It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

tarasgray HB User
slipped disk

i just wondred if my slipped disk would heal without bed rest as i cannot be off work, if anyone has advice id be grateful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
(male)

jeffengland81 HB User
Re: slipped disk

It's a tough one because most backs have a mind of their own.

If you are in a lot of pain, it can be very beneficial to have a couple of days bed rest (hard supportive mattress) until some of the inflammation goes down. But this is not necessarily mandatory as only time is going to heal a disc naturally.

If you have a sitting down desk job that could be problem if the slipped disc is in the lumbar area as sitting is really bad for a lumbar slipped disc. I would avoid prolonged sitting at all costs if you have a lumbar slipped disc in its acute stage.

Make sure you invest in a good chair if you do have to sit down with lumbar support. And take plenty of breaks.

Ultimately a slipped disc is going to repair quicker the sooner you get blood pumping to those back muscles so walking and standing are fine. Prolonged standing is another matter and again should be avoided (but is better than sitting)

Personally I would take the time off and rest, still remaining active. Sometimes your back will thank you for giving it time to rest and recover.

Last edited by jeffengland81; 11-23-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: slipped disk

Well that depends on what you mean by bed rest. Your back can heal and it can heal while you go about your life, with care. The disc may heal on it's own or it may not. Time will only tell for you on this.

If you are one that does a lot of standing all day or doing any moderate or heavy lifting.. you are drastically decreasing your odds of not keeping that disc staying protected from further damage.

Your doctor should go over proper techniques for you to learn and lean well. Once you get them down.. you can do them without thinking. Such as the alignment of your spine at all times, especially when sitting, standing, getting up and down, walking up/down stairs, etc. Proper spine position is really important, and that you also minimize any bending, lifting, twisting of your spine.

This doesn't mean you can't do them, but you must learn the proper ways to do so.

I would bring this up with your spine doctor and see what is suggested.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Last edited by Justoneofus; 11-23-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Closed Thread