It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User
Unhappy leg pain after lumbar fusion

For those of you who have had one level lower lumbar fusion, did you have leg pain? Mine are hurting a lot on the top side between knee and thigh. This is Day 10 out from my surgery....

Is it OK to do gentle, isometric type stretching? I'd LOVE to take a nice, hot, soaking bath, but I know that is a for a bit longer!!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: leg pain after lumbar fusion

It sounds like you are having a case of sciatica. My doctor allowed me to sit on the edge of a chair, keep my leg straight on the floor, heel on the floor and pump my foot like you are using the accelerator. No more 10 than repititions and do it very slowly. If it hurts, stop. I was told it stretches the nerve.

If the pain is extremely painful, call your doctor and they can order you a nerve medication such as lyrica, cymbalta, neurotin, etc. to help with the pain.

Also alot of times they give you injections of numbing medications and steroids while you are under surgery and these wear off 2 to 4 weeks after surgery.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

apocalypto22 HB User

you mean after a spinal fusion you go through that sciatic pain?I had it once in one leg nearly died it hurt,imagine both legs?does these nerve pills work?and can you request having shots to deaden pain for a month or so?thanks

Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

marlosmom,

After my fusion surgery I had no leg pain for several months. IT has slowly over time started to show up at around 6 months and shows up from time to time after that.

I think that the weather in Nebraska changes so fast some times that it has a lot to do with it. One day nice and the next bitter cold. That is when it seems to flare.

I am not sure how the baremetric pressure has to do with it or if it is just me...

I am all new at this so to speak; next month will be a year since S1-L4-L5 fusion surgery 2 rods 6 screws and 2 cages. I was told that I fused totally at 6 months. That is why I started to have some of the pains. I really think the change in weather reflects how we walk and so on.. This is just ROY talk and my experinces. WE are all so different in certin areas it seems...

Best of luck; I hoped I helped you a little bit..

Roy47-48

Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

[QUOTE=marlosmom;3396353]For those of you who have had one level lower lumbar fusion, did you have leg pain? Mine are hurting a lot on the top side between knee and thigh. This is Day 10 out from my surgery....

Is it OK to do gentle, isometric type stretching? I'd LOVE to take a nice, hot, soaking bath, but I know that is a for a bit longer!![/QUOTE]

YES! I woke up with severe nerve pain in both legs, five weeks post op I still have it. I had L5 S1 done. Mine hurt all over, the right leg it stops at the knee, the left leg it hurts all down the leg, that is also the leg that is weak and has some numbness.
My PT that came to the house said that I could do some exercises, some ankle pumps, some simple stretching exercises, only gave me about four to do, and nothing strenous at all.

Hope you feel better soon.
Lori

Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Thanks, guys. I had sciatic pain for 3 years while trying to decide on having surgery. This pain feels different. Maybe more muscular. And it's just on the front side. And it only hurts from time to time. I was given oxycontin and lyrica after surgery and am supposed to take them at least up until I have my first doc appointment.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
(male)

jean235 HB User

I had the same surgery and now after 5 weeks also, my left leg from the back of knee upward hurts. I had this surgery to get rid of this same pain. I admit the pain is not bad as before surgery but it still hurts in a bad way and I feel delicate and afraid to do anything. Is there any hope?? Thanks for any information.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi Jean, normally after the 4/5th week most patients see an increase in pain because many times the surgeons add a long lasting numbing agent that wears off around this time.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Mom,
I am so sorry you are in pain. Even though I had more than one level, I still want to share with you my experience.
I did and I do still have legs pain; not only area where you are having, but also in some other areas.
You are still so "fresh" after surgery and that is why you have so much pain.
Often, even later than that you will see ups and downs in pain, mood, etc.

I would definitely ask my DR what can I do to relieve this pain; also your PT may suggest something too.

Best of luck on your recovery...

Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Hi Jean,

I see that you pulled up my old post from January. It sounds like your leg pain is in the same location as it was previous to your fusion...?? All my sciatic pain that I had prior to surgery was gone as soon as I was out from under the anesthetic and could tell the difference. The pain I was inquiring about is on the front or top-side of my thigh...and I still have it.

I have been working with a fabulous therapist for almost 2 months now, and she has tried everything she can think of. If anything, the exercises, ultrasound, electrical stim., etc. are just making things worse...or at least, no better. My surgeon is also starting to sound a bit baffled, but is still sticking to his story that it is residual nerve pain from the surgery.

