It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Mony 22 Post ** Newbie**

I just noticed this post in the top sticky for tips. She is a new poster. I moved this so she might get a response from us.

(female)

Thumbs up Re: Less stress on your back around the house
Hi everyone Happy New Year to you all. I am a newbe to this forum and have been reading many of your wonderful ideas.
I have had two back surgeries and have been left with nerve root impingement. My left foot has very little feeling in it and also my left leg on the one side, i am in continual pain and take many different meds. I am always looking for ways to make life easier for me to get around. I have a wonderful husband that helps me alot and thinks up great ideas. One of them i would like to share with you today. In our laundry room I could no longer bend over to sort the laundry, my husband observed this, the room is small so no room for tables,stools on floor. Across from the washing machine he made a custom cupboard as high as I could reach and as deep as was possible, he put a drawer in the bottom for storage and a door on the top that pulls forward and each side is supported with a chain, when door is down you can take out what ever color wash you want to do. The door is then closed and kept closed by two good magnets, the top of the cupboard has been cut open to an oval shape, so i can throw dirty laundry in. The room is on the main floor, I do not think this would work for a large family, we only have one of our sons still living at home. I do a wash every other day, it works out well. Many people have seen this cupboard and have commented about it's usefulness for disabled people. Also I am tall and have awful trouble getting up from low seats. My husband once again turned our couch upside down and screwed 2by4s (for solid support)around the base of the couch, drilling holes for the longer legs that we purchased to make the couch higher. I am not a light person and the extensions that one can purchase in a medical supply shop are defiantly not for heavier people, done it, been there nearly ended up on the floor lol. I hope some of you find this info. useful, I am in my mid 50s and I never thought I would be afraid of falling down, tripping which i have done several times and thinking ahead of every move I do before I do it so i do not hurt myself. But hey i can still drive my car and visit my friends. God Be with you all.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User
Re: Mony 22 Post ** Newbie**

Welcome to our forum. That was a wonderful and helpful set up your husband made for you. If all of our DH could be so handy!

I hope you dont mind that I moved your post. When I skimmed it initially it looked like more than just a helpful sharing hint, and I didnt want your post to get overlooked by any of us.

You said you have permanent nerve impingement, even after two surgeries. Is it impingement or damaged or both? If so, why can't they free up the nerve? Also what back surgeries have you had and when, and what was the outcome of each? Did you get relief at all from the surgereis or did it make matters worse?

What type of meds are you on to control your pain?

Welcome to our forum. You are in good company with so many others that COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND what you are going through and what you are feeling. Most of us are either in the same boat or have been.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread