It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
(male)

jeffengland81 HB User
Is sacroiliac belt a good idea?

Hi,

I had a microdiscectomy about six weeks ago, L5 S1, and in general I am happy - no massive sciatica and no back pain. Just lots of tingling at times, which is very annoying.

I initially had sacroiliac strain and I know this because my legs were different lengths! Anyway since the op and before in fact, all my muscles on my right side were very tight and my sacroiliac joint is still very painful to touch. I am sure it is hypermobile.

I have put on a sacroiliac belt the last couple of days and it seems to be making me feel a lot better (not as much tingling and feel more stable when I stand)

Is this a good idea??! I just don't want it to jeopardise the operation. How long should I wear it?

The reason I have put in on is I think that although the slipped disc has been dealt with, the actual SI joint is still unstable and the ligaments still sprained.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
(male)

Davesport HB User
Re: Is sacroiliac belt a good idea?

I'm no expert as I have not had the surgery, but I will try to offer a common sense reply. Wear it as little as possible while still bringing relief. Get excercises from a physical therapist to help alleviate the root of the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I am on the fence as to whether or not the support is a really good thing for you right now or not. Since you had the micro d only, you dont really have a good protective mechanism for limiting movement there like a fusion would, so you are more vulnerable to BLT injury and possible re-herniation. But, I have to agree with the other poster Jeff. While it offers support, your body can quickly become dependent upon it and weaning off it can be difficult. Is this something you got on your own or was it prescribed by your doctor? If your doctor prescribed it, then I would look to the doctor about the use of it and how/when to use it etc. Otherwise, I would limit it's use as much as you can, and discuss it's use with your doctor and ask about physical therapy with your surgeon and when you will be able to do more physical activity.

So in essence, I'm just not sure on this one. Sorry I wasn't of more help than that, but hopefully some of it gave you some food for thought. Happy holidays to you guy! I am glad things continue to go well for you.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
(male)

jeffengland81 HB User

The surgeon only seems interested in the disc!! When I mentioned the sacroiliac joint to him in my first visit he said that the pain wasn't coming from there.

However, my physiotherapist thinks the sacroiliac joint was the main causative factor and I am inclined to agree with him!

Anyway the pelvic belt has really helped me, it's making my right leg feel a lot less tight because I think the muscles are relaxing instead of working overtime to stabilise my SI joint. I am doing core exercises three times a day (in between all the food lol) and it seems to be helping.

I also did a sacral correction exercise yesterday (given to me by the physio) and most of the tingling has gone (VERY WEIRD, but good). So this confirms to me that the disc is only part of the problem.

It's annoying how we all have to figure these things out ourselves. I wish there was one person you see who knew everything. Just seems to me like surgeons are only interested in discs and while they are very important, other things can cause sciatica too.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I am so glad that everything is coming together for you. I wanna hear you are 100% after you heal! You have me interested in the sacral exercise. Can you describe it?

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
(male)

jeffengland81 HB User

Yeah basically it's a muscle energy technique. I do these once in the morning and once before I go to bed, just to keep my pelvis properly aligned. (my physio gave me them to do because I had unstable pelvis. I no longer get back pain since doing them)

1. Correct ilium. Lie on your back with both legs straight. Bend the right leg so that the knee points towards the ceiling and anchor your right foot to the ground. Without moving your right foot, push along the length of your right femur. This will cause your right hip to raise slightly off the ground. Keep pushing along the length of your leg keeping your foot anchored for ten seconds. Then straighten the right leg and repeat the procedure with the left. Do it five times on each leg.

2. Correct pubis bone. (You may need a partner) Basically squeeze something between your knees for the count of ten while you are lying on your back. It could be some pillows, books or better a family member who can help by placing their elbows between your knees while you push in. Your knees should not move with the exertion.

Next bring your knees together and push out against something. Easiest thing is a family member wrapping their elbows around your knees resisting you as you push out. Or you could use a leather belt around your knees.

Sounds very odd I know but it does work!

3. Sacral correction. Lying on your back bring both knees up and cross the right leg over the left one so that your right ankle is resting on your thigh. Then wrap both hands around the back of the right thigh (quite low down). Push down the right thigh while resisting the movement with your hands. Therefore the right thigh will not move. Hold for ten seconds and then repeat with left and so both sides three times.

I didn't really believe in these exercises until I tried them on myself but they do work. I used to get spasms in my back and no longer get them.

I just went to a xmas party and quite a few people were complaining of back pain. So I got them on the floor and did these exercises with them. One woman's back pain completely went after doing these exercises. Try them (just don't overdo it!)

Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
(female)

babtgirrl HB User

Hey there I just,wondered if u were fully healed now ? I have been suffering with do pain. Sublaxion and hyperbole do joints. I'm currently strapped up. I'm out of work cod I'm a personal trainer and its to physical. I'm currently seeing a osteopath. Any advice would be great.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]If you will look at the date in the upper left corner you will see that this post is almost three years old! I haven't seen most of these folks on the board in a loooonnnggg time. You will get more answers by starting your own thread..[/COLOR]

Closed Thread