In your case, it is much too early to worry too much. Were you given something like lyrica or neurontin to see if that helps?? Try to be patient. Angry nerve roots take a LONG time to heal and recover!! ()

xx MM

Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
(female)

DAJ819 HB User

I had a two-level fusion (lumbar) on March 31, 2008 and around 5-6 weeks post-op I started having pretty bad nerve pain. Before that I only had the normal post-op pain from the incision and stuff. I was prescribed Lyrica but the side effects were too overwhelming. I was dizzy, light-headed, had lots of stomach upset, constipation and a 10 lb. weight gain in just 12 short days. I called my surgeon and he said to stop taking it immediately and he wants to try me on Neurontin instead. I'm waiting for the prescription to be filled, so I haven't tried it yet.

Hang in there and come back to these Boards often. The people here are absolutely wonderful, very caring and helpful. I hope it gets better for you real soon.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

Hello! I had an ALIF in December 2007. Seems like so long ago, and yet recovery is still taking place. I can relate to the leg pain, I had/have that as well, I also had strange numbness in my legs but that has resolved almost 90%. For about a month now I have had constant pain in my right leg, in the back of the leg from the bottom cheek to almost the knee. Usually the nerve will flare up and hurt for a few days and then get better but this has been ongoing for a month now. It can be very severe. On a positive note I think I am FINALLY feeling some pain relief with my back! I have several days in a row now that my back does not hurt!!

Lori

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Yup~ Hearts, everyone keeps saying it can take up to 2 years for nerves to recover. I'm just a month behind you with my surgery. I had spondylolisthesis at L4-5 and stenosis.

My problem is trying to figure out if my new pain is caused by PT and the musces I haven't used in years, or if it's something new with my back. My therapist has been doing a lot of work so that I build up the ligaments connecting to the SI joints and also work with the pelvic floor muscles. She's a big believer in the connection between weak pelvic floor muscles and back pain.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
(female)

moon poodle HB User
pain 19 years after anterior/posterior spinal fusion

Hi there-

19 years ago I had an anterior/posterior spinal fusion. I am fused from my hips to above my shoulder blades. I have only 6 vertebra that are not fused. I have constant pain every day, especially when the weather is humid...if the humidity is over 65% I am in agony. I have spinal stenosis from my arthritis and the bone growth is growing so rapidly that almost every nerve in my back is being pushed on and I have mostly pain everywhere but I have nasty flare ups where I can feel shooting pain inside my body and it is just unbearable! I started seeing a pain management doctor about a year ago and have been getting Marcaine/ Kenalog injections every three weeks, sometimes I only get relief for five days and then it's back to square one. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Myofasial Pain. I keep a pain journal and have only had 3 pain free days this year. I am 39 years old and sometimes getting out of bed to make coffee is an ordeal. I live alone and can only bring up one bag of groceries up my steps at a time. It's not a good way to live and very frustrating. Above my fusion I have a lot of wear and tear on my vertebra and a few bulging disks. I feel most days that someone is hitting me with a baseball bat and the sensation never goes away, unless I am asleep. I was reluctant to take any pain killers but now I take Soma when I am home and I take Vicodin all day long....sometime 8 or 9 per day. I work full time and I sit at the computer all day long. By lunchtime I cannot feel anything below my hips...just numbness. I am seeing a neurologist on Wednesday to see if he can do some more advanced trigger point injections that will help me better than what I am receiving now, but I am doubtful. I am on FMLA at work and take almost one day a week off which stinks but when I can't even dress myself or get down my steps for the pain, it's the only thing I can do. Just rest. But that is depressing in itself, just laying around alone does not help and people really do not understand. Do I have to live like this forever? The Vicodin only takes the edge off that's it. I thought it would do more but my pain is deep and persistent. When I take the Vicodin it feels like I am taking Tylenol but I am afraid to take anything stronger as I do not want to get addicted and be a zombie. That is not a satisfying life for me as I am as active as I can be. I get Chiropractic care for the disks that can move and do a massage every week but it's only a temporary fix. I do light exercises at the gym, I stretch everyday and now that it's summer I joined the pool near me and try to swim everyday, if I can drag my but there! If there's anyone out there that has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I am at the point where I am reduced to tears a few times a week as when I had the surgery I thought I would be all better but since I had bone harvested from my hips, shoulder blades and ribs everything hurts! My surgeon never told me about the side effects that would plague me 2 decades later but I had to have the surgery as my curvature was 80% and my ribs were starting to constrict my lungs. I had no choice in the matter. My e-mail is ***@**** and would love to hear from anyone that is suffering as I am. I just keep praying for myself and everyone out there like me that is suffering from Chronic Pain. God bless and hopefully I will hear from anyone that is in pain like me.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Moon Poodle,

You should probably start a new thread if you hope to get responses. This thread is two years old and most of the folks on it don't post anymore. If you keep an eye on the date above the name on the left, you will be able to tell if it is an active thread or not.[/COLOR]

Closed Thread