It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
(male)

ujjnath HB User
Unhappy Need Help Reading my MRI

Folks:

I have a disc bulge L4-L5 and have been suffering for the last 4 years with constant pain down my right leg. I just got my second MRI report. Can anyone help in translating this to english. I went to a Accupuncturist today and now am feeling worse than when I walked in. I normally get pain only while standing upright.. but now I have pain when I sit down. I really need to lick this problem and decide if I want to get surgery or a cortizone shot initially. Any interpetation between congential vs degenrative would help. Thanks a million.. I cant stand the pain any longer.

Ujj

Here is the report:
IMPRESSION:

1. There is an apparent transitional lumbosacral articulation that is interpreted as bilateral sacralization of L5. The accuracy of the vertebral numbering system used in this report may be determined by comparison with lateral radiographs of the entire spine.

2. The L4-5 level reveals a 2 to 3 mm central posterior disc protusion, bilateral liamenta flava hypertrophy and a developmental decrease in the cross sectional diameter of the central canal, resulting in mild central canal setnosis. There is bilateral subarticular zone stenosis at this level, just proximal to the level of L5 lateral recesses, and impingment upon either of the traversing L5 never roots is possible due to this stenosis.

3. The L3-4 level reveals a very broad based 2 to 3 mm right posterior / intraforaminal disc protrusion that contributes to mild right froaminal stenosis but there is no associate nerve root impingement

Clinical History:
Low Back Pain. Rule out source of radiculopathy

Imaging Sequences:
Sagittal T1 weighted and T2 weighted and axial protaon density and T2 weighted images of the lumbar spine were obtained.

FINDINGS:

There is an apparent transitional lumboscacral articulation that is interpreted as bilateral sacralization of L5. The lumbar vertbral bodies reveal normal height. There is an up to 17 mm probable hemangioma within the L2 vertebral body. The L3-4 and L4-5 discs reveal moderate degenartive signal loss on T2 weighted images with normal height. There is no spondylolisthesis. The conus medullaris terminates normally at what is labeled the L1 level. The nerve roots of the cauda equina demonstrate a normal distribution within the thecal sac.

The L1-2 and L2-3 levels reven no psteriro disc bulge or protrusionor centeral or lateral stenosis.

The L3-4 level reveals a very broad based right posterior / intraforaminal 2 to 3 mm disc protrusion wthout assoicated nerve root impingement, contributing to very mild right foraminal stenosis. NO central canal or left foraminal stenosis is present at this level.

The L4-5 level reveals a 2 to 3 mm broad based central posterior discu protrusion, a developmental decrease in teh cross sectional diameter of the central canal and bilateral ligamenta flava hypertropy, resulting in mild central canal stenosis. At the L4-5 disc level, there is moderale bilateral stenosis of the subarticular zone, just proximal to the level of the L5 lateral recesses. There may be impingement upon either of the traversion nerve roots within the subarticular zone between the aphophyseal joint capasules and the posterior vertebral margins. This finding of subarticular stenosis is best seen on axial T2 eighted image #14.

The L5-S1 level is a transitional articulation with bilateral sacralization of L5. No posterior disc bulge or protrusion or central or lateral stenosis is identified.

The lumbar apopyseal joints are unremarkable. Incidentally noted is a probable hengioma within the left sacral ala.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User
Re: Need Help Reading my MRI

From what I know, you have a fairly classic pattern of degenerative arthritis with degenerative disc disease. As for some of the arcane medical terms, it might be beneficial for you to ****** them so you can write down the specific meanings and thus be that much more informed about your condition. Stenosis means 'narrowing', a process that occurs in about 100% of the cases of degenerative arthritis, over a period of time. It does sound like you might have some nerve impingement going on, but it didn't come right out and say that, so you will probably have to have a consultation. Best of luck to you, I probably didn't help you out that much...Paulo

Closed Thread