It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
(male)

wjm1965 HB User
Cold weather back pain

I had a discectomy and lamenectomy about 7 years ago. This year the cold is really getting to me. Does anyone have a suggestion to combat the problems of back pain associated with the cold weather? It seems once it gets really cold outside, my back tightens up and starts hurting. I stretch but that only works part of the time. Do you know of anything I could wear throughout the day. Have you ever tried those back patches? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Cold weather back pain

Gosh this is a good question. I know this year prior to my surgery two weeks ago anytime cold hit my back, I could not wait to get back inside because of the cramping and needing to get the heat on my back. I can certainly understand what you are saying. The only thing I can think of is one of those heat patches or bengay.

I am looking forward to reading any other suggestions you get on this thread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

If you are a woman I have a suggestion for an undergarment rather some sort of heating device. Some of the new "body shapewear" camisoles I find helpful. The one I like is a heavy, stretchy fabric, fits like a glove, keeps me warm and provides support to my lower lumbar area. It is long and covers about 8" below the waist. (It actually fits like a tank bathing suit without any leg holes on the bottom -- just cut straight across and not quite so long.

I bought it to wear after my surgery instead of having to wear a bra, but was pleasantly surprised to see how comfortable it feels to my lumbar spine. It is both supportive and warm; feels good in the cold weather but I think it would be unpleasant in warmer, more humid weather.

Last edited by mznell; 12-16-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I would suggest either under layers to keep warmer or wear those stick on heat patches. If you use the patches, make sure not to keep them on longer than the directions state or it can irritate or even burn your skin. I think there should be a vest-type thing that is made from a huge heat patch! I though of that the other day at work when everything was hurting; my spine, neck and left shoulder.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]HI,
I take a low dose of a muscle relaxer, flexiril 10 mg 3 times a day. I know we are always striving for less meds but sometimes it's what you need. I know for me I get a big knot in my fusion area, L4-S1. I have a large amount of scar tissue due to the 4 surgeries in the same spot so the combination is not a good thing. See if your doc can offer any other suggestions, maybe a a few visits to the PT dept. might help you find a med free answer.

My dr. told me that whenever the weather changes the barometric changes will do horrible things to my back so I should expect it. Not sure there is anyting we can do about that.

I hope you find relief soon, I know how you feel.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 12-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

So Mama, you think it is back spasms ???

Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Pepper,
Yea I think it may be spasms. Really it can be many things, I would explore it with my dr. until I get relief or at best an explanation. I know for me the weather change is always a big thing, that lil monthly visitor we women get is also a big spasm trigger too.

Carol

Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Fortunately, the later I do not have to worry about.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
(male)

wjm1965 HB User

Thank you All.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User

Hey Mama -- saw you are on what you call a low dose (10mg 3x daily) of Flexiril. My pain doc put me on it 5mg 3x a day. He thinks I am in constant spasm, which I found surprising because I only feel it sometimes in my legs, but hey, I'll consider anything.

All I've done is sleep all day after my first dose of this flexiril stuff. (no complaints, sleep was welcome). Just wondering if this will wear off. Hopefully I'll get used it by Wednesday, when I have to go back to work!

happy merry

Schragie-girl

Old 12-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi Schragie,
I don't feel sleepy from the flexiril at all, I don't think I ever did. I didnt' really think I needed it either but I can tell you if I skip a dose i'm like all bent over trying to find that comfort zone. My spasms are all in my back once in a blue moon they are in my bad leg but not very often at all. All meds are lifetime meds at this point in time, until the medical profession comes up with something that can help me I'm on these darn things forever. I take 450 mg lyrica a day, 30 mg flexiril a day, one 10/500 lortab every 6 hrs. So you see why the flexiril is a minor thing for me. With all that I still am in pain most the time but at a much lower level than without the meds.

I'm really fearing that I may need to have the lortab or the lyrica increased since I'm having alot more bouts of increased pain that last month or so. My darling 75 lb dog pulled me while walking him a month ago and I'm still not recovered from that. Had to go on the prednisone pack to see if it will help, finished it last week but no relief yet.

Well now that I've written a book guess I should close.

Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

God Bless

Carol

Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User

Carol: I read about the dog incident on another post and feel your pain! I have three dogs and we're putting them all through obedience classes at Petsmart. One's just a wee pup parsons russel terriers but the other two are medium sized shephards and leash pullers. Sadly, while the training classes are kind of fun, an hour of bending and working with the dogs is painful.

I am sorry the prednisone pack didnt help you. I tried the Medrol dose back (maybe the same thing?) years ago with no success.

I think the flexeril and neurontin are helping. Leg pain was so much more manageable tonight. Instead of having squirrels running up and down them, it felt more like an annoyance that I could tolerate. I was able to sit down for dinner and enjoy a couple of hours of "game night" with hubby. No bad side effects except dizzy and a little spacey. Needless to say, he won every game! Hope it passes. Funny thing is my back hasn't hurt in a long time but the exam I had yesterday really set it off. I'll trade leg pain for back pain anyday though. Feels like I am making a deal with the devil!

The big test will be going to work next week. It's the 10 hours of sitting between commuting/working that really does me in. Fingers crossed that this stuff will do its job.

BTW, we got one of gentle leader variety harness for our pulling dog and it's been helping. You might wanted to consider that for your big one.

Ruff Ruff,
Schragie-girl

Closed Thread