It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Numbness in Fingers While Laying Flat

I usually have to sleep in the fetal position, however sometimes while watching TV I'll lay flat for a little while and prop up my head a bit. Over the past week i've noticed the 2 outer fingers on my left hand start getting tingly and numb after laying on my back for a few minutes. Once I get up or sit up, it goes away & the feeling comes back. Strange thing is, this does not seem to happen when laying on my side. I know sometimes if you lay on your arm/shoulder the wrong way, it can cause your arm/hand to go to sleep. But this is just while laying flat with my head propped up a bit. I tried yesterday laying flat w/o my head propped up & the same thing happened. I cant lay like this for long, but it's only happening after about 5 minutes. UGHH, could this now be some sort of compression in my upper spine? I am not currently feeling any real pain in my upper spine, though I have in the past, but it's always gone away w/o medical treatment (well I've used heat, ice, ibuprofen, cervical pillows,etc.., never had a doc look into it)

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

greenjeans HB User
Re: Numbness in Fingers While Laying Flat

Morning Baybreeze,
I don't have a real answer for you, but I can tell you that 5-6 weeks ago my thumb went numb, then traveled up my arm, neck,jaw, chest and stomach. I have other issues that have all my docs (three now) suspecting MS, in addtion to the back. I totally understand the numbess and to date, no one has given me an answer. So I'm dealing with the back pain along with possibly finding out that I have MS. Dose it get ANY better?

I'll tell ya, I'm so sick of being numb in my arm/thumb that I could just scream!!!!!!! I've been chatting on an MS board, and have some of the symptoms they have, but the thing that hurts the most is my back. Has anyone here ever had numbess for weeks like me? Would be comforting to hear that someone else does!! Actually, MS might be a better thing as it comes and goes....unlike back pain that is all day every day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I've had my left foot numb for over a month, but I know that was due to nerve compression in my spine. I had a nerve block done and it helped. But I keep getting more problems, so unfortunately, I dont think it ever really ends. I think I need a whole body replacement, how about you? LOL

Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
(female)

greenjeans HB User

Yeah I'd love to go to the store and pick out a new body!! It LOOKS okay, but it feels 70. (I'm 43)

Old 11-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, I'm 38 and look & feel about 78. I should have known, I started going grey at 19-20 yrs old, and started in with joint & other problems around 20, though my spine problems didnt start til about 33. My father, who is nearing 70 is more like a 20 yr old!!! He still cycles 100 miles in a day, goes jumping over logs in on trails on a Mountain Bike, canoes, kayaks,hikes, etc. All he ever gets once in a blue moon is a little knee ache...pops one Aleve & he's good to go again. I'm jealous of him! LOL My mother, on the other hand, is like me

Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

greenjeans HB User

Interesting you say this. I know my Dad has back problems. He's not the type to get help tho. THink I'll call him today and have a chat about that. We live in different states, so don't talk near enough. My Mom, on the other hand is 66 and is healthy as an ox!! I'm jelouse too

Old 11-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Baybreeze, this probably isn't what's going on in your case, but two years ago my son was diagnosed with diabetes. Numb fingers when he woke up in the morning were some of the first symptoms he mentioned, though it was several weeks until we finally figured out the cause. Again, probably not it, but felt like I had to throw it out there...

Emily

Old 11-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
(male)

HipsterDoofus HB User

I get this too and it's just from tightness/shortness in the chest muscles (pectoral muscles). The pec minor muscle can press on the nerve bundle to the arm/hand/fingers. We all get some shortness in these muscles because of rounded shoulders from sitting, driving, working at the computer, etc. When you're lying on your back the shoulders go back and help to pull the muscles tight against the nerve bundle. Then you stand up, sit up or roll to your side and the muscles relax. So you can learn to stretch the pecs and that will help to prevent it or do the stretch when you have symptoms to relieve it.

Closed Thread