It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

cherylww HB User
Muscle twitching and little stabby pains in legs?

I was wondering how common it is to have your legs twitch here and there every now and then, along with little stabbing pains here and there also. The little pains aren't bad, just annoying because I'm afraid that it's going to set off a chain reaction in muscle spasms.

If your legs and butt are doing this a lot, does that mean that the nerves are still inflamed, or can this just go on continuously for a long time?

Also, I get a jumpy feeling in my legs when I go to sleep or are relaxed. It's like when you dream of stepping off of a curb or something.

Like I said, it's just annoying. I can handle it though..compared to electrocution style sciatica pain. I'm just wondering why it's still doing this after 3 weeks, and if it's common after a bad sciatic flare up.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Muscle twitching and little stabby pains in legs?

If I understand your description, I am having alot of that right now. I am laying down, and my legs jump and it really does not hurt. Is this what you mean? If so, according to my surgeon the nerve is actually misfiring.

Last edited by ms_west; 01-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

[QUOTE=cherylww;3370691]I was wondering how common it is to have your legs twitch here and there every now and then, along with little stabbing pains here and there also. The little pains aren't bad, just annoying because I'm afraid that it's going to set off a chain reaction in muscle spasms.

If your legs and butt are doing this a lot, does that mean that the nerves are still inflamed, or can this just go on continuously for a long time?

Also, I get a jumpy feeling in my legs when I go to sleep or are relaxed. It's like when you dream of stepping off of a curb or something.

Like I said, it's just annoying. I can handle it though..compared to electrocution style sciatica pain. I'm just wondering why it's still doing this after 3 weeks, and if it's common after a bad sciatic flare up.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you just had surgery, I'm not sure if this is common but I have the same thing and I'll be five mo. Post Op on the 15th of Jan.. Funny thing though, I get those same needle ***** feelings in my fingers! I brought up the subject of the nerve pain and he said that they are still irritated and to continue my B-Complex as they help to strengthen the nerves. Yours may be just irritating but mine sometimes blow me out of the water albeit for a second and as the sciatic flare ups, I have those too but you have to realize that your still healing and the end result of the surgery should be evident at one year mark. I have to say that I was given a 64% improvement if I were to have the surgery but even at this stage Post Op I'd venture to say I'm 97% and I had what I like to call an "Around the World" surgery as they entered from the front and back and fused my lower lumbar. I still can't get my legs up enough to put my socks on that well but I'm hopeful. Even started PT and Tai Chi which is not as easy at it looks!

Be patient, do your walking but try not to over do it just yet and takes your meds if you need to. Glad your doing well at this stage so just keep up the good work!

LilRedsmom

Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
(female)

cherylww HB User

Yeah, I get the jumpy thing when I'm relaxed or going to sleep. I feel like my leg is kicking. The little twinges, or little twitches, go on quite a bit. Those are like tiny, quick muscle spasms. Then there's the tiny stabby pains that feel like a little shock here and there.

I guess my nerves are a confused mess, aren't they? LOL!

It's weird that I feel this stuff all day long, but at night I'm an achy mess. my hips especially. I have to get up and stretch all through the night. Once I stand up, my legs automatically do a flexing & stretching motion by themselves. Very strange stuff.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

cherylww HB User

Lilredmom,

In my case, I haven't had surgery. I injured my back 3 weeks ago after breaking up a big dog fight. I've had excrutiating sciatica that caused me to faint and end up in ER. So far I only know that I have a grade 1 spondylothesis (L5-S1) that was from an old injury or birth defect. I go to the neurologist tomorrow, hoping for an MRI and EMG.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi Cheryl,
Good luck tomorrow. I have that feeling in my legs too. I call it the "creepy crawlies". It feels like little things running up and down in my veins. Then they cramp with "charlie horses" and then "jump". Weird things, these nerves! If your doc has an explanation let us know.

Deb

Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

Cheryl,

I too get the muscle spasms in my legs and what I was given for that is a low dose of Xanax. I take half a tab when my legs get that way or when the muscle tends to ache as though I had been walking up hill for an hour! If the sensation is temporary I don't take the pill but if it's lasting way too long I'll take the half and get my relief! I hope they find out what's wrong and how to fix it, I hate pain but when your a Spiny I think we tolerate more pain than the normal healthy person because we've endured with it for so long! Let me know how the tests go and make sure you write questions you may have and ask your doctor for the answers. Take care and God Bless You,

Redsmom

Last edited by lilredsmom; 01-01-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcda HB User

Dear Cheryl,
I pray that you will get all the answers you need at your appointment tomorrow. I, too, get weird spasms, along with sciatica pain in my left buttock and leg. Last night, whenever I got relaxed, I had a really bad spasm and almost kicked my husband! It is really an odd sensation. Please keep us updated after your appointment tomorrow...thanks, in advance.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User

I'd love to hear more about what specifically causes those creepy-crawlies. I get them too, and barely remember to mention it to docs because they don't hurt. I don't know how many times I've said to my hub "did you see that?" when my legs start moving on their own, especially in bed. Doc told me I am constantly in spasm from my back (don't feel it there at all) and Flexeril is helping with that A LOT.

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how it goes.

Schragie-girl

Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
(female)

neecie HB User

well i have sciatica that affect my right leg it aches really bad....i get the creepy crawly...cant stop moving my leg syndrome.in my right leg...my doc says i have rls 'restless leg syndrome' its like u cant stop moving your leg.tingling kinda feeling..i used to have to get up and walk to get relief but my doc gave me a prescription for it now and it really works

Last edited by neecie; 01-03-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Closed Thread