It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
(male)

HarleyGuy HB User
In Pain Constantly

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so please bear with me. I wish I had found this site when I first got injured last year.
Brief History:
Injured at work 8-11-06 (friday)
Waited till monday to go to doc. Hoped it would go away.
Went to my doctor and as soon as my wife said "he was at work" they would not even look at me. To make a long story story short I ended up at my company's work comp. Doctor. waited for over 3 hours to get in to see him took x-rays and said finest looking spine of any 46 year old he had ever seen.
said it was pulled muscle, gave me flexeril and vicodin and sent me home for the rest of the week. To make even a longer story shorter after a month of seeing him, My work comp insurance co. switched me to the Doctor I now see. Thank God!!! My Pain Management Doctor is great.

I had severe shooting pains in right leg mainly, but also had some in left leg. There was some but not a lot of pain in back compared to legs. There was also numbness, tingling and everything else that goes along with nerve infringement from a broken piece of the disc floating around in there.

Had the Mri, pt, three esi's, emg, myleogram and finally laminectomy and open decompression surgery of l4/l5 on Dec. 18 of 2006. My surgeon is awesome. When I woke up from the surgery I could tell instantly I was fixed,
the pain was gone. I have always been against back surgery and I did not want it in the beginning, but after 5 months of pain I was ready.

The only pain I had after surgery was at the surgical site. That pain has never gone away. it is still there and getting worse. In May of 2007 I went back to work after going thru pt and work conditioning. I am (or was) an Auto Technician and had been for over 30 years. I went back to work with medium duty long term restrictions. After 5 weeks I could not take it anymore,
the pain in my back was so bad that the last 3 days I worked was on very little to no sleep. I was still not at MMI so Doc took me back off work and I had one ESI, with no relief. I then had an Mri with contrast and it showed scar tissue surrounding l4/l5 nerve root with adhesions, but disc spacing was good. It is now end of August and after being off work I am better but still in pain. Doc tells me at this time there is nothing more he can do surgically and we need to give it more time. I need to re-think how important my career is to me and the fact I should not do this kind of work anymore. He puts me at MMI and I go back to work the first of September 2007 with the same restrictions as before, but now I am doing the easiest of Jobs as a Tech.

I made it six weeks this time. Even being on Oxycodone and Norco for pain, Cymbalta for nerve pain, Zanaflex for muscle spasms, Restoril for sleep I could not go anymore. The last four days I worked was on no sleep period.
I have always been a tough sob, I have a very high threshold for pain. It it amazing to my wife how much pain I go thru and how hard I push myself. When I hurt this much I am wired my brain will not let me sleep. I have always been this way.

Since my Doc put me at MMI the WC Ins. has been a pain. I had been waiting for a myleogram since the first of October. I got denied the second week of November. Doc sent me to get a emg at his expense to prove to WC that I need a myleogram. Like I said He is awesome. The emg shows nerve compression and the emg doc said either the disc collapsed or re-herniated
and that I do need a myleogram. He said this explains why the more I do the more I hurt.

Ever since surgery I have had this pain. IT IS CONSTANT, NEVER GOES AWAY.
The more I do the worse it gets. After surgery I had a hard time sitting. Driving kills me. Standing and walking as well as laying down always helped. That is not the case anymore. I have a select comfort bed, have had it for about 12 years now. In my opinion the best bed made. It doesn't matter where I set it now I cannot get any relief. I am so misserable I could scream.

I am sorry about ranting. I found this site in May 07 I guess I should have started posting sooner. I hate to complain. I am almost to the end of my rope. On thanksgiving this year went to my brothers home. Was there approx. 5 hours. By the time we left I was in tears and my wife had to help me get in the truck. I know now the cold is killing me. We had a cold front come thru the day before and that is when the pain started to go thru the roof. Is anyone else going thru or has gone thru this. My Surgeon, pain mgmt. Doc and Emg Doc all said I was probably looking at a fusion or disc replacement. I am currently on oxy 10/325 to sleep (HA HA) and Norco 10?325 every 4 hours. I don't think these are working anymore. Tolerance. If he ups my meds will they work or do I need something else. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Again sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me vent.

Thank you all so much,
Harley

Last edited by HarleyGuy; 12-06-2007 at 07:10 AM. Reason: wrong date

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
(female)

greenjeans HB User
Re: In Pain Constantly

I hear you Harley. Constant pain is something that can't be understood unless you have it. I kept thinking I'd get better on my own too. No such luck and three years into it. Can't imagine what my solution will be at this point, but look forward to having this board to walk the road with.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
(male)

kevkli HB User

Hi Harley, welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about all the pain you are having.

Everyone that takes pain meds will grow a tolerance to them. If you have been taking them for more than 6 months, then its time to change them or up the dosage.
I myself have been in pain from the low back for 10+ years. I started taking pain meds about 3 years ago. I never wanted to say anything , I always thought if I say something or ask for more meds or up'd dosage, they will think i am an addict.
Thats not the case. You know your pain better than anyone. If the meds you are on are not working, ask for them to change them. I tell them, " I dont't care what you give me, just give me something that works."

I had L4 - S1 fused on halloween this year, so if they offer fusion, make sure you get a second opinion. But if they both say the same thing , go for it. It has helped me so much alrady!

Hope this will help you,
-Kevin

Old 12-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi Harley and welcome to the board
The people here are awesome and believe me we can ALL relate to some part of your story.
Pain sucks and it greatly disrupts your life as you well know. What is the holdup with W/C letting you have the myleogram? I am on W/C also and I thought they had to pay as long as you had not "settled" with them. I am 6 months post laminectomy L5-S1 and dealing with continued nerve pain despite ESI's and numerous meds. I actually had a sympathetic nerve block yesterday and am hopeful it will help.
Best of luck to you...keep us posted.....post with good news and bad news, there's always someone to "hear" you.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

So sorry to hear your story. When I was in pain that brought me to tears like that every night I switched from Percocet to a Fentanyl (Duragesic) Patch. This is for around the clock pain relief. I would ask your doctor about something like this. It is stronger than Percocet and might help you get more sleep. Time to take out the big gun pain killers in my humble opinion. You CAN get pain relief even with your bad pain. It's a matter of moving to stronger meds and having a doc who is willing to prescribe them. I wish you the best with your choices ahead for a more permanent solution. Sounds like you have some steps to go through and decisions to make. Lisa

Last edited by CaliGirl; 12-06-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
(male)

HarleyGuy HB User

Hi Guys & Gals,

Thanks Greenjeans, Kevkli, Deb & Cali for your kind words, helpful comments and much needed encouragement. If I had known how much these boards are helping I would have started posting sooner. I have always been a private person & don't like to complain but, just being able to talk to people who have and are going thru the same thing I am is helping alot. Lord knows my poor Wife needs a break from me. She really trys to understand and I love her for it, but sometimes she just doesn't get it, if you know what I mean.

I posted an update but I wanted to thank each of you for your replies, they really do mean alot to me.

I hope all of you have a great weekend and as painless as possible. I will talk to you later.

Harley.

Closed Thread