It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

Lynne720 HB User
Neuropathy

How many of you who had lower back surgery now suffer from neuropathy in your feet? For my bf it started over a year ago slightly but he started to notice it more over the summer and since his hardware removal surgery in Sept 07 it has gotten significantly worse. The meds such as Lyrica, Neurontin and Cymbalta cause pain in his eyes so he can't take those types of meds. He will be seeing a neurologist soon but if anyone has any suggestions other than meds, I would really appreciate the help. I've been putting lidocaine patches on the top of his feet and that helps temporarily.

Lynne

Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Neuropathy

Believe it or not Lynne, I have found that ice packs help with the nerve pain. I assume it is chilling or freezing the nerve. I know I am strange. Otherwise, I have not found anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Lynne,
I am so sorry he still has problems... Tell me, how is his back pain after last surgery? Is he happy that he removed his hardware?

As you know I just had my hardware removed and more levels fused. For 2 weeks after my last surgery I did not feel neuropathy pain in my feet and toes. I felt them tingling and numb same as after my first surgery but i was praying for pain not to come back.
Last week it came back: I would say as of now it's much stronger than i had before. But it's only 3 weeks after surgery and since he did a lot of decompression it may take a year to heal, so I still hope.
But obviously numbness and tingling will die with me...

Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Hi Moldova,

Sorry to say that I don't have any good news at the moment regarding my boyfriend's lower back since his hardware removal surgery. He was doing better till about a month ago and now his lower back started hurting alot only on one side though. I am hoping its just due to stress that he going through (family problems). If you would ask him today how he feels about having the surgery, he would tell you that he should have never had any of them. I try to tell him that if he didn't do anything then he could have been worse off now. His pm doctor said that it will take around 6 or 7 more months to feel better. He based that on how he felt after his neck surgery. And thats another story, he went for an epidural last week in his neck since that started hurting ALOT and so far so good so I'll just keep praying that the pain stays away for good. Moldova, hopefully your recovery will be alot easier than my bf's.

Lynne

Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
(male)

richedie HB User

Sorry to hear that...I can relate. I have neuropathy in my feet as well and it is mostly my right foot. some days, my feet are ice cold, other days, there is pain, other days tingling, and many days I limp around. How is he walking?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

It hurts when he walks. He tries to balance himself on his heals which he still feels but then he loses his balance.

[QUOTE=richedie;3389794]Sorry to hear that...I can relate. I have neuropathy in my feet as well and it is mostly my right foot. some days, my feet are ice cold, other days, there is pain, other days tingling, and many days I limp around. How is he walking?[/QUOTE]

Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
(male)

dub1 HB User

I have had significant neuropathy since my fusion w/ hardware. I had a lot of neuropathy on the right side and left side pre surgery but after the right side has subsided and the left increased a lot. I am also experiencing sciatica in the left leg with pain, burning, tingling, and numbness all the way down to the foot. It is so hard to put your finger on it. I have considerable pain in my lower back since the surgery as well. I still can't walk more that 10 minutes without the sciatica starting to the point that I can't walk, I use a cain to help with this but nothing really helps, i have tried to push through it but when you are in a store and end up "stuck" and can't move your leg even with the assistance of leaning on a cart it is quite frustrating, I almost started to cry in the store because it has just been so overwhelming. I know I didn't have a choice in getting this surgery but it hasn't fixed anything, these are the same problems I had previous the surgery. They are recommending a hardware removal at 18 months post op which means about 6 more months of not working. Would anyone suggest NOT getting the hardware removed. If it will be worse than this I don't know if I can take it. I also can't imagine it getting too much worse than it is now. I have muscle spasms up and down my spine with a fluttering/popping feeling along with a tingle running from the low back to the top but it is isolated to one side. My surgeon can't explain it and just diagnosed it as neuropathy. The funny thing is that before the surgery he sounded so sure and convincing and now he just has no ideas to work from.

I am sorry your b/f is going through this please be there for him because he is way more frustrated than you can imagine. It sucks to be ripped from your life with no hope in sight. I pray things will improve and please let me know if the hardware removal was successful, as I am looking for similar assistance with my situation.
Stenosis
Nerve damage R/L
L5-S1 fusion w/hardware
L-4 herniated
Dorsal column spinal stimulator
Bi-Polar,Gen. Anxiety disorder

Closed Thread