'd say no. They asked me to do it and I changed dr's. It hasnt been offered to me since.

Good luck and best wishes always!! We suffer together....

Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

[QUOTE=guyofmusic;3291086]I dont think doing that is a good idea.....it was explained to me this way. If they burn one nerve then they dont fix the problem, they just delay the inevitable. More scar tissue will get damamged and then theyll have to burn more nerves. Then, you will lose circulation in that area, which will eventually cause atrophy......then your screwed. So......i'd say no. They asked me to do it and I changed dr's. It hasnt been offered to me since.

Good luck and best wishes always!! We suffer together....[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree I had this done too. For me it didn't help that much and if it had I was told the nerve would regenerate in 6-8 months meaning a repeat of the procedure. Still, I suppose, if it would help 75-100% it would have been worth it. It would not be worth it for 50% or less, especially since it took several weeks to get over the procedure.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
(female)

PATammiee HB User

I'm due to have this FUN procedure done in a week!!

On Sept 22nd of this year I had surgery on my L5/S1 I hurt worse than before surgery SO they are going to try this...

My question is... does this hurt much?? What's it feel like aferwards?? What's the recovery like?? Any info would be helpful.

Closed Thread