It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Stretching back causes prolonged pins/needles and numbness in fingers

I've had this problem for awhile now. Went to different doctors and researched different things, all with no real progress.

Sometimes I wake up and my body is "numb." Sometimes from head to toe, other times just hands and fingers. Doctors have all told me that I'm perfectly fine physically. They say it's psychological.

The problem lasts for a few days to a week, gradually fading away. It comes back every month or two, usually at random. It's serious when it happens because I can't drive (don't know how much pressure to put on the gas), I can't take things out of my pocket (I don't know what I'm feeling, it feels overly sensitive) and I can't pick my nose. Same problem, my finger feels over stimulated or numb.. hard to explain.

I've narrowed the problem down to two causes: alcohol or exercise. Alcohol seems obvious; Everytime I drink, it happens. I don't like alcohol and only drink socially. In my entire life I've only had 2-3 gallons of the stuff (I am now 24). I drink a beer, and wake up the next day with numb hands and legs. This lasts a week if i stop drinking.

Problem is, there is nothing about this in any medical literature, so I doubt this is the problem. It might be exercise. Whenever I stretch my bar or "stand up straight" to fix my posture, I notice that I become a little tingly/numb.. maybe my spin is pressing on my nerves? Just a guess..

Can this be the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Re: Stretching back causes prolonged pins/needles and numbness in fingers

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried icing anything. My entire body gets tingly/pins+needles, feels like it's electrocuted when I touch something or wear a sweater or get under a blanket. Legs, hands and face seem to be affected the worst, although that's probably just due to their nature (i.e., hair on my head rubs on my face and feels like tiny shocks of electricity).

It's not PAINFUL as much as it is annoying. It makes me irritable and uncomfortable. As if somebody took a blade of grass or a string and rubbed it lightly on your nose to annoy you.

I don't drink. I haven't in six months.. but I am "numb" as we speak so I guess I can't attribute it to the alcohol. Alcohol likely makes the problem worse, being a nerve toxin and all, but it's not the cause (it seems).

Also important: This isn't chronic. It comes and goes..

Closed Thread