It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

tschuyler4 HB User
L5 fracture/Spondolythesis

hi, i'm a high school junior whos been diagnosed with spondolythesis and a small fracture in my lumbar spine. the whole thing started with a pig pile my girls soccer team had during preseason. i noticed pain but i tried to play through it a couple times and ended up in the ER. now i'm in a back brace for 3 months...which for some people might seem like not a long time at all. but i just feel really upset cause ive never gone more then a week without exercising. its been a month but im already going nuts. i got a job but its just not the same. has anyone had a similar problem? will i be able to go back to sports 100%? i play soccer year round, basketball, and was planning on playing lacrosse in the spring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
(male)

camperboy HB User
Re: L5 fracture/Spondolythesis

Hi!

Young bodies are great things! They can heal themselves much quicker than we old people's old bones. But you got to give it a chance! I know 3 months, at your age, sounds like a really long time. Some of us have been dealing with our back problems as long as you've been alive! Believe me, you really don't want to be like us if you can help it.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing that a spondy with a small fracture is something that someone of your age can heal from 100% and for good... so that you're not bothered again by it in the future. So, I know it's a drag, but please try to do what the doctors say. Being a senior is better anyway, and you'll want to be healthy for that!

Good Luck!

David

Last edited by camperboy; 01-08-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Welcome. Boy, do I know how you feel. My daughter was diagnosed with spondy when she was 11. She was born with the slip so she did not have the fracture as well. She played soccer, volleyball, skiied (water and snow), and was a dancer. While her slip was a grade I she was able to remain active and continued her involvement in her sports.

She made dance team when she entered high school. Dancing every day put her in a lot of pain and advanced her slip. Like you, she thought high school was over because her doctor removed her from all of her sports.

My daughter also had to wear the brace for three months. She absolutely hated it, but survived. After bracing her dr had her go through a couple of months of physical therapy three times a week to rebuild her core muscles. Is your dr planning on that?

Best wishes to you. As much as she hated the brace she did find that three months went rather quickly. She wore the brace during the beginning of her sophomore year. Take care. cas

Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

tschuyler4 HB User

Thank you both for responding yeah im going to be doing physical therapy after the 3 months...i broke my ankle freshmen year and my wrist last year..and the whole thing is kinda getting old. thank you for letting me vent though. i just need to be grateful that i don't have a worse problem.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter is so like you. After going through all of her back problems, she was diagnosed with another problem that she needed medical treatment for. She found out about this while she was going through all of her back treatments. She is a freshman at college this year. She was at college for two hours and that black cloud came over her again. She was helping her boyfriend put his sheets on his loft bed. Well, on the way down she missed a step and landed on her wrist. Luckily I was still there on campus. I didn't ask her about her wrist, but how is your back. We then spent six hours in emergency. I had to stay in a hotel with her that night. We went to the dr the next day. He then decided that the bones had moved and she had surgery the next day. The dr inserted three pins to hold the bone in place. She was on vicodin, but started classes that Monday.

So keep your head up! My daughter says that this is all telling her that she should go into pediatric orthopaedics. Good luck!!! cas

Closed Thread